Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: casalava@puntapequeña.
Favorite Beaches: Uncrowded ones
Style: Strapless surf
Gear: Duotone Neo, Firewire, Appletree

Surfing Un-hooked

Postby Jwoo » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:31 pm

I'm trying to get my head around surfing unhooked. Our wind is side off and unfortunately very gusty. While unhooked, there is no way to trim the bar in and out to help adjust for strong gusts and holes. While hooked, I'm constantly adjusting the bar to take up gusts, or keep from outrunning the kite through holes. I could see how unhooked would be fun in steady wind, but has anyone come up with a method to avoid getting hammered in strong gusts, and still keep the kite flying in holes while surfing unhooked? Does anyone ride unhooked in gusty wind?

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Surfing Un-hooked

Postby tomtom » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:01 pm

imo whole point of unhooking is keep hands up and front of you /imagine surfing hands position/ and bar in front hand. Adjust your bar to long depower throw and alway hold bar in front hand while front side turning.
Also unhooking in surf is almost without line tension because kite drift while you ride wave. And that is my point - with no power in line it almost doesn matter where kite pull /harness/ hand/ but hand position while surfing matters a lot.

Flyfish
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Nor Cal
Style: Wave
Gear: Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Surfing Un-hooked

Postby Flyfish » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:14 pm

Hey Jwoo, where in Mexico do you ride?

Unhooked wave riding is the best experience you can have. Ben Wilson video tips are well worth the watch:

Return to “Kitesurfing”