PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Re: How to self launch a kite

Postby PullStrings » Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:04 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:25 am
those of us not wanting to abandon kites unnecessarily to the "safety" and take pot luck with the resting place have better ways to handle our gear.
Yours is just not "the best way" to self land a kite.
Self landing on a self launching thread

Quick Release to me is in case of extreme danger ...like kite in the water in heavy surf because of LE deflating...line break...wind drop etc...getting rid of kite also from leash
But to land a kite ...the technique to pull the top front line changes as the wind gets stronger and stronger...as you need to get closer and closer to the kite
In very windy solo landings with a 5 or 6 sqm walking up the two front lines "all the way" to the kite while remaining in the chicken loop with bar hanging is my method
Kite lands where you put it on it's wingtip...you grab your own LE... put your own kite down...put your bar & lines on top of canopy.....no re-assembling of QR
Some will say it is an advanced technique and dangerous
I say schools should teach it extensively

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby iriejohn » Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:50 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
OK, accepting that his is not "the best way" to land a kite would you please describe exactly what is "the best way" to land a kite?

Thanks.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:52 pm

Using the QR is a great way to self land.

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Lennox Head, NSW, Australia
Favorite Beaches: There is a reason I live in Lennox Head.
Style: Old Coot. strapped surfboard
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V7, 10/14 Enduro v4, Zephyr V7, Edge V12 10M, Alpha V2 8/14M, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" couple of custom Blacksheep surfboards Mystic Stealth harness and stealth rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisFoils, Armstrong, Core, Cabrinha, Slingshot, North

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:12 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
Ozone Kites AUS wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:05 am
OK so you have never used my method. BUT you are an expert on it and can declare it a terrible and dangerous method, :D

I've seen so many people mangle themselves and others nearby with the method shown in the JK vid, because they try this method in strong winds, not 10 knots like in his video. When they let go of the bar to yank on the top line, one or the other rear lines will loop around the bar, then when the kite does not sit down, KABooM! we have a death looping kite, or people get their fingers and hands caught in the lines.

My method keeps hands and fingers completely clear of the lines, you learn how to use the safety, where it is, what it does, and if you get it wrong (while still learning it properly) the worst that happens is that it will tumble downwind (mostly only once) and land nose into the wind.

And if you want to, you can put the kite on the sand and then pop the safety, but this method does not work so well in strong winds and will lead to tumbling of the kite regularly, thats why I show to turn the kite down and then pop the main safety simultaneously pulling the flag out line. Practice it and report back Kevin, don't just rubbish something thats well proven and useful because you have a grudge against me.
I've never let Jesus take the wheel but I can tell it's not something I want to try.

10 knots? Is there are method that doesn't work in 10 knots? It's enough to just angle the kite towards the ground then walk towards it.

JK method works fine in strong winds because it's the same thing you're doing, with the useful exception that you still have control of the kite and it's going down exactly where you tell it.

You can avoid any tumbling downwind by doing it properly the first time.

Well proven? I've seen your safety landing fail more then the other methods - as you said, tumbling downwind through everyone's gear.

Perhaps, Steve, casa McCormack has more beach out there at Lennox Heads to play with, and those of us not wanting to abandon kites unnecessarily to the "safety" and take pot luck with the resting place have better ways to handle our gear.

Grudge, Steve? Don't be so precious. Yours is just not "the best way" to self land a kite.
So just to be really clear, you have never tried my method, but declare it terrible and akin to letting the spirit of a dead person drive your car for you?

Then you declare that the JK method which you fully endorse, is the same as what I'm doing, but its comprehensively better.

All while ignoring that in the JK method, you also let go of the bar which is the part of my method thats freaking you out.

And people can avoid mistakes just by doing things right the first time.

Then you try to say you don't have an obsessive grudge against me, yet stalk my posts on multiple forums.

No worries Kev.

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Eduardo » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:18 am

As a traveler for wind/waves, a key missing point is that the best technique is site specific. While top spots usually have someone to help, there's no guarantee, especially late or early in the day. Many great spots have a huge wind shadow at the beach so 'light wind' techniques can work. For travelers, I suggest to learn all of these techniques :

In my view, tether is best if possible, but in many spots it is not possible. So every kiter should know the other options. Even though the video is done in light wind, I assure you the non-tethered launch/land shown (also in the Ozone video) are done regularly in Maui in 25+ (although with slight modifications on the timing).

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:20 am

iriejohn wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:50 pm
Kamikuza wrote:
OK, accepting that his is not "the best way" to land a kite would you please describe exactly what is "the best way" to land a kite?

