Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Fukushima - isn't it time we started worrying?

Forum for kitesurfers
CaptainCore
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seabrook Kent
Favorite Beaches: Nyali - Kenya
Style: Old School
Gear: Core Nexus. Fusion 4, Moses
Brand Affiliation: Gods own Core.

Fukushima - isn't it time we started worrying?

Postby CaptainCore » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:35 pm

It's coming up to 8 years since, 8 years of radioactive crap being flushed into the Pacific, and now there are tales of mass fish die offs even traces of it in Californian wine if the french are to be believed (as if), some of you guys on here ride in the pacific, how do you all feel?

This map thing is a bit alarmist and is actually a plot of the wave height radiated from Fukushima which served as a bit of fake news earlier on to show the radiation potential.

But it's still going on, they haven't removed the fuel rods yet, and admit some are lost and it's in the water table which depending on which source you believe is as much as 300 tons of water an hour pouring into the Pacific, you would think a more robust effort to surround the place in concrete at least were in operation.

Shouldn't us as water users be making more noise?
Attachments
pacificfukushima.jpg

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Fukushima - isn't it time we started worrying?

Postby Toby » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:06 pm

It's all nuked, and will continue. They can't stop it.

Make noise? What will it change? Humans are too stupid. Any animal is smarter, since they don't destroy what they need to live from...
And building atomic reactors in areas with natural desaster probability is also very smart.

Just forget the Pacific for kiting.

Donniehall14
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Kite Point/Princeton Point, Robinson's Island
Style: Freeride
Gear: 8M Takoon Chrono
10M Ocean Rodeo Razor
12 Switch Nitro
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Donniehall14 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:41 pm

CaptainCore wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:35 pm
It's coming up to 8 years since, 8 years of radioactive crap being flushed into the Pacific, and now there are tales of mass fish die offs even traces of it in Californian wine if the french are to be believed (as if), some of you guys on here ride in the pacific, how do you all feel?

This map thing is a bit alarmist and is actually a plot of the wave height radiated from Fukushima which served as a bit of fake news earlier on to show the radiation potential.

But it's still going on, they haven't removed the fuel rods yet, and admit some are lost and it's in the water table which depending on which source you believe is as much as 300 tons of water an hour pouring into the Pacific, you would think a more robust effort to surround the place in concrete at least were in operation.

No. You'll get more exposure to radiation eating a banana. The Pacific ocean is huge. Radiation is all around us and causes no problem. In fact recent studies on A-bomb survivors have showed increased lifespans. The tsunami killed many and pulled large amounts of garbage into the sea. The meltdown killed nobody. More people died being unnecessarily moved due to fear of radiation. If you really want to be worried about something be worried about ocean acidification from increasing levels of CO2.

Despite what people think nuclear is one of the safest sources of electricity generation. It's on par with wind and solar. If you want to bring the billions of people in the world out of poverty and not screw the planet more than it already is you're going to need nuclear.

Here is some reading below.

https://oceana.org/blog/worried-about-f ... ctive-fish

https://genesenvironment.biomedcentral. ... olGaC_xYgA

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesconca ... ssion=true

CaptainCore
Frequent Poster

Postby CaptainCore » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:55 pm

Jesus H Kerist the fake news you yanks swallow, no wonder nobody is complaining.. Here in Europe we're still suffering the increased Cancer rates from Chernobyl, I hate to ruin your day but Fukushima has kicked out 100 times what Chernobyl did and they still haven't even got a lid on it so they can start to remove the fuel rods..

Eating a banana FFS -really.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:57 pm

Toby wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:06 pm
Just forget the Pacific for kiting.
Ya, and keep your kids out of the Oregon Coast 10°C (50°F) surf. I like riding in shallow so I can skim across the glowing sea foam. Those kids are harder to get around than the tsunami debris. Still, it is pretty cool to see their reaction when they gain super powers from swimming around there. (For ELS forum participants, the previous was all sarcasm.)

But wait!!!! It gets better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:02 pm

I trust none of you guys panicked about radiation ever fly anywhere. Let alone go out in the sun, god forbid. Or have an X-ray. Donnie has this right, apart from possibly some agriculture near the site and some fish near the site, the effects are minimal, and that stupid image is pathetic. This from a molecular biologist who generated mutant flies using radiation for some of his work, and who kites on a lake that is the cooling system for a nuclear power plant. No worries for me, far more worried about global warming etc.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:06 pm

CaptainCore wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:35 pm

So GrameF/CaptianCore/what ever the heck other user names you go under..... I DARE you to reply after you watch what your particular "superior to Japan or the US" country has been doing for.....how long????? Japan is just catching up to the rest of the world, though the circumstances are an accident instead of willful and intentional. And Japan has floated the idea to just dump all of the radioactive waste right in the ocean. I guess they got that idea from Brittan.

British dumping of nuclear waste in the North Sea:

I try to restrain myself from personal attacks. But GraemF, you are an idiot who has succeed in making a complete fool of yourself once again. Your best defense is to claim senility as most of the coverage of the Greenpeace efforts is from decades ago when you were in your prime. And back then, Brittan had a greater degree of freedom of speech than it has now. So what's in your water, buddy?

CaptainCore
Frequent Poster

Postby CaptainCore » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:25 pm

What? You don't I wouldn't have been on one of those boats trying to prevent that? I live and ride in the shadow of Dungeness A and B and if in your peurile halfwitted mind you thought this was an attack on the US, you're sadly mistaken, I have many friends who ride in Oregon, Pistol River etc You think I take joy from all this? You really are a sad helpless troll.

The Irish sea is one of the most radioactive, but they stopped doing that, public pressure stopped it. There have even been attempts to clean it up albeit too little to late, what I don't see is anything like enough urgency or pressure being applied to Japan to get a move on in shutting it all down.

Oh and try a bit harder with the spelling eh? It's Captain and should be followed by Sir.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:54 am

You don't understand risk. Sir.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:42 am

I’m sorry but ‘start’ worrying?

Return to “Kitesurfing”