Forum for kitesurfers
THOR_NADO
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Land of the Vikings
Gear: Non
Brand Affiliation: None

New to kite, need to choose kite

Postby THOR_NADO » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:41 pm

I have been windsurfing during 12 years and paragliding for one year and now i tought, why not combine theese two...
So which boadr and kite shall I buy that does wave, some freestyle and freeride? I have heard that Naish pivot shall be very versatile. Could that be working for me? And What board do I choose if I am 180cm 90kg

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Re: New to kite, need to choose kite

Postby badgb21 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:03 pm

Hi Thor and welcome to the forum.
Your question always gets some sparks flying.
There is a lot to consider before you buy anything, but hooking up with locals and talking with them will probably give you the most relevant advice.

This thread only a short while ago, highlights the varied views of kitesurfers, but worth a read;
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2401603

Enjoy the ride.
These users thanked the author badgb21 for the post:
THOR_NADO (Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:17 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:13 pm

Hello, Thor. Take some kiteboarding lessons and make your equipment decision based on what you learn and experience in those lessons. Have fun with the journey.
These users thanked the author FLandOBX for the post (total 2):
THOR_NADO (Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:17 pm) • iriejohn (Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:29 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Beardytello
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Isle of Man
Gear: North / Spleene / Ozone / CrazyFly / Mystic

Postby Beardytello » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:21 pm

FLandOBX wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:13 pm
Hello, Thor. Take some kiteboarding lessons and make your equipment decision based on what you learn and experience in those lessons. Have fun with the journey.
I agree!

There are many combinations of other sports that may or may not make learning to kite easier, for the price of a lesson it's WELL worth the investment.

You won't regret it!
These users thanked the author Beardytello for the post:
THOR_NADO (Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:17 pm)

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:26 pm

yes, I agree too.
This will give you more ideas to what to look for in regards of size of kite and board.

Like this too much to recommend really...

A good idea is also to start with a used kite...saves some money and new gear gets used heavier when you are a beginner.

This way it doesn't matter if you break the kite.

And once you know more what to buy you can buy something new and crispy ;-)
These users thanked the author Toby for the post:
THOR_NADO (Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:18 pm)

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:31 pm

THOR_NADO wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:41 pm
I have been windsurfing during 12 years and paragliding for one year and now i tought, why not combine theese two...
So which boadr and kite shall I buy that does wave, some freestyle and freeride? I have heard that Naish pivot shall be very versatile. Could that be working for me? And What board do I choose if I am 180cm 90kg
Tjena, definitely, do lessons. You might want to check out the Naish Pivot for after lessons. What type of board wil you primarily be looking at? If you are mainly into waves, I would suggest a directional / surfboard.
These users thanked the author tautologies for the post:
THOR_NADO (Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:18 pm)

THOR_NADO
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Land of the Vikings
Gear: Non

Postby THOR_NADO » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:22 pm

I have heard that I should go for a twintip as a beginner. I like buying new stuff on sales, then I know everthing is ok but for a low price.
Ill do as you suggest and ask the lokals. There are many kitesurfing where I live so there must be someone to ask.
I feel really hooked on this, this is going to be fun

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:38 pm

THOR_NADO wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:22 pm
I have heard that I should go for a twintip as a beginner. I like buying new stuff on sales, then I know everthing is ok but for a low price.
Ill do as you suggest and ask the lokals. There are many kitesurfing where I live so there must be someone to ask.
Good, but you are not acknowledging the universal advice here to get lessons. Way too many people think they can learn this sport alone and either get hurt or hurt others (sometimes leading to us losing access to a beach or launch area), or get so scared they quit. To be able to ride you have to have enough power in the kite to pull you along, and that is enough power that when incorrectly applied in a downloop or updraft gust can kill. At the very least you need a patient and understanding friend to teach you in a safe place with shallow water, but given your question it is clear you do not have that. And yes, most people today start on twintip boards, simply because it is easier to change direction, but I had a friend I taught who came from windsurfing who actually found it easier to start on a strapless surfboard, and then moved to twintip. I second the Pivot as a good beginner kite that will be fine as you progress (you can see I have them and love them) (as we all know, Kevin Langaree is one of the world's best kiters and uses one, so you will find it hard to out-progress him - see his KevVlogs on YouTube!), but also that you should get second hand or as you suggest on sale (one or two years old is all you will find on sale for Pivots and most kites, for used only back to 2015 for the Pivot as that is when it started, general advice for used kites is nothing older than 2012 when most kites and bars went to single front line flagout for safety, a critical advance).
These users thanked the author Hugh2 for the post:
THOR_NADO (Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:15 pm)

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:50 pm

THOR_NADO wrote:

you will start from the beginning...so you have to adapt to any kind of board. So think about the style you want to go for...then decide for your board.

But, I suggest to try all kind of boards to see where you have the most fun with :thumb:
These users thanked the author Toby for the post:

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:02 pm

THOR_NADO wrote:
There are no rules that say you need to do either. The drawback of going with a directional in the beginning is that you might have to sit down and switch the board until you can get your transitions. I'd say if you really want to ride waves, go for a directional because of two things...you already know how to windsurf, so directional will be familiar, secondly the directional boards goes way easier upwind both because they have a tendency to be bigger and because they have surf fins.

I agree with the strategy of getting something you know is good. Your knowledge of the wind will help you catch on to this sport in no time, but take a lesson first because making a mistake with a kite can have you flying into trees.
These users thanked the author tautologies for the post:

Return to “Kitesurfing”