Style: Freeride
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Split boards - worth the money?

Postby rynhardt » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:36 am

stenner wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:25 pm

Any reason to not do a scarf that I might be overlooking?
Some commercial boards (kitelement) use a scarf joint, so it's a valid way to go, especially with wood core boards.
I would imagine that doing a scarf joint is a bit more effort, depending on what equipment you have available.

Both the wavy cuts and the scarf joint makes the board halves slightly longer than they absolutely need to be - something to consider if you're using a big board.
For example, my 146 board has halves that are 73cm long. The inside of my luggage is 75cm, leaving 1cm clearance either side. If I had used a scarf or wavy cut then it would have been too long to fit.
These users thanked the author rynhardt for the post:
stenner (Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:46 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

stenner
Medium Poster
Gear: none

Postby stenner » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:46 pm

Great points rynhardt. Thanks!

NEkitesurfing
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby NEkitesurfing » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:00 am

The NOBILE NHP Split 2019 is totally worth the money! I had a flight to Vietnam with it with Vietnam Airlines without the permission to travel with any additional bag or different sized bag than a normal checked baggage. The NOBILE NHP Split fit perfectly into my trolley and the problem was resolved. It is extremely easy and fast to mount and for the fins and straps are no additional tools necessary. It offers the same performance like the standard NHP without the split construction. It doesnt feel even heavier. It was really fun to travel with only one checked baggage without worrying about an additional sportings good bag. :thumb:

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Postby badgb21 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:46 pm

I'm always fascinated to know how folks travel with kite gear and only have one check in bag?
How to you take clothes, toiletries, travel stuff etc.
My board and a couple of kites get me to 50lbs really quick!

Maybe I should take far less and wash my clothes when I'm there :-?

NEkitesurfing wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:00 am
The NOBILE NHP Split 2019 is totally worth the money! I had a flight to Vietnam with it with Vietnam Airlines without the permission to travel with any additional bag or different sized bag than a normal checked baggage. The NOBILE NHP Split fit perfectly into my trolley and the problem was resolved. It is extremely easy and fast to mount and for the fins and straps are no additional tools necessary. It offers the same performance like the standard NHP without the split construction. It doesnt feel even heavier. It was really fun to travel with only one checked baggage without worrying about an additional sportings good bag. :thumb:

Greenturtle
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Favorite Beaches: Bahamian Cays
Gear: Edge 19, Flite 17, 14.5, 12, 10, 8, Cloud 13.4, 10.4, 8, 6.2, 3.7
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow

Postby Greenturtle » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:27 pm

1 checked bag + 1 carry on + 1 backpack

The carry on and backpack are usually free. Ive never been told I could only take on one of those, they dont care or see the backpack.
Ive taken a few times regular school size backpack with a 12m rolled up tight in it and the bar strapped to the outside and have not been hassled at all. I know others have said they have been hassled carrying on a bar though.

NEkitesurfing
Frequent Poster

Postby NEkitesurfing » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:00 pm

I have a hard shell trolley maximum allowed size for economy class checked baggage, where I stow my split board + bar + pump, spreader bar, 7 sqm kite, sun cream, small amount of summer clothes.
Your checked baggage item must not exceed the following dimensions: 158 cm / 62.2 in (a + b + c), (including pockets, wheels and handles), max 23 kg

9 sqm kite together with the harness body and smart phone as cabin baggage.
Only one cabin baggage + an accessory like a laptop was allowed.
Your hand baggage must not exceed the following dimensions: 55 x 35 x 25 cm / 21.7 x 13.8 x 9.9 in (including pockets, wheels and handles).The combined weight of your hand baggage item and accessory must not exceed 12 kg / 26 lb

When travelling with foil boarding stuff I prefer the NOBILE Split Foil baggage.

Javawalker
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Beauduc
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc Boracay
Style: Wave jump
Gear: Naish North Ion Balance

Postby Javawalker » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:16 pm

Hello guys
I am interested by a split surfboard idea ( i own a north ) , if you guys have pictures thanks.
Javawalker

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:04 pm

The Kitelement split board is pretty much the price of a regular board and it's well made and not too heavy. I don't see the point of cutting a good board. All the home made split board I have seen so far were very heavy.

flipper231
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flipper231 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:45 pm

I bought the 138 NHP Carbon. If you want a no tool option, this is it. If not the Element seems like a sweet ride. The 138 is a large board but I never got over board... I rode it from 13 ish knots up to 35 ish in chop and all, you name it.

I bought this board for when I travel for work, I pack a regular 28 in suit case with the board a pump (LF tall and skinny, same volume as a regular pump), harness, impact vest, shorty or 4/3, 2 bars, I do not remove the straps but I remove the fins and 2 kites. All my clothing in in my cabin luggage.

You have to chose your kite prperly, 13 and 10 or 10 and 7. But if I travel for work I usually take only the 10 as these are the days I regret missing. Below 15 I don’t care too much for and above 30 is a different game.

This is great for short trip if Ibtravel for 2-3 weeks, I bring a regular board in my boardbag, it just gives me more room to play with.

The split is for Europe, where you take cabs, trains, etc. Cabs in Brussels are not crazy about board bags.

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:12 pm

flipper231 wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:45 pm
I bought the 138 NHP Carbon. If you want a no tool option, this is it. If not the Element seems like a sweet ride. The 138 is a large board but I never got over board... I rode it from 13 ish knots up to 35 ish in chop and all, you name it.
How much you weight if 138 is too small? I'm 92kg and would love to have nhp split 140/42
Valid point with travel not only by plain but also by taxi/rental car. With 4 people in car you will likely struggle to fit people and nonsplit board in car. This can add to cost of travel as well.

I would only consider making my own split if I had some old but good board kicking around, otherwise you will have to spent like $200-300 on second hand board and make it to split. By adding these wooden joints to conversion board you will significantly affect flex of the board.

Personally I rather sell my normal board and use only split locally and aboard

Return to “Kitesurfing”