Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Click bar, small problem, check yours.

Forum for kitesurfers
Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.
Brand Affiliation: None

Click bar, small problem, check yours.

Postby Foil » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:46 pm

One of my click bars started to slightly jam when clicking off power, so I decided to to take it apart today, what I found explained the grawncy jaming.
Deep inside the bar end winder I found what you can see in the photos below, the one on the left is broken, one of the little lugs has broken off, the other one is out of one of my other click bars.
My quest now it to find a replacment, I will fire off a photo and mail to my dealer who should know where to get one of those little things, don't even know what it's called, (apart from broken)
So if your little winder starts to grind and graunch then it may be this.
While I was in the mood I took apart all 3 of my click bars, to check for wear or damage, and I really went for it, every little bit of line was removed using the special draw line in the bar spares kit to remove the leader lines, the hardest part was to fully disassemble the complete winding mechanism and remove the internally fixed lines, blimey, it needs a bit of practice and it can get confusing, so taking detailed photos as you disassemble each little bit is recommended.
But I can now call myself an expert after working on all three bars, it is an engineering masterpiece, very impressed apart from my broken bit, which I can only guess is a one off.(hopefully)

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Re: Click bar, small problem, check yours.

Postby iriejohn » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:24 pm

Foil wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:46 pm
One of my click bars started to slightly jam when clicking off power, so I decided to to take it apart today, what I found explained the grawncy jaming.
Deep inside the bar end winder I found what you can see in the photos below, the one on the left is broken, one of the little lugs has broken off, the other one is out of one of my other click bars.
Parts of a bar's internal mechanism breaking off and jamming is a "small problem"? What if it had completely jammed the trim?

Good grief, I've heard it all now! :duh:

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:36 pm

Just keeps getting better and better with that clickbar.

rogue_kiteboarder
Frequent Poster
Gear: Crazy Fly Bulldozer/Crazyfly Raptor LTD, Naish Pivot, Duotone Rebel, Crazyfly Hyper, Mystic Majestic X
Brand Affiliation: Kiteboarding.com
Has thanked: 0

Postby rogue_kiteboarder » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:57 pm

Did you flush it using the little covers after use, and did you take it apart and clean it regularly?

wrogu
Frequent Poster

Postby wrogu » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:29 am

@ Faxie - Why so angry ? ;) Internal parts of clickbar are just like lines prone to wear and have to be checked. I hope you check your lines often enough and replace them when it is needed.
As long as north/duotone provides affordable spares it is fine. I was very skeptic towards click bar. I find it very nice tho after testing. However it also needs some maintenance!

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:54 am

rogue_kiteboarder wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:57 pm
Did you flush it using the little covers after use, and did you take it apart and clean it regularly?
flushing out both ends has been a job I do every few weeks or after 6-8 days on the water, I have taken the ends off for a detail inspection twice before, and to my surprise the internal lines are just like new, so this little lug breaking off was a bit of a surprise,
I don't know what caused it, but the I only knew there was a problem when clicking the button for depower, it would sort of feel partly stuck, and at times need a pull down on the bar to fully engage a solid click of de-power, this went on for around 4 sessions before I decided to investigate.

less than 18 hours after sending the pictures to my dealer, the spare part was sent to me, so a big up for Mark at Boardworx in the UK,

once you have taken all the bar down to its base of all the bits laid out neatly on a work bench you can see just how well made this click bar is and the high quality of engineering design,
all the internal lines and leader lines, including the depower line through the brilliant design of the main PU "tube" through the bar item are such strong items.

points to watch though are -

Right at the bottom of the PU tube is a robust knuckle style joint that needs to be opened up every so often to flush out the fine sand that can collect there,
its easy to do as its held together by a long grub screw, undone by the same thumb style key you get with the bar, and whilst this is being done pull the red safety line down through the quick release to expose a few meters of the red line then pour fresh water down through the top of the now opened up knuckle joint to flush out the fine sand that might be lurking in there, this is so important to do especially if like me you never release the kite out on its safety line on the water, which would do the cleaning flush thing anyways, (but not the knuckle joint internal)
many of us release the kite on to the safety on the beach, which is not good to do as the safety line when wet will attract sticky sand and when you pull the line back into its quick release housing you unwittingly trap gritty sand in there as well

I totally agree that the click bars main flying lines above the thicker non fluffy lines, are not the best, and are prone to break after heavy use and wear at one certain point, just below the final spliced end near the top pigtail attachments, basically where the line naturally bends the most easily when wagging in the wind, it good to check these areas often to spot the quite obvious signs that should prompt you to take action before they break, I have had mine break twice in 6 years, before the click bars but still the same line, and Wayne my sailing buddy has had 2 breaks as well, both north bars and one was last years click bar, but its the same fluffy type of north flying line, and all these breaks were in exactly the same place.

I have now removed that risk by replacing all my fluffy style north lines with Power Q line, probably the ultimate kite line available, but yes its expensive, but great to use as it never needs splicing, just cut to length and tie in a loop at each end with a simple knot, I have never heard of anyone breaking this line.
Back in 2001-2004 when most if not all lines used to break "easily" I switched to Power Q line which ended this breaking problem for me and many others.