Thanks.
What Eduardo said -- and one that never sees you giving up control of the kite.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:20 am

PullStrings wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:04 pm
Kamikuza wrote:
those of us not wanting to abandon kites unnecessarily to the "safety" and take pot luck with the resting place have better ways to handle our gear.
Self landing on a self launching thread

Quick Release to me is in case of extreme danger ...like kite in the water in heavy surf because of LE deflating...line break...wind drop etc...getting rid of kite also from leash
But to land a kite ...the technique to pull the top front line changes as the wind gets stronger and stronger...as you need to get closer and closer to the kite
In very windy solo landings with a 5 or 6 sqm walking up the two front lines "all the way" to the kite while remaining in the chicken loop with bar hanging is my method
Kite lands where you put it on it's wingtip...you grab your own LE... put your own kite down...put your bar & lines on top of canopy.....no re-assembling of QR
Some will say it is an advanced technique and dangerous
I say schools should teach it extensively
Yeah I can't take credit for dropping landing videos in here...
Last edited by Kamikuza on Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:30 am

Ozone Kites AUS wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:12 pm
So just to be really clear, you have never tried my method, but declare it terrible and akin to letting the spirit of a dead person drive your car for you?

Then you declare that the JK method which you fully endorse, is the same as what I'm doing, but its comprehensively better.

All while ignoring that in the JK method, you also let go of the bar which is the part of my method thats freaking you out.

Then you try to say you don't have an obsessive grudge against me, yet stalk my posts on multiple forums.

No worries Kev.
What part of "I've seen it fail several times" did you misunderstand? Why would I want to try something that I know fails more than other ways of doing it?

It's same in that it's coming down on one line. You don't need me to point that out, do you.

*If* you let go the bar, the steering lines aren't under tension, so the bar is not going to shoot away out of arm's reach.

Surely you'd know all that with all your years of experience?

Stalking? :lol: It's not like I'm taking it off-site and annoying you on Facebook or challenging you to a phone call on Messenger or subscribing to your YouTube channel.

It's a public forum, princess. Don't want replies -- don't post. After no posts on here for 8 months, why the sudden need?

And to tell the truth, I'd posted my original comment before I'd noticed who'd posted it.

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Lennox Head, NSW, Australia
Favorite Beaches: There is a reason I live in Lennox Head.
Style: Old Coot. strapped surfboard
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V7, 10/14 Enduro v4, Zephyr V7, Edge V12 10M, Alpha V2 8/14M, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" couple of custom Blacksheep surfboards Mystic Stealth harness and stealth rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisFoils, Armstrong, Core, Cabrinha, Slingshot, North

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:03 am

Kamikuza wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:30 am
Ozone Kites AUS wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:12 pm

No worries Kev.
What part of "I've seen it fail several times" did you misunderstand? Why would I want to try something that I know fails more than other ways of doing it?

It's same in that it's coming down on one line. You don't need me to point that out, do you.

*If* you let go the bar, the steering lines aren't under tension, so the bar is not going to shoot away out of arm's reach.

Surely you'd know all that with all your years of experience?

Stalking? :lol: It's not like I'm taking it off-site and annoying you on Facebook or challenging you to a phone call on Messenger or subscribing to your YouTube channel.

It's a public forum, princess. Don't want replies -- don't post. After no posts on here for 8 months, why the sudden need?

And to tell the truth, I'd posted my original comment before I'd noticed who'd posted it.
Sorry Kev mate its you who does not seem to understand.
People are actually not doing it as shown in the video, you are interpreting what you have seen to be the same, but they are not popping the safety to do it, they are just yanking on one line or something and you're assuming thats the same without ever trying the method in the video.
No-one has commented thats exactly how I do it, have they? So its not a widely used method is it? Many people are commenting that they like it though, these are people that have tried it, which is what you need to do. (and learn it so you get it right the first time of course :D )
You agree that in the JK method you are letting go of the bar to pull on the top line with your fingers and hands.
How is dropping the bar to yank on the top line in the JK method different to my method?
I don't know what bar you use, but on my Ozone bars I can reach them, and I'm a shortass.

Perhaps I should not say its "the best" but you know quite well its a free world and I'm entitled to my opinion on this forum. Perhaps I should say its the best way to self land an Ozone kite with an Ozone bar and lines, and I will when I re-edit it. I will incorporate all positive, constructive feedback because I want to make kiting safer for everyone.
Who are you to question when or how frequently myself or anyone else posts?

Follow the thread back a page and you'll see "fun2kite" posted a link to an impractical way to land, so I responded with a method I know through all my years of experience to be safe and easy to learn.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:40 am

Have a merry Christmas, Steve.

Return to “Kitesurfing”