Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Making launch safer - learning from the experts

Postby Toby » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:15 pm

I would never want anyone to let go of my kite without giving me the ok!

A signal for the ok to let go is essential.

And always again: launch with one hand on the quick release!
This will also help to steer the kite slower...with two hands you have more force and can easier missteer the kite.

slim_charles
Frequent Poster
Gear: The best
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby slim_charles » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:17 pm

we wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:53 pm
alexglebov wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:40 am
https://youtu.be/U76QW8nUWhM
This is a short video of myself doing unhooked assisted launch. Wind speed was 18, gusting to 25 kts, super gusty and shifty, 6m kite, had no problem holding on to the kite. This is our landboarding spot.
You're hooked in when launching the kite.
Your knit picking. Kites unassisted so effectively launched so the guy is in control and can do the relevant checks. Once happy, hook in and fly up. Basically if anythings gonna go wrong it'll be whilst he's holding the CL... any probs let go. Don't know why Sarc gets so much grief for this, as he says many would have probably avoided incident doing it this way. Have launched this way for over 10yrs without incident... not even had to drop the CL yet ;)

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:31 pm

Toby wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:15 pm
And always again: launch with one hand on the quick release!
This will also help to steer the kite slower...with two hands you have more force and can easier miss steer the kite.
The upper hand on the bar ...the lower hand on QR...as kite starts to take off from beach...or assistant's hands

With two hands on the bar at launch and your bar happens to be " the wrong way "....you will totally miss steer the kite to noon and downwind...dangerous surprise !!

But if bar is the " wrong way " and only your upper hand is on the bar...the kite won't even take off...and you will be able to tell right then that the bar need to be spun 180

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:43 pm

Well said 👍🏻

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster

Postby PullStrings » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:57 pm

slim_charles wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:17 pm
Anythings gonna go wrong it'll be whilst he's holding the CL... any probs let go.
Have launched this way for over 10yrs without incident... not even had to drop the CL yet ;)
That's good !! but it also proves a point that holding the CL is not necessary....10 years...that's what ? 1700 launches of no drop
So many years for me hooked in the QR from the get go.....well except of course in the early days with no QR and pulley bars...or 2 lines kites...totally unhooked self launches
It could very well be that we are both very careful ...triple check...and know the wind

OK here is a tip no matter how you launch...anchor..slide...assisted...sandbag...if there enough wind speed a the surface to keep kite on wingtip

Face the water or kite close to water...that way you wont need to send the kite to zenith and over to go into the water....prevents possible lofting
With bar the correct way... launch... but only let kite go up 10 feet
Bring kite back down right away on lower wingtip
Let it rest 10 seconds by letting go both hands from the bar and putting hand or hands on QR....if you need to pull in trimmer some more now is the time
Move yourself upwind just a bit and assess the situation...all clear with the lines ...and any people downwind that could be in danger
Move yourself downwind a bit and now re "take-off "all on your own " with upper hand on bar lower hand on QR
Keep in my mind that you are still in danger until you get in the water and clear the beach
Stay self aware the whole time on land that you might just have to QR and detach " your leash completely from safety line" to save your life in high winds

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:52 pm

slim_charles wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:17 pm
we wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:53 pm
alexglebov wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:40 am
https://youtu.be/U76QW8nUWhM
This is a short video of myself doing unhooked assisted launch. Wind speed was 18, gusting to 25 kts, super gusty and shifty, 6m kite, had no problem holding on to the kite. This is our landboarding spot.
You're hooked in when launching the kite.
Your knit picking. Kites unassisted so effectively launched so the guy is in control and can do the relevant checks. Once happy, hook in and fly up. Basically if anythings gonna go wrong it'll be whilst he's holding the CL... any probs let go. Don't know why Sarc gets so much grief for this, as he says many would have probably avoided incident doing it this way. Have launched this way for over 10yrs without incident... not even had to drop the CL yet ;)
No, he is not knit picking. First he attaches the safety, then he hooks in, then he launches the kite.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:07 pm

