Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Re: Q-powerline suppliers in EU

Postby evan » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:52 pm

Haha, knots in unsheeted dyneema. That decreases the strength by approximately 70%, and the fact that those North lines snap at 200DaN when sleeved (splice is worse) it makes you think how much those lines can handle when knotted...

On the other hand I have seen many old lines sets with accidental knots just under sleeve that didn't snap, so when freeriding the forces are apparently not that high.

Would love to get some samples of Q-power so we can get some numbers on the strength of those knotted loops. Sleeving them is not the way to go as I have seen more than 1 RRD set where the Q-power lines was pulled out of the sleeves as the stitches faild to hold the line in place.

I doubt the numbers on the knots are that great as the outer sheeting on the Q-power lines is still pretty thin. On sk99 1.1mm lines I need at least 2mm dyneema sleeves to come close to 100% breaking load. Anything thinner weakens it too much an forget the standard polyester sleeves, the line slices through it like butter.
These users thanked the author evan for the post:
nixmatters (Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:28 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:56 am

Foil wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:47 am
figure 8 knots are not required with Q line.
What knot is recommended? I seem to recall being told either from the manufacture or a distributor that a clean figure 8 was the only acceptable knot.

And pulling on a line is not a test. We need to have average breaking loads on knotted lines. All knots reduce the ultimate strength of all lines.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:06 am

evan wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:52 pm
Haha, knots in unsheeted dyneema. That decreases the strength by approximately 70%, and the fact that those North lines snap at 200DaN when sleeved (splice is worse) it makes you think how much those lines can handle when knotted...
Do you have testing equipment?

And for the record, I am fairly sure spliced connections are almost always stronger than knots. Do you mean (by - "splice is worse") that the North loose braid is just not acceptable for splicing?

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Foil » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:23 am

you need to feel see and use Q line to realise it is completely different --
Q-PowerLine Pro is the only fly line specifically engineered for kiteboarding and power kite applications, these are the ultimate kiteboarding lines and you'll quickly realise once you own a set why there's nothing better for kiteboarding. Q-PowerLine Pro's amazing feature is that you CAN TIE KNOTS in it without any loss of strength like you would find in standard spectra line.

The Q-PowerLine Pro is made with a linear core line surrounded by a protective jacket. Traditional fly lines are made from a woven Spectra that over time that will relax and allow water, salt, and other grime to penetrate into the weave and make the line "settle" to a shorter length. Since the internal fibers of Q-PowerLine Pro are linear, there is no "settling" or "stretch" of the lines since there is no weave. The protective jacket is woven in an extremely tight braid and does not allow for dirt or salt particles to get imbedded in the line. These properties dramatically increase the life-span of the line for normal kite-flying use.

The Q-PowerLine Pro line is thinner and stronger than the regular Q-PowerLine thanks to the new linear Spectra core. In a round braid, the effective diameter is minimized while retaining the strength meaning less drag and more performance. Q-Power helps you FEEL what the kite is doing, improves kite responsiveness, minimizes the need to "retune" the line lengths, and reduces the kite's instability.

Simply put, Q-PowerLine Pro is the best combination of fiber, overbraid, strength, longevity, anti-tangling, and drag-reduction ever produced for kitesurfing and power kite applications.

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:16 am

Matteo V wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:06 am
evan wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:52 pm
Do you have testing equipment?

And for the record, I am fairly sure spliced connections are almost always stronger than knots. Do you mean (by - "splice is worse") that the North loose braid is just not acceptable for splicing?
Just a simple manual car-jack with a heavy duty crane scale that I need to film to get the maximum value, but it does the job up to 1000kg and perfect to test if the samples you made are strong enough.

Lines with only 8 strands, like the ones North uses, get 30-50% weaker when spliced, if you manage to splice them at all. So a simple stiched sleeve is stronger on those types of lines.
Also 12-strand lines with a high weave-angle don't like to be spliced. For example the super elastic lines Naish used before their ultra thick "best of the industry" SK75 500kg lines.
These users thanked the author evan for the post:
Foil (Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:51 pm)

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:20 pm

Foil wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:51 am
finally
I have found a supplier in the EU,
Ireland.
I have enlarged the pictures to check if this seller is selling the genuine stuff, and he does.
for some reason he sews on added black loop ends, which is not needed, In fact I would not want that on my lines, there is no need and it limits what you can do with these lines,
just cut and loop and tie off, so simple, and neat, but you do need pigtail line ends with easy to undo larks head ends as the Q line really tightens up under load and is fiddley to undo and very hard to undo with winter gloves on, I use the North ends as they are so easy to tie on and then release, and never wear out.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Q-power-dyne ... 2919958037

I would also ask for coloured coded lines, red and yellow are good and really stand out on the beach and under water, other colours are available but black and white are not as bright.
if they only do white then colour coded ends are a must, like the north ones I use.
The guy is reliable, I've seen quite a few posts about him in FB/Kitebay - all very positive.
You can contact him directly https://www.facebook.com/slav.kiterepair for a customised solution.
These users thanked the author nixmatters for the post:
Foil (Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:48 pm)

AndersP
Frequent Poster
Gear: Foil and Mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby AndersP » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:17 pm

Deleted

knyfe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knyfe » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:04 am

I rather wonder why their spool length are these really whacky length no one really needs. Why not making a spool 90m so one can get 4 lines straight. They shoot right in the middle with they offer. No one uses that straight. Always has been that way btw. My set still runs strong ;-)

Return to “Kitesurfing”