Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Who ride with sunglasses, and where?

Forum for kitesurfers
OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Who ride with sunglasses, and where?

Postby OzBungy » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:54 pm

Short answer, yes I now wear sunglasses. I used to wear them sporadically in the past. I live in Australia. Kite almost every day all year round. I guess about 1/3 of people wear sunglasses.

Everybody should wear sunglasses. The effects of UV are cumulative. Not everybody will get eye problems. The UV is the cause, but genetics is the trigger for actual medical problems. There's no way to tell if you're genetically susceptible to eye problems.

The problem with sunglasses is that they don't work very well on the water. Virtually every kind of treatment and cleaning regime fails in the end. All glasses will fog. All glasses will get drops and muck on them. You can fix things to an extent by dipping your face in the water. The result is not always that good. I have tried lots of glasses but always end up giving up on them.

I am now wearing Lips Typhoon and Surge sunglasses. The Surge are expensive, the Typhoons outrageously expensive. Thing is, they work pretty well. I am continuing to wear these glasses. The Surge are good, the Typhoons better. The coatings are permanent so you don't have to keep applying stuff like RainX (which doesn't work). At their worst the water contracts to fairly small drops and dries to a few spots. That's much better than the dried sheets of salt water or murk you get on ordinary glasses.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jakemoore » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:01 am

Johhnn wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:15 pm
Who wants someone cutting into your eyeball to replace your natural lens with a piece of plastic?
About 3,000,000 a year in the US. And every year I get a few people who want a refractive clear lens exchange with a multifocal IOL. Important to recognize anybody who lives long enough will get a cataract. Sunglasses will delay but not totally prevent cataract. Luckily the treatment is not that bad. Pterygium on the other hand is one I’d like to avoid if at all possible!

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:29 am

Wow those kite lines don't offer much shade to my eyes !! :o
That's what i realized quickly after having windsurfed for so long and switching sport
The sail acted as a shield for years and years on certain wind directions

Pemba
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Murrebue
Gear: Eleveight FS, Shinn Bronq

Postby Pemba » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:32 am

I live/kite in Northern Mozambique. In my 50's, spent around 30 years or so closish to the equator. I've tried sunglasses (seaspecs) but I hate them for kiting, except for downwinders. I misjudge distances (landings) and I guess I probably try to be careful not to lose them or slam them hard, like a little rucksack or something. And they always fog up, I end up dipping my head in the water every 5 minutes. However, reading all of this, I think I'll have to get over all of that.. Interesting read.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:26 pm

OzBungy wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:54 pm

I am now wearing Lips Typhoon and Surge sunglasses. The Surge are expensive, the Typhoons outrageously expensive. Thing is, they work pretty well. I am continuing to wear these glasses. The Surge are good, the Typhoons better. The coatings are permanent so you don't have to keep applying stuff like RainX (which doesn't work). At their worst the water contracts to fairly small drops and dries to a few spots. That's much better than the dried sheets of salt water or murk you get on ordinary glasses.
Me too, I wear Lip Surge sunglasses and have no problems with them. If you do get very small dried spots then the trick is to ignore them and look past them and your brain quickly reprograms itself (iykwim) and you don't see them any more.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:27 pm

OzBungy wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:54 pm

Me too, I wear Lip Surge sunglasses and have no problems with them. If you do get very small dried spots then the trick is to ignore them and look past them and your brain quickly reprograms itself (iykwim) and you don't see the spots any more.

markymarc
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 80
Local Beach: Katwijk aan Zee
Favorite Beaches: Big Bay / Dolphin beach
Cabarete
El Cabezo
Zandmotor / Wijk aan Zee
Sprecklesville
Style: freeride boosting big air / big waves
Gear: Duotone Jaime SLS 2022 136 cm
Cabrinha Switchblade 7,9,11 2021
North Whip 2014
Cabrinha Contra 15m 2014
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby markymarc » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:37 pm

I have been in quite some kiteplaces in the world and the only place I have worn sunglasses is in Cabarete. Not due to the sun but due to the extremely salt water and the splashing in the eye, because of the choppy conditions..

Normally no sunglasses of course due to the lack of good sight when wearing them..

Do you use them for the UV-protection or for the salt water-protection? I do the latter..

ap888
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Zion/K peir/Inver/Goderich
Favorite Beaches: Good wind/Flat water/Good waves
Style: Foil/Loops/Big Air/Strapless
Gear: Ozone Uno V2 4m
North Neo (17) 5m
Cabrinha Drifter (16) 8m
Flysurfer Sonic 2 -11m
Moses
BWS Stallion 5’
CrazyFly Shox Custom 135
Groove Skate
Ride Engine
Brand Affiliation: HFL

Postby ap888 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:33 am

I never use them because I ride in fresh water and the sun is not strong up north in Ontario

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:39 am

I wear SeaSpecs all the time, not so much for protection, but just because of their coolness factor. When I'm rocking them in the city streets, people are sometimes so blown away by the awesome, I see them pointing me out to their friends ... so I give them a shout out "Yo, respect the strap!" as I pass them by. But for the nightclub, I figure I need to up my game ... gonna get some some of those goggle styles next. :dance: :dance: :dance:

<kidding aside: yes, I wear sunglasses most sunny days, but lately have been using those $2-3 safety glasses, UV protected, no drama when you lose them / break them (when, not if), and frankly I think they actually look better than most of the kiting sunglasses....a deal at 1% the price>

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:12 am

juandesooka wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:39 am
When I'm rocking them in the city streets, people are sometimes so blown away by the awesome, I see them pointing me out to their friends ... so I give them a shout out "Yo, respect the strap!">
Bravo!

Return to “Kitesurfing”