Forum for kitesurfers
Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Cabrinha bar repair advice pls

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:31 am

"Unnecessary" is relative. Considering how rarely I use it, any trim system is unnecessary :lol:
pākihiroa wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:25 am
jakemoore wrote:I simply can’t think of a reason to put this part on any bar I have:
(1) It keeps the bar within easy reach for those of us that who aren't blessed with Neanderthal length arms.
(2) Under normal circumstances, it automatically puts the bar into 'neutral' by just letting go of it but allows the option of further de-power by actively pushing it away.
(3) In critical situations (think tomahawk) it automatically goes to full de-power (fully compressed spring) by just letting go of the bar.

I have both the trim lite and the over-drive/recoil/trim-strap style bars and I prefer all three aspect of the latter over the trim lite. Admittedly it is a bit heavier but the extra weight is unnoticeable when the kite is flying. Choice is good :thumb:
Zing! nailed it.

Also:

(4) when the bar is full compressing the spring with the kite parked at the zenith, it's gonna be a really good session.

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Postby badgb21 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:29 pm

I agree, never had much of a problem with the recoil spring.
Only time I notice it, is when winding lines up.

The part which I still find 'under-engineered' for the wants of a better description, is the reliance of the bar to function on $0.02 of bungee cord, tensioning the QR on many manufacturers bars/control systems.
I've had one fail and see a couple of others whose sessions have been cut short due to it failing.
Not sure about recent years, but they even used to give you a a spare piece of cord when new.

I just keep an eye on any wear and change it out if required. Also keep a spare piece in the car.

Kamikuza wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:31 am
"Unnecessary" is relative. Considering how rarely I use it, any trim system is unnecessary :lol:
pākihiroa wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:25 am
jakemoore wrote:I simply can’t think of a reason to put this part on any bar I have:
(1) It keeps the bar within easy reach for those of us that who aren't blessed with Neanderthal length arms.
(2) Under normal circumstances, it automatically puts the bar into 'neutral' by just letting go of it but allows the option of further de-power by actively pushing it away.
(3) In critical situations (think tomahawk) it automatically goes to full de-power (fully compressed spring) by just letting go of the bar.

I have both the trim lite and the over-drive/recoil/trim-strap style bars and I prefer all three aspect of the latter over the trim lite. Admittedly it is a bit heavier but the extra weight is unnoticeable when the kite is flying. Choice is good :thumb:
Zing! nailed it.

Also:

(4) when the bar is full compressing the spring with the kite parked at the zenith, it's gonna be a really good session.

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:51 pm

windeze wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:31 am
I've a 2015 trimstrap bar.
Can anyone suggest what line length and thickness I need to replace this.
The line is 4mm, or at least that's stated in all Cabrinha spare parts catalogues to date.
Main reason for the failure of this line is sand/abrasion. Once it gets in it can't be flushed out. Replacing the line only will most probably result in more sand getting in and faster wear. Unless you find a way to seal it at both ends. Cabrinha havn't apparently.

Depending on your location, I'd suggest you check below links. Best/cheapest solution would be if the 2017/2018 Depower Main Line fits the 2015 bar. If the difference is length only, this should be no major issue. You might need to adjust a bit the front/rear lines length and the bungee landing line that runs in the other bore of the PU tube should be the same model year/length as the depower main line.

KS5DEPMLE - your Depower Main Line
KS6ODPMLE - 2016 model. Should fit without any problem.

€39.00 / https://online.puremagic.ie/products/ca ... ne-2015-16
$65.00 / https://greenhatkiteboarding.com/catalo ... +MAIN+LINE
$20.99 / https://adventuresportsusa.com/cabrinha ... ecoil.html (select "Recoil" then the price $20.99 shows up)
$22-$28 / https://www.asap-direct.com/goods/searc ... ame=rcdpml (that's their own shop in Hong Kong, ask them if they can arrange shipping by normal post or some cheap courier)

Would be nice if some of the Cab guys here confirm if 2017/2018 models fit the 2015 bars?!
Attachments
KS8RCDPML.JPG

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:11 am

nixmatters wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:51 pm
The line is 4mm, or at least that's stated in all Cabrinha spare parts catalogues to date.
Main reason for the failure of this line is sand/abrasion. Once it gets in it can't be flushed out. Replacing the line only will most probably result in more sand getting in and faster wear. Unless you find a way to seal it at both ends. Cabrinha havn't apparently.
Broke at the triangle at the bottom of the trim strap -- outside the tube.

I'm not convinced sand down the tube is an issue. I've had Cab bars since 2009 and to be honest, they really only ever got dunked or sprayed to get the bulk of sand off the outside -- I never bothered trying to flush the tube.

When I changed the mainline on the bar, it too had broken at the triangle but there was no wear on the inside.

However, the 2017 bar I had *did* snap inside the tube, after maybe 6 months use. There was quite the plague on it that season... Shop guy and us arm-chair experts decided it was because they hadn't spliced the two lines, one inside the other, inside the tube, so they rubbing and melted themselves thin until they snapped. They've gone back to splicing and no more breakages that I've heard of...

That's my theory anyway :D

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:40 am

I also observed that the inside of the trimlite cleat is razor-sharp sometimes. Multiple bars I had in my workshop looked like this. So it is not only sand that is eating away the thin ropes
IMG-20181106-WA0002.jpeg
IMG-20181106-WA0000.jpeg
Evan - Infexion

windeze
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: mangroovy
Style: lawnmower
Gear: 8 and 11 sblade.14.5 flite
Brand Affiliation: none
Been thanked: 0

Postby windeze » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:30 am

Thanks for all your help. Looks like the part is available ready made... But can anyone point me to the part number for a 2015 bar?
Nick

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:49 am

You find parts numbers in the back of the product catalogs... about page 36 depending on your actual year -- match the bar color.

https://www.cabrinhakites.com/pages/product-catalog

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:42 am

windeze wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:30 am
Thanks for all your help. Looks like the part is available ready made... But can anyone point me to the part number for a 2015 bar?
Nick
Didn't you see my reply above?!

KS5DEPMLE is the code for your Depower Main Line
KS6ODPMLE is the 2016 model, should work on your bar.
Make sure you get a new SLF landing line from same model year.
Attachments
Screenshot_20181228-071634~2.png

Return to “Kitesurfing”