I don't think it matters if you have one hand on the QR or not. What is more important is to practice using the QR about once a week or so to build that muscle memory. It does no good to hold the QR in one hand if the last time you pulled your QR is a year ago. This is just how the body works. The brain is slow and takes 2 or 3 seconds to think about any action. Muscle memory can pull the QR in less than 25 milliseconds.

alexglebov
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Alameda, CA, USA
3rd Ave, San Mateo, CA, USA
Favorite Beaches: Lake Nitinat, BC
La Ventana, MX
Style: Mowing the lawn
Gear: Slingshot Rally

Postby alexglebov » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:00 pm

I did not invent anything new here, I just saw on this forum two things that I really liked - "kite rest" by PullStrings and "unhooked launch" by sarc - and tried to combined them. I am kiting for a little bit more then two years, I have launched my kite more then 100 times by now and I still have this helpless feeling of anxiety during the time when kite leaves the hands of the helper, because I know how high is the price of mistake. Our local launch spot is super dangerous with huge rocks directly downwind 20 meters away. If I can provide analogy it is like asking another person to pass you an apple - he can toss it to you and you catch it, or he can put this apple on the table and you take it from the table when you are ready. I felt much better while unhooked during the most critical part of the launch when kite left the hands of the helper when he placed kite at rest on the tip. I took a breather, relaxed, kite did not go anywhere while I was holding a chicken loop in my hands, I can take my time and examine my lines and bar. I agree with PullStrings about kite resting on the tip and "crunching", kite felt more in balance with less power. I agree that I was hooked in after that during the actual launch, but I was flying the kite with one top hand on the bar with the bottom hand on the release. For beginner kiters, I think the less they touch the bar, the better - we can teach them that holding chicken loop is much better then pulling on the bar with a strong two handed grip. Anyway, I tried it, really liked it and if anyone wants to try, please do.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:26 am

Do you guys also start driving your car with one hand on steering wheel and another on the key, or does another one go onto door handle so you can jump out fast if “things go wrong”? I assume you wouldn’t click the seatbelt until “safely driving the car” either.

Jean Claude was a good example how to panic and release upon slightest doubt. Don’t be like Jean Claude, nobody wants to deal with your released kite.

If you need to keep your hand on release at any point in time you are either picking questionable launch conditions/helpers or should learn minimizing risks to not be in “eject” situation by default. Either way I’d avoid people “with hand on QR” - they’re danger to me and to people/property on the beach.
These users thanked the author grigorib for the post:
andywind (Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:50 am)
Rating: 3.03%

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster

Postby PullStrings » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:16 am

One handed bar hold ( upper hand holding the bar at a 45 degrees angle a couple inches from bar end) at launch is better
Two handed bar hold ( hands holding bar tight and horizontal .... resting them against bar ends ) at launch is not good

One hand method ...the lower hand can be on the Quick Release as we have been saying
"Or the lower hand can be close to the QR".... just slightly below which i actually prefer and i'll explain

Just hold & push up with lower hand the actual loop itself against the spreader hook...this adds double security to the chicken stick in place...and is still just a few inches from QR
(Many times i have seen people walk to the water with kite flying above and their loop was just hanging at a 45 degree angle nearly out of hook !!! with stick in place)
One time this guy's loop came out of hook and he went went full power holding bar tight with both hands...got lofted...dragged..i shouted let go the bar & hit QR !!..he did and was OK

Once the kite is flying properly after launch having both hands on the bar gives you more control...just remain self aware to let go bar & hit QR asap if your life becomes in danger
Like a line snap...a bridle break..a leading edge blowout ...a knot that formed itself on a back line...all those can make a kite start looping...very very bad if still on land & windy

Your board should be waiting for you at the water's edge....put it there before the launch
Try not to carry your board with one hand and steer with the other.... especially very important in higher winds

You'll say yeah... common sense ...but in the excitement of going out and sometimes rushing....we can skips steps
Discipline can save you
Have perfect routine in place....follow it time after time...master it...eventually you will reach 1000 successful launches......2000....and so on

Return to “Kitesurfing”