2019 Watches

Forum for kitesurfers
keegster17
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 175lbs
Local Beach: Lake Ontario
Style: Free ride big air
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic 3, 13m, Flysurfer Soul 9m, Gin Spirit 12m, Flysurfer Radical board
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

2019 Watches

Postby keegster17 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:26 pm

What is the latest and greatest Kitesurfing watches? I had the Suunto Ambit 3, nice looking, but did not like the website or apps, or even support. Looking for something new.
These users thanked the author keegster17 for the post:
alexrider (Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:25 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Re: 2019 Watches

Postby norcom » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:22 pm

I've had Suunto watches since the 9x Mi and up to the Ambit 3 Peak Sapphire. They're great watches and the tracking is decent, with decent app interfaces. The Ambit BT notifiactions from my phone felt pretty basic, only displaying a few lines.

So I decided to try the Garmin Phenix 5x because it has a built in HR monitor, offline maps and better BT notifications. The battery life is nowhere near as good as the Ambit 3. The worst part is when you add kitesurfing/windsurfing/SUP tracking to the watch, their apps track these sports as "Other". So the website logs and phone app wont tell you how many sessions you had for each. I think SUP might but it still wasn't supported very well. Seems like their apps and website are mainly focused on Golf (wtf?!) as it has TONS of options for that. The notifications are great since you can read whole emails but can't reply.

So I decided to try a Samsung S3 with cell service. Turns out the Samsung forums are full of complaints about the watch not being waterproof worth a crap. It's a great cell device as I could send and reply to SMS and emails. The Tizen OS sucks though. Their app store has NOTHING in it worth using. Their built in Health app is worse than the Garmin. You can't even add custom sports to the watch. You can to the phone but they don't sync to the watch. So I decided to code some apps myself. Wrote a shitty openstreets mapper, decent tide app that I planned to release since the ones in their store weren't free. Did some personal weather/radar and live wind apps but never actually got the watch out on the water. :lol: Gave the watch to my dad last week as I kind of got bored with it.

I'll probably try the Apple Watch next. There aren't any WearOS watches that peak my interest at the moment.

In my opinion, I'd say the Suunto has the basic tracking/logging down the best. But I want cell service on the water with all the bells and whistles of a sports watch. Not many options for that really.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:59 pm

I've used the Suunto ambit 3 for 2 years. The app sync over bt is completely garbage. Only way to success is with the computer and USB.
Researched this recently and best option for gps watch is garmin Fenix 5 or 5+. ( don't believe me, read DC rainmaker reviews).
If you have an iPhone, I'd get the apple watch 4. ( I don't)
If you are OK with 5-7 days battery and Android, the amazfit stratos 2 seems a good value. A few guys here have thus one. This one doubt about longer term support and expect you'll have to buy a new one in 2:years due to no sw support/ upgrade.

Tony
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 80 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Foil
Gear: Delta HA Foils 1280,1050,850,700
Airush Nitros and Duotone Slicks
Appletree Jazz
Bunch of other gear I need to sell

Postby Tony » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:19 pm

I just bought the Garmin Fenix 5 late last month and am very happy. Battery life seems really good, haven't put it to the test but have yet to charge it overnight. Only charge it gets is when connected to my computer to configure or update apps. I didn't care about the maps or music and got the sapphire edition for a great price. I think the 5X is reported to be a little worse on battery because of the larger screen and maps. The 5s would be nice but hard to justify the increased price to get things I don't need. Garmin Connect is fine, apps are decent but not the quantity like are available with the Apple Watch. My wife and daughter have the Apple Watch but I don't have an iPhone and would not like nightly charging. I looked hard at Suunto but after reading multiple reviews, comparing functionality, decided to go with Garmin. I like having the buttons vs touch screen more than I thought. Keeps things really simple, especially outside, in water, in the gym, etc. It does everything I want. Keep in mind the optical HR sensors (wrist) are not the greatest, especially if you're using your arms a lot. I have a Polar Chest HRM (bluetooth) which is much better.
Tony

geokite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Silver Strand, Mission Bay
Favorite Beaches: Sherman, Belmont
Style: Surf, Foil
Gear: Avoid the Triton foil board, made by Newind!

B: [Firewire SP, Kanaha MM, Triton] F: [Lift, Triton, Axis] K: [Kitech, Gin]

Postby geokite » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:21 am

I use a Garmin 635. Works great for what I need. Just be sure to rinse with freshwater after use...

While at first additional activities could only be named "Other", I think an update has allowed specific naming. I have an activity named "Kiting", and it stays separate from other stuff when uploading to the phone app.

Pemba
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Murrebue
Gear: Eleveight FS, Shinn Bronq

Postby Pemba » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:51 am

I have a Garmin Fenix 3 (the one before the 5). I'm sure you should be able to do beter than "other" for a kitesurfing app. I have a "Windkitesurf" app but I didn't lose time looking for one, I expect there will be other/better ones. I'm sure you can also quite easily put together your own, a friend of mine did that. I use the watch mostly for swimming and for that, understandably the tracking is sometimes a bit sketchy but for oher activities it seems fine. The Altimeter and barometer stopped working within days. Battery in my case lasts about a week but would obviously depend on how much yo use the GPS. I would get the one with the sapphire screen next time. Also the strap is weak - it broke within about 6 months. I think the watch works great as an activity tracker. It's too sensitive for me to wear on a daily basis but I'm happy with it and I'd buy it again.

alunj
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Andulucia
Favorite Beaches: Viana , Fresh West, Le Morne
Style: Wave
Gear: Duotone, JP custom

Postby alunj » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:33 pm

I’ve a few hundred sessions on the Apple Watch
Tracking and heart rate work fine . No issues with water ingress . Sessions is a fun app but I tend to use other apps for tracking . In sept I changed for the 4 with cellular for safety’s sake. So far so awesome . Made a few test calls to the wife to see what the quality is like all good . Just nice to know I have some way of getting in touch with emergency services .

grtlakes
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: ontario Nickel and Sunset
Favorite Beaches: hatteras area,
nickel beach, sunset beach
Style: Erratic
Gear: Armstrong 1050 2400, mako king,NHP split, OR flites and prodigy

Postby grtlakes » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:16 pm

Hey alunj.
Curious if you use any additional protection for the AW when kiting ie waterproof case.
How do you find the battery life?
Thanks, I’m trying to pick between the AW and the fenix plus.

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:35 am

I've had my Fenix (3) for about 1-1/2 years. I use it for kitesurfing, kayaking, cycling, hiking and general activity tracking. I developed my own apps for kitesurfing and kayaking and modified the app for cycling (not that hard to do). The battery life is good for my activity level, about 7 or more days. If you use more accurate GPS tracking, GLONASS, the battery life will be shorter. For kitesurfing you don't really need that level of accuracy unless you are riding in a fog and are using Track Back to get back to your launch site or destination safely. The altimeter is ok but you need to calibrate it before your activity and it is affected by barometric pressure level changes. Altitude goes up when pressure drops. Also I wear it to track my sleep patterns and activity level. IMHO it is a great watch.

ldmelo
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Fortaleza
Gear: F-One Bandit V 9m
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby ldmelo » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:34 pm

Any Garmin owner tried the kitesurf apps on Connect IQ store?? They even say they can measure jump heights.... I am interested in your feedback.

JMG-APP Wind-Kite Surfing
https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/36d0 ... 789b8e39cf

KITE TRACKER
https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/350f ... 951b77f468

Kitesurf
https://apps.garmin.com/en-CA/apps/be51 ... 1ccd9442#0

Return to “Kitesurfing”