Nexus
Harlem Light
Shinn Bronq
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 29000 new kiters in 2018

Postby k2thiago » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:07 am

FLandOBX wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:57 am

I think you'll find that there are very few IKO (or PASA or any other variety) instructors who make much money. Most work to support their kiteboarding lifestyle, but there aren't many instructors who make much more than just enough to pay their expenses. That's not to say that there aren't others in the sport who do well financially, but not the instructors. Most instructors do it because they love the sport and the lifestyle, but it's rare to make significant money as an instructor.
I totally agree, I wasn't clear when I said some people make money with IKO... I meant the ones in the higher levels of the organization. Again, is very similar to the scuba business, as you said they do it for the lifestyle, very few can make real money.... be there, done that!

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:33 am

k2thiago wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:07 am
FLandOBX wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:57 am

I think you'll find that there are very few IKO (or PASA or any other variety) instructors who make much money. Most work to support their kiteboarding lifestyle, but there aren't many instructors who make much more than just enough to pay their expenses. That's not to say that there aren't others in the sport who do well financially, but not the instructors. Most instructors do it because they love the sport and the lifestyle, but it's rare to make significant money as an instructor.
I totally agree, I wasn't clear when I said some people make money with IKO... I meant the ones in the higher levels of the organization. Again, is very similar to the scuba business, as you said they do it for the lifestyle, very few can make real money.... be there, done that!
The main reason is IKO instructor qualification level is very low. Basically everybody passes and anyway is not recognised by countries with a kitesurfing federation . This creates an abundance of "wannabe instructors" with little or no experience hence low wedges and hard to find jobs.

Some countries (France for sure) have their own state run (non profit) instructor training courses. Level is very hi, takes 2 years,few commit and passe the course. Result is those who are certified are in hi demand get good salaries and most of all do a proper job of teaching the sport.

Barryg101
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tarifa, Obidos & Brouwersdam
Favorite Beaches: Dahkla
Style: Freestyle , Big Air & Megaloops
Gear: Eleveight FS & Cabrinha FX

Postby Barryg101 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:40 am

gator1 wrote: IKO = some travelling butthead cramming as many lessons as he can into a season regardless if the students learnt anything or not.
I for one am most definitely not a butthead trying to cram as lessons ad possible. How can you even cram lessons? You teach classes when it's windy the cramming part makes no sence to me ? My aim is to get people interested in the same thing I love. Your blanket judgment of a whole community of guys most who are making a living and loving it is negative and complete crap ! I'm amazed at how negative some people are about IKO instructors and also the Organization itself !

As an instructor myself my aim is genuinely share my passion with people who are interested and want to give kiteboarding a try and I love it ! Of course IKO is a money making business it's not a charity organization and for sure there are bad instructors out there just like there are bad school teachers , dentists, lawyers doctors whatever.

I'm earing a very decent living from this lifestyle along with my partner and our students are getting stoked and loving the experience of learning to kite , 6 of my fellow instructors are hard working people who are all IKO instructors and very happy with the money they are earning and the nice office they get to be spending their days surrounded by enthusiastic people who all want to be out on the board .

Previously I was a big earner with a very nice income but terrible lifestyle and now I'm earning more than enough and living in a lovely kite spot with like minded people...

IKO is far from perfect and there will always be people with poor intentions and giving the IKO a bad name but I do believe the majority are just like me and my partner who are just out there to enjoy the healthy lifestyle while sharing our love for the sport with others.

From my experience quite a few guys end up continuing to kitesurf and even come back to the spot with their own kites and that is pretty nice ! The ones that dont keep going or never continue, well at least they gave it a try and got out on the water too so it's all good either way right?

I had to post my opinion about this because from where I am it's not as horrible, poorly paid or buttheaded like that pessimistic Gator seems to think it is . . .

Maybe have a chat with some other instructors and you will see we are not all air headed gangsters rather just passionate guys who are eager to get others to go kite !

Happy kiting and good winds

kiterocky
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Montpellier
Gear: Wipika
Brand Affiliation: Wipika

Postby kiterocky » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:24 am

Iko ruin the sport and the spot....if u are istructor u are part of it...find a real job and go kite instead teach others...thanku

CaptainCore
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seabrook Kent
Favorite Beaches: Nyali - Kenya
Style: Old School
Gear: Core Nexus. Fusion 4, Moses
Brand Affiliation: Gods own Core.

Postby CaptainCore » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:53 pm

Barryg101 wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:40 am

As an instructor myself my aim is genuinely share my passion with people who are interested and want to give kiteboarding a try and I love it !
And if only we had more like you.

Don't listen to the negative dickheads that seem to infest this place these days, they have no idea of the true worth of kite instructors, unsung heroes the lot of them, worth twice the value of any 'Pro' rider, in fact I'd go as far as to say the only true 'professionals' of any real value to our continued existence.

