Forum for kitesurfers
Macster
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Melbourne
Gear: Moses and Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None

Line lengths for mega looping

Postby Macster » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:43 am

I'm still learning to mega loop. I'm still staying below 10 meters until I get confident.

I've been experimenting with different line lengths and kites:

The Vegas 8m and 10m on 22m lines
Bandit 9 and 11m with 24m lines
Ozone enduro 10m with 23m and 20m lines
Fx 8m and 10m with 22m and 19m lines

Seems to me the longer the lines the more sloppy you can be with your loop and get away with not having the kite and your body perfectly positioned when throwing the loop but the loops take longer of course.

Short lines are more aggressive and still have the same yank in the loop but spin faster. I have nailed myself a few times now on short lines throwing a loop when I'm not perfectly squared up. So maybe it's not good to learn on short lines and progress to those later?

Are my comments about right?

By the way, if it helps, the Bandit has the least pull out of all of those kites for looping and is good to learn on. The Vegas is scary as hell in comparison and my favorite is the Enduro.

swimmer
Medium Poster
Style: TRICKS
Gear: Liquid Force, Cabrinha, Best

Re: Line lengths for mega looping

Postby swimmer » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:29 pm

You are correct! Short lines= powered and aggressive yank due to the kite looping more downwind. Long lines = less aggressive pull and the timing of the loop is less important.
Also with shorter lines you are not going to jump as high (on average) so you will have less height to work with... keep that in mind.

23-25m lines are great to learn on and will be forgiving enough. Once have the loop mechanics down i would shorten down to ~21-22m line or stay on the longer lines try a true Ckite the vegas in your case.
If you plan to be looping over 10m in strong winds you need to practice good body positioning and squaring up well before a strong yank.

Sub 20m lines definitely offer more excitement if you get bored. My favorite is 12-16m lines as the kite goes level or under you in the right conditions but also harder to jump high unless it's really blowing.

21-22m is the sweet spot for good height and excitement.
These users thanked the author swimmer for the post:
Guttorm (Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:50 am)
Rating: 3.03%

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:06 am

I just heli loop (both down and normal loop) because I'm old, fat and a chicken. It's looping for fun, not as a challenge.
Looping on 27m lines is a blast. So easy, relaxed and easier landings than 23m lines. Try it!
These users thanked the author sarc for the post:
Guttorm (Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:49 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Macster
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Melbourne
Gear: Moses and Ozone

Postby Macster » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:30 am

swimmer wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:29 pm
You are correct! Short lines= powered and aggressive yank due to the kite looping more downwind. Long lines = less aggressive pull and the timing of the loop is less important.
Also with shorter lines you are not going to jump as high (on average) so you will have less height to work with... keep that in mind.

23-25m lines are great to learn on and will be forgiving enough. Once have the loop mechanics down i would shorten down to ~21-22m line or stay on the longer lines try a true Ckite the vegas in your case.
If you plan to be looping over 10m in strong winds you need to practice good body positioning and squaring up well before a strong yank.

Sub 20m lines definitely offer more excitement if you get bored. My favorite is 12-16m lines as the kite goes level or under you in the right conditions but also harder to jump high unless it's really blowing.

21-22m is the sweet spot for good height and excitement.
Thanks. I might go back to 23m lines on my enduro until I get the loops going more naturally and 100% accurate. I had a bad crash and lucky escape the other day when I pushed myself in 25-30 knots on the enduro 10m. Came down backwards and shoulders / head first from about 9 - 10ms up in the air... all I can remember thinking was please dont get knocked out! I finished the loop though and pulled the bar in before impact which I reckon saved my arse.

Anyway, cheers for the responses.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo
Has thanked: 0

Postby jeromeL » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:02 pm

That’s right,
Short line kite will catch you a bit better but will be more aggressive.
As far as learning I thought bandit 24m line was pretty hard to learn to loop on, I probably didn’t have great body position, it kept yanking me into Superman and tended to stall, I had tendancy to sheet back in quite late on heliloop though.
It was much easier to learn on Best GP 22m kite bar.

I did try gts on stock line as well as 20m line, I was getting yanked way more on 20m 8m gts vs 22m 9m best gp in same wind condition.

I tried 18m line on FX, that was kind of insane and fun but scary.

Here is some pic of my latest loop on best gp to brag a bit 8)
3016E608-120B-48CA-97FD-C3FA65B9BEC2.jpeg

Return to “Kitesurfing”