Q-powerline suppliers in EU

Forum for kitesurfers
faklord
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Q-powerline suppliers in EU

Postby faklord » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:41 pm

Subject says it all really.
Anybody know of any q-powerline suppliers in the EU..preferably spools?
Thanks

rogue_kiteboarder
Frequent Poster
Gear: Crazy Fly Bulldozer/Crazyfly Raptor LTD, Naish Pivot, Duotone Rebel, Crazyfly Hyper, Mystic Majestic X
Brand Affiliation: Kiteboarding.com
Has thanked: 0

Re: Q-powerline suppliers in EU

Postby rogue_kiteboarder » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:50 pm

faklord wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:41 pm
Subject says it all really.
Anybody know of any q-powerline suppliers in the EU..preferably spools?
Thanks
Kiteboarding.com sells spools and has great international shipping rates if you cannot find it over there.

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:58 pm

With so many Dyneema braided lines manufacturers in Europe, why does it has to come from the US?

I just checked the specs and pricing (competitive in US indeed) and the Q-PowerLine Pro with 272 kg (600 lb) x 1,4-1,5mm seems to be on par with common Dyneema SK75 lines.

And not sure if Spectra has got license to make SK99 grade yet?

If you are after spools of 12-strand SK75 coated and prestretched lines, drop me a message and I'll hook you up with someone who has a large stock with very competitive pricing

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:51 am

finally
I have found a supplier in the EU,
Ireland.
I have enlarged the pictures to check if this seller is selling the genuine stuff, and he does.
for some reason he sews on added black loop ends, which is not needed, In fact I would not want that on my lines, there is no need and it limits what you can do with these lines,
just cut and loop and tie off, so simple, and neat, but you do need pigtail line ends with easy to undo larks head ends as the Q line really tightens up under load and is fiddley to undo and very hard to undo with winter gloves on, I use the North ends as they are so easy to tie on and then release, and never wear out.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Q-power-dyne ... 2919958037

I would also ask for coloured coded lines, red and yellow are good and really stand out on the beach and under water, other colours are available but black and white are not as bright.
if they only do white then colour coded ends are a must, like the north ones I use.
These users thanked the author Foil for the post:
faklord (Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:26 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:03 am

Foil wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:51 am
for some reason he sews on a added loop end, which is not needed, In fact I would not want that on my lines, there is no need and it limits what you can do with these lines,.....
Have you done, or seen any data on breaking strength when you knot Q-powerline?

I have heard of some test results from a trusted source that are a bit scary. That is why I sewed my Q-powerline sets. Still, I had issues. If you do sew loops, make sure the line is saturated with water during the sewing process and go slow. You can cut Dyneema/Spectra with the friction heat of sewing with nylon line fast.

Also, when making a line end termination (not a pigtail), Make absolutely sure the figure-8 knot is perfect and equally tight along all loops in the knot. An imperfect figure-8 is guaranteed to be less breaking strength than a perfect one.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
Kraken fuse 703k

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,

Postby Foil » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:47 am

Matteo V wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:03 am
Foil wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:51 am
for some reason he sews on a added loop end, which is not needed, In fact I would not want that on my lines, there is no need and it limits what you can do with these lines,.....
Have you done, or seen any data on breaking strength when you knot Q-powerline?

I have heard of some test results from a trusted source that are a bit scary. That is why I sewed my Q-powerline sets. Still, I had issues. If you do sew loops, make sure the line is saturated with water during the sewing process and go slow. You can cut Dyneema/Spectra with the friction heat of sewing with nylon line fast.

Also, when making a line end termination (not a pigtail), Make absolutely sure the figure-8 knot is perfect and equally tight along all loops in the knot. An imperfect figure-8 is guaranteed to be less breaking strength than a perfect one.
the makers of Q powerline recommend just loop ends simple knot to finish, and there you have it, full breaking load to spec or much more, the only test i gave mine was many years of use back in the early 2000s along with many others using overpowered C kites, never did I hear of any line failures, ever!
I did do a snatch load test against other lines of the time, ie tie lines off on a post free end round a kite bar and then snatch back as hard as possible to try and break the various lines I had saved from many other bars, so easy to snap standard kite line it was shocking, but Q line was more shocking as it refused to break.
figure 8 knots are not required with Q line.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:53 am

Q line has two advantages:

1. You can simply tie a knot and make lines or adjustments in no time, or shorten lines - awesome :thumb:

2. On the ground if rugged, they can withstand abuse and shells and rocks a lot more, so the risk of breaking them is minimal, compared :thumb:

The disadvantages (in my experience) is they can not be pulled as easily on the ground or in the water, they can "jam up" easier when handled, doesnt glide well when twisted around each other, bulky somehow so not as easy :roll:

Thus I dont use these nomore now, but they GOT serious advantages if one is okay with the latter!

8) Peter

foam-n-fibre
Frequent Poster
Gear: DIY boards and OR kites

Postby foam-n-fibre » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:34 pm

I've seen Q-lines break at the knot if a careless figure-8 knot is used where the parallel lines are allowed to cross inside the knot. If you take the time to get the half twist out of the figure-8 knot which normally gets created when you fold the line in half and tie the knot then I think the knot is much stronger, and I've never seen or heard of one like that failing.

Peter

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kraken fuse 703k

Postby Foil » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:08 pm

foam-n-fibre wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:34 pm
I've seen Q-lines break at the knot if a careless figure-8 knot is used where the parallel lines are allowed to cross inside the knot. If you take the time to get the half twist out of the figure-8 knot which normally gets created when you fold the line in half and tie the knot then I think the knot is much stronger, and I've never seen or heard of one like that failing.

Peter
Just to confirm my findings from over 15 years ago I have just been into may garage to repeat the "SNATCH" test.
standard Q line against current 12 month old north/Duotone line.
using a 2 clean half meter lengths from the centre section of north flying line, one with red trace and one with black trace thread.
and then just one half meter length of standard Q line.
I looped both ends of each line with a bowline knot.
fixed all lines to a heavy fixed post just using a short length of 6 mm old Powerline.

Instead of using a bar I used a standard lump hammer, and looped the lines one at a time over the handle and up against the 4 - 5kg steel lump on the hammer.
this is where I say that I really believe everyone should repeat this simple test, it will really make you think about looking after your lines with regular inspections, remember these lines are in perfect condition.
Gulp!
the test-
fist up, North line,
I raised my arm half way up and used about half of my arm power to pull quickly in a downwards arc.
snap, so easy, too easy, fluffy fraying at the point of failure just below the bowline, (photos to follow)
swapped over to the other length of North line and used much less power,
it held
increased the power a little and -snap!
ok, so now the Q line,
started with the same half power snatch and-nothing, then full power and- nothing
Much later after many hard nasty looking snatch backs I did manage to snap the Q line, and it went with a sort of bang as by this time I was bending my knees to brace back against the hard pulls back.
the broken ends looks very different, and the other end of the Q line showed stress marks resulting from the many snatch-backs it endured before giving in.

for now I will be staying with the Q lines,
well I would say that anyways, as I have converted all my 3 click bars to Power Q line at considerable cost.

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:02 pm

I appreciate the effort on the test.

But it seems to me you have simply demonstrated it is not a good idea to create a loop in stranded line with a knot.
These users thanked the author purdyd for the post:
iriejohn (Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:53 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”