Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Fukushima - isn't it time we started worrying?

Forum for kitesurfers
Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Fukushima - isn't it time we started worrying?

Postby Matteo V » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:48 pm

Cappy,

I would like to roll back my personal attack as you seem to have rolled back your........well, I can't say what I am thinking without negating this statement.

For future clarity, could you just tell us which of these were drunk posts by you, and which were written at the behest of COREporate kiteboarding and/or just heartfelt (semi) retractions in an attempt to gain a clear conscience.

A.
CaptainCore wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:07 pm
Well, like all things it started in the pub with an old boy knowing I travel and sail all over, wondering if I was concerned, which like most folk I wasn't. I haven't been to Japan in ages, nor the West Coast of the US since 2014 and I had no Pacific plans in the immediate future even though SWMBO wants to revisit Hawaii. So I started a bit of googling it being Xmas, no wind and I was bored. The first thing that sprang up ironically was the Irish Sea where I'd just been two weeks earlier on a kite demo, so that went down well, but back to the picture. I thought it gave an overly dramatic view, but is quite eye catching and serves its purpose which was to attempt to tease out some facts. Lots of folk on this forum are quite clever and some a hell of a lot better informed than me and lets face it we all have a vested interest in keeping our playground as clean and as pleasant as possible.

Most of my research just revealed conspiracy theory type stuff, the Israelis destroying the place because it supplied enriched uranium to Iran I thought was the classic..

But seriously I've been around a while, and cancer levels seem to be at an all time high, the number of friends and acquaintances that have departed this mortal coil recently ex windsurfers mostly is upsetting, and in other walks of life also. So things like this do tend to enrage and if there seems to be even a hint of a cover up then it makes it worse and the world seems to have stopped talking about Fukushima yet it's still going on.

I know the half life of seizium 134 is only what two years and the levels of 137 are not yet that great, but Trinium? We don't seem to know much about its long term affects and I think as kitesurfers we should be talking about it without becoming too irrational, so yes I used that pic, but I did point out it wasn't what it seems at first and I'm hoping someone else might bring us something more accurate, more to support the argument that we should be concerned, rather than the opposite. However if the opposite is true, then it's a win win thread, either way worth a discussion.

That's what forums do.

B.
CaptainCore wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:25 pm
What? You don't I wouldn't have been on one of those boats trying to prevent that? I live and ride in the shadow of Dungeness A and B and if in your peurile halfwitted mind you thought this was an attack on the US, you're sadly mistaken, I have many friends who ride in Oregon, Pistol River etc You think I take joy from all this? You really are a sad helpless troll.

The Irish sea is one of the most radioactive, but they stopped doing that, public pressure stopped it. There have even been attempts to clean it up albeit too little to late, what I don't see is anything like enough urgency or pressure being applied to Japan to get a move on in shutting it all down.

Oh and try a bit harder with the spelling eh? It's Captain and should be followed by Sir.

C.
CaptainCore wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:55 pm
Jesus H Kerist the fake news you yanks swallow, no wonder nobody is complaining.. Here in Europe we're still suffering the increased Cancer rates from Chernobyl, I hate to ruin your day but Fukushima has kicked out 100 times what Chernobyl did and they still haven't even got a lid on it so they can start to remove the fuel rods..

Eating a banana FFS -really.

A. seems very much heartfelt and sober, though your spelling may indicate some shakiness that could be remedied by 1 drink - no more - to steady your hands. You also seem to be highlighting that you knew it was a conspiracy (or just BS) theory from the beginning. So for that I am at somewhat of a loss for words. Could you just clarify that you were in fact citing conspiracy/fake news to possibly ask the question as to whether US west coast kiters were actually feeling the effects of the radiation?
CaptainCore wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:35 pm
.......some of you guys on here ride in the pacific, how do you all feel?

B. & C. were, in my opinion, drunk posts to which COREporate kiteboarding has instructed you to make an attempt at making amends for.

CaptainCore
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seabrook Kent
Favorite Beaches: Nyali - Kenya
Style: Old School
Gear: Core Nexus. Fusion 4, Moses
Brand Affiliation: Gods own Core.

Postby CaptainCore » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:18 pm

Mae? I've decided to call you Mae, after Mae West and that thing you kitesurf in, we used to call them Mae Wests, so anyway Mae it's dry january over here, so no drinks, sorry, just casual laziness on the spelling front which I'm allowed to do because of my seniority but you're not because you're young and dumb and in need of correction.

Now as to being trolled and reeled in on your COREporate delusions, right now it's not totally clear anymore since the company has just changed it's name and shareholders and the original owner has departed, not that he or anyone else would be so ignorant as to decide who or what says what about what on an internet forum, they don't regard this place as having any great relevance and that's easy to see why after some of those recent rant and ravings from some of your countrymen. So wrong again I fear, but hey it's fun watching you at work, broken any nails on the keyboard lately?