To explain my understanding of breaking easily, - back before I was using any sort of quick release :o :nono: I was out on Ainsdale beach in a good blow, and using a kite that was less than stable, and of course I was using an early 4 line C kite, I remember the kite stalling and falling back to the ground directly downwind into the power zone, I was on the beach and realised the danger I was in at that moment when the kite would power back up, I dropped to the sand and dug in my heels to brace hard against the massive yank downwind that was about to hit me, which at the point of the inevitable sudden pull I was saved by the weak lines, 3 of the 4 lines instantly snapped letting the kite flag out onto the 1 remaining line.phew!! :remybussi:

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:40 am

wrogu wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:29 am
@ Faxie - Why so angry ? ;) Internal parts of clickbar are just like lines prone to wear and have to be checked. I hope you check your lines often enough and replace them when it is needed.
As long as north/duotone provides affordable spares it is fine. I was very skeptic towards click bar. I find it very nice tho after testing. However it also needs some maintenance!
Angry? Who?

I just think it funny people are paying top dollar for a mediocre performing 'best bar of all time' and more and more people are reporting numerous problems with it.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:12 pm

If my wife* needed this much maintenance I'd trade her in for a new one! :o
Foil wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:54 am
flushing out both ends has been a job I do every few weeks or after 6-8 days on the water, I have taken the ends off for a detail inspection twice before, and to my surprise the internal lines are just like new, so this little lug breaking off was a bit of a surprise,
I don't know what caused it, but the I only knew there was a problem when clicking the button for depower, it would sort of feel partly stuck, and at times need a pull down on the bar to fully engage a solid click of de-power, this went on for around 4 sessions before I decided to investigate.

less than 18 hours after sending the pictures to my dealer, the spare part was sent to me, so a big up for Mark at Boardworx in the UK,

once you have taken all the bar down to its base of all the bits laid out neatly on a work bench you can see just how well made this click bar is and the high quality of engineering design,
all the internal lines and leader lines, including the depower line through the brilliant design of the main PU "tube" through the bar item are such strong items.

points to watch though are -

Right at the bottom of the PU tube is a robust knuckle style joint that needs to be opened up every so often to flush out the fine sand that can collect there,
its easy to do as its held together by a long grub screw, undone by the same thumb style key you get with the bar, and whilst this is being done pull the red safety line down through the quick release to expose a few meters of the red line then pour fresh water down through the top of the now opened up knuckle joint to flush out the fine sand that might be lurking in there, this is so important to do especially if like me you never release the kite out on its safety line on the water, which would do the cleaning flush thing anyways, (but not the knuckle joint internal)
many of us release the kite on to the safety on the beach, which is not good to do as the safety line when wet will attract sticky sand and when you pull the line back into its quick release housing you unwittingly trap gritty sand in there as well

I totally agree that the click bars main flying lines above the thicker non fluffy lines, are not the best, and are prone to break after heavy use and wear at one certain point, just below the final spliced end near the top pigtail attachments, basically where the line naturally bends the most easily when wagging in the wind, it good to check these areas often to spot the quite obvious signs that should prompt you to take action before they break, I have had mine break twice in 6 years, before the click bars but still the same line, and Wayne my sailing buddy has had 2 breaks as well, both north bars and one was last years click bar, but its the same fluffy type of north flying line, and all these breaks were in exactly the same place.

I have now removed that risk by replacing all my fluffy style north lines with Power Q line, probably the ultimate kite line available, but yes its expensive, but great to use as it never needs splicing, just cut to length and tie in a loop at each end with a simple knot, I have never heard of anyone breaking this line.
Back in 2001-2004 when most if not all lines used to break "easily" I switched to Power Q line which ended this breaking problem for me and many others.

To explain my understanding of breaking easily, - back before I was using any sort of quick release :o :nono: I was out on Ainsdale beach in a good blow, and using a kite that was less than stable, and of course I was using an early 4 line C kite, I remember the kite stalling and falling back to the ground directly downwind into the power zone, I was on the beach and realised the danger I was in at that moment when the kite would power back up, I dropped to the sand and dug in my heels to brace hard against the massive yank downwind that was about to hit me, which at the point of the inevitable sudden pull I was saved by the weak lines, 3 of the 4 lines instantly snapped letting the kite flag out onto the 1 remaining line.phew!! :remybussi:
Only kidding Angie. Image

Leon van Bergen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Gear: Duotone Rebel 7,9,11 SLS ‘23 | 14m Juice Dlab | Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Leon van Bergen » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:27 pm

Faxie wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:40 am
wrogu wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:29 am
Angry? Who?

I just think it funny people are paying top dollar for a mediocre performing 'best bar of all time' and more and more people are reporting numerous problems with it.
It is anything but medium.
Yes a few people come with problems but that bar is also sold mega well and I know countless users without problems including myself...

wrogu
Frequent Poster

Postby wrogu » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:14 pm

I do not own one but I really like the clean design of click bar. Without a click mechanism a perfect bar would be an iron heart relese with core plastic covered depower lines with unspinning mechanism and ozone/slingshot lines ;) But at the moment the cleanest design is click.

Return to “Kitesurfing”