Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Click bar, small problem, check yours.

Forum for kitesurfers
cor
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Click bar, small problem, check yours.

Postby cor » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:20 pm

Faxie wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:40 am
I just think it funny people are paying top dollar for a mediocre performing 'best bar of all time' and more and more people are reporting numerous problems with it.
It' anything else but mediocre. This bar comes with a lot of advantages over other bars and yes, those advantages also come with some disadvantages like a bit more maintenance, just like any other product.

I never had any problems. I do a detail inspections and cleaning once half a year. Takes roughly 10 minutes if you are able to watch a youtube video and know how to use an Allen key. It's not rocket science we are talking about here. There are two screws you need to open at the end, clean it and then put it back together. A monkey could do it! I invest way more "maintenance" time in my kites by cleaning them once in while and checking for pin holes so I don't understand how people argue against the click bar with "high maintenance" but hey, probably not everyone has 10 minutes to spare once in 6 months.

Well, but haters gonna hate.
Last edited by cor on Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leon van Bergen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Gear: Duotone Rebel 7,9,11 SLS ‘23 | 14m Juice Dlab | Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Leon van Bergen » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:36 pm

cor wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:20 pm
Faxie wrote:
I just think it funny people are paying top dollar for a mediocre performing 'best bar of all time' and more and more people are reporting numerous problems with it.
It' anything else but mediocre. This bar comes with a lot of advantages over other bars and yes, those advantages also come with some disadvantages like a bit more maintenance, just like any other product.

I never had any problems. I do a detail inspections and cleaning once half a year. Takes roughly 10 minutes if you are able to watch a youtube video and know how to use an Allen key. It's not rocket science we are talking about here. There are two screws you need to open the end, clean it and then put it back together. A monkey could do it! I invest way more "maintenance" time in my kites by cleaning them once in while and checking for pin holes so I don't understand how people argue against the click bar with "high maintenance" but hey, probably not everyone has 10 minutes to spare once in 6 months.

+1

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:57 pm

I've got two click bars and I don't spend any more time maintaining them then other bars.

Having no dangling parts is a real joy. The click adjustment works well. I don't think I could go back to a normal bar.

I was concerned about wear of the lines through the bar but it has been a non issue.

The iron heart quick release with ceramic bearings is one of the best.

The kite lines above the leader lines are not up to the same standard as the rest of the bar. At the price of this bar, I expect better.
Last edited by purdyd on Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:03 pm

Leon van Bergen wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:27 pm
Faxie wrote:
wrogu wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:29 am
@ Faxie - Why so angry ? ;) Internal parts of clickbar are just like lines prone to wear and have to be checked. I hope you check your lines often enough and replace them when it is needed.
As long as north/duotone provides affordable spares it is fine. I was very skeptic towards click bar. I find it very nice tho after testing. However it also needs some maintenance!
Angry? Who?

It is anything but medium.
Yes a few people come with problems but that bar is also sold mega well and I know countless users without problems including myself...
I'm sorry, but a bar that needs regular maintenance so it won't fail you, where allmost all the parts that can fail are hidden, and with one of the absolute worse lines on the market today, I can never ever consider more than mediocre. But if you're happy with it, more power to you :thumb: Just keep maintaining that thing so it won't fail you on a big jump.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:06 pm

cor wrote:
Faxie wrote:

I never had any problems. I do a detail inspections and cleaning once half a year. Takes roughly 10 minutes if you are able to watch a youtube video and know how to use an Allen key. It's not rocket science we are talking about here. There are two screws you need to open at the end, clean it and then put it back together. A monkey could do it! I invest way more "maintenance" time in my kites by cleaning them once in while and checking for pin holes so I don't understand how people argue against the click bar with "high maintenance" but hey, probably not everyone has 10 minutes to spare once in 6 months.

If an advantage comes with a disadvantage, how can it be better?

Well, love is blind, and lovers gonna love.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:16 pm

wrogu wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:14 pm
I do not own one but I really like the clean design of click bar. Without a click mechanism a perfect bar would be an iron heart relese with core plastic covered depower lines with unspinning mechanism and ozone/slingshot lines ;) But at the moment the cleanest design is click.
I believe I now have the best kite bar on the Planet, the click bar with all the best ever features, with the smoothest easiest depower system, no tangle bar spin ever, the best quick release ever, and now with superb Power Q line flying lines, and as far as I can see the PU power line will never need replacing.
don't ask the cost :o :o

magnusod
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West coast Sweden
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne, Phan Rang, Kingfisher
Style: Waves
Gear: North Charge, Duotone Fish SLS, Gong Allvator Curve, Naish Slash, Naish Boxer

Postby magnusod » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:32 am

cor wrote:
Faxie wrote:

Here's a link from another thread that indicates that there definitely is a problem https://www.wetestkites.com/2018/12/22/duotone-lines/ Not what you would expect to get when you pay a premium price for a bar.

cor
Very Frequent Poster

Postby cor » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:06 pm

Faxie wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:06 pm

If an advantage comes with a disadvantage, how can it be better?
A car with 4 wheel drive comes with the advantage of better traction but with the disadvantage of increased maintenance costs. Is that car now better than a car with 2WD? The question is not "is it better?" but "is it better for YOU?".

Any product that comes with advantages comes also with disadvantages and I am surprised that I actually need to explain that blatancy.

cor
Very Frequent Poster

Postby cor » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:08 pm

magnusod wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:32 am
Here's a link from another thread that indicates that there definitely is a problem https://www.wetestkites.com/2018/12/22/duotone-lines/ Not what you would expect to get when you pay a premium price for a bar.
I do agree that the Duotone lines are shit. That is however not a clickbar problem but a problem with all Duotone bars.

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:52 pm

Yeah I'm now on my second season with an original '17 Click Bar and I'll confidently say I won't change out for another (current) brand's bar offering. I don't think it requires anymore maintenance than a standard bar. You ARE supposed to flush any bar after saltwater use if you want it last more than a few seasons. So no difference there really other than popping the caps for a quick rinse. When I pulled my bar apart this fall to inspect the internal line and gears it was completely clean.

I haven't heard of the stainless gear going bad, so seems to be an isolated issue. Easy enough to replace.

Now onto the lines: This has been drubbed to death and I agree completely with the assessment that the North/Duo lines are pure garbage. These lines are by far the worst lines I've ever owned. (Cabrinha, Naish, Flysurfer, Switch, Liquid Force, Slingshot, etc.) The stretching has been my biggest complaint, but the fraying and just general lack of quality is really a shame for the premium price. So I bit the bullet and shipped my bar to Kiteboarding.com and had them load it with Q Power lines. There were some really good deals on '18 North Click Bars this fall online, but my bar was still good, just the lines were junk. So I went with a new line kit versus a new bar. (that still would have come with the same crap lines.) I think that's actually a pic of my bar Rogue_kiteboarder posted in the other Click Bar line thread. It turned out great! We'll see how it flies in the next two weeks on vacation.

So sure some are going to bash it for being spendy, but I won't trade the Iron Heart release, great ergos, easy of use, long length of throw and the only auto swivel on the market that works all the time. Now that I've fixed the line issue, I'm in agreement with Foil that it's a contender for one of the best bars.

* No brand affiliation either. Bought and paid for.
Attachments
clickbar.jpg

Return to “Kitesurfing”