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:47 pm

CaptainCore wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:18 pm
Mae? I've decided to call you Mae, after Mae West and that thing you kitesurf in...
Thanks for the loving nickname. But I only wear flotation in freshwater, not when kitesurfing in ocean surf. So it is only half accurate. But thanks again anyway, Cappy.

Now that aside, any thoughts on poking fun at the use of lifesaving gear while kiteboarding??? Do you think that might be just a teensy bit irresponsible in that it may push someone thinking about using some safety gear to decide to not use some safety gear? Personally, I'd rather not be responsible for that, and I just let everyone make their own choice. I dare not steer someone clear of using additional safety measures unless I am sure those additional safety measures are actually detrimental in some way.

And in all honesty, don't you think those willing to use safety gear that may make them look "uncool", are actually more brave than those who forgo the safety gear because they are trying to look cool? - That is a big question, and I don't really expect you to be able to respond to that one. But give it your best shot, if you are brave enough.

CaptainCore wrote:
....... it's dry january over here, so no drinks, sorry, just casual laziness on the spelling front which I'm allowed to do because of my seniority but you're not because you're young and dumb and in need of correction.
You have a logical inconsistency (double standard, at the very least) that you are attempting to justify because you actually believe 'once you gain seniority (maybe you actually mean senility), you no longer have to play by the rules that others do'? How well does that work out in society? - The below quote from you is just for reference from this same thread:
CaptainCore wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:25 pm
.....Oh and try a bit harder with the spelling eh? It's Captain and should be followed by Sir.

CaptainCore wrote:
not that he (original owner) or anyone else would be so ignorant as to decide who or what says what about what on an internet forum, they don't regard this place as having any great relevance......
This has been blatantly obvious over the last year.

CaptainCore wrote:
Now as to being trolled and reeled in on your COREporate delusions, right now it's not totally clear anymore since the company has just changed it's name and shareholders and the original owner has departed, not that he or anyone else would be so ignorant as to decide who or what says what about what on an internet forum, they don't regard this place as having any great relevance......
First I have heard of it. But if it is true that COREporate kiteboarding is changing their name, could the original owner be just now bailing out after bad press directly linked to the UK distributor on this 'irrelevant' forum?

Honestly almost all kite companies have an unspoken "Send money, or f--k you" attitude. But CORE seems to be the only one with a brand representative unable to restrain himself from making that loud and clear on this forum.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby grigorib » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:16 pm

Here's original (less edited) picture I saw referred to on another similarly panicky thread before.
It says "wave amplitude". It's about tsunami wave from earthquake, not about "scary" radiation somehow not being able to cross anything solid in a way.

520 atmospheric nuke tests in 20th century is something to think about, all the fallout which we almost quit puffing into air back in 60's and reduced even more in/after 80's was a nice change. Our governments were on a race to erase humanity off face of Earth, methodically nuking primarily their own countries (just testing) and getting excited about ICBMs flying back and forth.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_weapons_testing

Check you sources boys and girls. Stay informed
Attachments
Japan-Tsunami-Wave-Amplitude.jpg

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:14 am

This thread needs Marlboroughman's input !!

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby downunder » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:06 am

Yeah,

But hey, Matty is just visiting this Euro (German) forum in the absence of decent US one. And trying to dominate in every-single-conversation like Yanks usually do when overseas. He doesn’t spellcheck Toby, does he? ;)

Which says everything...

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:16 am

Only on this forum can someone post about concerns of leaking radiation and have it turned into a bitch fest trying to link forum posts with company restructuring or whatever has happened while blaming the OP.

It’s pathetic.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:14 am

Only on this?

Do you use other social media?

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:35 pm

Lol and they say Germans have no sense of humour 😂👍

CaptainCore
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seabrook Kent
Favorite Beaches: Nyali - Kenya
Style: Old School
Gear: Core Nexus. Fusion 4, Moses
Brand Affiliation: Gods own Core.

Postby CaptainCore » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:02 pm

'Send money or I love you?' what planet is Mae on? Chance of being paid would be good.

So, no hard facts here then, nothing to worry about, it was all fake news and we're not going to fry, that's good I'll tell the old boy he can stop worrying.

As to buoyancy, should be another thread, personally I had strong feelings about not being forced to wear it, so Mae undermines all that but she's a Seppo, so doesn't worry me. Impact vest should be enough even on fresh water if there's a wetsuit involved.

Or should we consider radiation suits?

Return to “Kitesurfing”