Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 80
Gear: Aluula Roam 10m, North neo 10m, 7m, 5m
Hydrofoil Ketos,
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Vibram five finger booties for kiteboarding

Postby Pierrot » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:27 pm

I have been using vibram 5 fingers for one season. The very light water specific model model.
Granted, only in fresh water, no sand... perfect feeling strapless. Still OK in straps. And I have not cut my foot this season!

skerrj
Rare Poster
Local Beach: lake isabella
Favorite Beaches: ca coast, maui
Style: cruise
Gear: directionals, neos
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Vibram five finger booties for kiteboarding

Postby skerrj » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:41 pm

IBaKiteboarder wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:27 pm
I agree with OzBungy about the sand issue. If you're in an area with lots of soft sand or silt, it will work it's way into the toes and is incredibly annoying and often painful. I stopped wearing them to kite, and then ended up tossing them out after they started to wear out. I give them a thumbs down for kiting.

I since found these and give these a thumbs up... "SEA TO SUMMIT ULTRA FLEX WATER BOOTIES" can be found online at americankiteboarding.com and probably elsewhere. That's where I bought them.

OzBungy wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:59 pm
5 Fingers are absolute crap for kitesurfing. The soles are too stiff so they don't fit nicely into straps or pads.

They don't come up far enough on your ankle so sand and shell grit get in. It is extremely painful when it works down between your toes.

I am perfectly happy with any of the standard surf booties available. They work fine. I like a low cut boot with a fairly high ankle so I can tuck my wetsuit in and cinch the craw cord snug. That keeps sand and stuff out and stops water running up the leg of the wetsuit.

I avoid boots with drain holes. The holes let in sand. I also avoid split toes because the fabric tears. You can get hidden split, or hard joined splits that last fairly well.
How's the sizing on the sea to summit ultra flex?.... Shoe size?.... Minus 1?....
Thanks,
Scott
These users thanked the author skerrj for the post:
Digdawg (Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:49 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”