Because without newcomers to replace the natural wastage of people dropping out for any number of reasons, then equipment supply becomes very scarce and very over priced, you think it's bad now? You only have to take a look at how high the costs of windsurfing equipment has escalated since their school system virtually collapsed into none existence.

Personally I'm happy to see a beach full of beginners, OK I wouldn't ride there myself, but then there are plenty of other beaches.

And if the kite instructor manages to scrape even a half decent life style then full credit to him or her and thank you very much for your passion and sharing nature.

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:56 pm

CaptainCore wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:53 pm
Barryg101 wrote:

As an instructor myself my aim is genuinely share my passion with people who are interested and want to give kiteboarding a try and I love it !
And if only we had more like you.

Don't listen to the negative dickheads that seem to infest this place these days, they have no idea of the true worth of kite instructors, unsung heroes the lot of them, worth twice the value of any 'Pro' rider, in fact I'd go as far as to say the only true 'professionals' of any real value to our continued existence.

Because without newcomers to replace the natural wastage of people dropping out for any number of reasons, then equipment supply becomes very scarce and very over priced, you think it's bad now? You only have to take a look at how high the costs of windsurfing equipment has escalated since their school system virtually collapsed into none existence.

Personally I'm happy to see a beach full of beginners, OK I wouldn't ride there myself, but then there are plenty of other beaches.

And if the kite instructor manages to scrape even a half decent life style then full credit to him or her and thank you very much for your passion and sharing nature.
Ad hominem attacks usually do not help further one's view point. I think most here applaud good instructors but are critical of IKO.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:03 pm

Well said, Barryg101. Thank you for posting that perspective. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Barryg101 wrote:
gator1 wrote: IKO = some travelling butthead cramming as many lessons as he can into a season regardless if the students learnt anything or not.
I for one am most definitely not a butthead trying to cram as lessons ad possible. How can you even cram lessons? You teach classes when it's windy the cramming part makes no sence to me ? My aim is to get people interested in the same thing I love. Your blanket judgment of a whole community of guys most who are making a living and loving it is negative and complete crap ! I'm amazed at how negative some people are about IKO instructors and also the Organization itself !

As an instructor myself my aim is genuinely share my passion with people who are interested and want to give kiteboarding a try and I love it ! Of course IKO is a money making business it's not a charity organization and for sure there are bad instructors out there just like there are bad school teachers , dentists, lawyers doctors whatever.

I'm earing a very decent living from this lifestyle along with my partner and our students are getting stoked and loving the experience of learning to kite , 6 of my fellow instructors are hard working people who are all IKO instructors and very happy with the money they are earning and the nice office they get to be spending their days surrounded by enthusiastic people who all want to be out on the board .

Previously I was a big earner with a very nice income but terrible lifestyle and now I'm earning more than enough and living in a lovely kite spot with like minded people...

IKO is far from perfect and there will always be people with poor intentions and giving the IKO a bad name but I do believe the majority are just like me and my partner who are just out there to enjoy the healthy lifestyle while sharing our love for the sport with others.

From my experience quite a few guys end up continuing to kitesurf and even come back to the spot with their own kites and that is pretty nice ! The ones that dont keep going or never continue, well at least they gave it a try and got out on the water too so it's all good either way right?

I had to post my opinion about this because from where I am it's not as horrible, poorly paid or buttheaded like that pessimistic Gator seems to think it is . . .

Maybe have a chat with some other instructors and you will see we are not all air headed gangsters rather just passionate guys who are eager to get others to go kite !

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:44 pm

Learning with an instructor is safer and faster, and if you account for cost of vacation flight/stay, it might be also more cost effective.
And I don't mean beginners only - at some point there are critical hints and corrections you can get on the tricks.

Merry peaceful Christmas to all riding folks, let there be more of us!

ap888
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Zion/K peir/Inver/Goderich
Favorite Beaches: Good wind/Flat water/Good waves
Style: Foil/Loops/Big Air/Strapless
Gear: Ozone Uno V2 4m
North Neo (17) 5m
Cabrinha Drifter (16) 8m
Flysurfer Sonic 2 -11m
Moses
BWS Stallion 5’
CrazyFly Shox Custom 135
Groove Skate
Ride Engine
Brand Affiliation: HFL

Postby ap888 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:26 pm

sarc wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:07 pm
Got hit in the face by kite lines TWICE this year while riding. Gotta love having a bajillion beginners around. I think that kite schools that teach safety, right of way, placing your kite higher to zenith if you are upwind of someone and lower if you are downwind, and NOT FRIGGING WRAPPING YOUR KITE LINES AROUND OTHER RIDER'S FACE while they are riding are a myth. I ride deserted beaches when I can but riding alone has its own risks. No-win!!! :-?
Every single kite boarder was a beginner at some point...

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:46 pm

...and a beginner is less maneuveriable vessel so he has right of way in same situation we don’t

Return to “Kitesurfing”