Forum for kitesurfers
THOR_NADO
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Land of the Vikings
Gear: Non
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: New to kite, need to choose kite

Postby THOR_NADO » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:42 pm

I'm planning to take som training, it is like paragliding it can be really dangerous.
The thing is that if i buy everthing now I can get a good deal on last years stuff or on used kites but in the summer it is not the same price and a lot is sold out. I have watched Kevvlog, I would say it is his videos that make me want to try kitesurfing

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:06 pm

THOR_NADO wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:42 pm
I'm planning to take som training, it is like paragliding it can be really dangerous.
The thing is that if i buy everthing now I can get a good deal on last years stuff or on used kites but in the summer it is not the same price and a lot is sold out. I have watched Kevvlog, I would say it is his videos that make me want to try kitesurfing
Ah great.
The fun thing is that Langeree rides a Naish Pivot. Even if he, as a pro, is on that kite, it isn't too extreme for others. It has great qualities in flatwater, it is stable and grunty and happens to be awesome in waves too. If you can get a deal on it, I'd say go for it.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:31 pm

tautologies wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:02 pm
but take a lesson first because making a mistake with a kite can have you flying into trees.
Do this. :thumb:

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:01 pm

If you have a local shop consider buying one of the brands they carry. Easier to get spare parts that way. You can all so ask around for advice on sizes that you will need. Locals will have a better idea than random folks around the globe at what you need. Most people on here will just say "X kites" because thats what they own.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:22 am

While a Pivot will definitely work and is an extremely versatile kite there are other options that might be better to consider.

What kind of wind strength are you going to be riding in? Will it be gusty?

I'm a big fan of single strut kites for beginners (and experts too!):
- they tend to fly well when oversheeted instead of backstalling (the most common rookie mistake)
- they tend to avoid overflying another common mistake
- if you do overfly them they are much harder to hindenburg (this is hindenburging https://m.facebook.com/113328052012550/ ... 6260663704)
- they are generally good gust handlers
- they are very versatile
- they stay in the air down to 8 knots (many 3 strut kites will fall in the water if it lulls down to 10 knots)
- they have large wind ranges
- they cost less than 3 or 5 strut kites

There are some downsides to them though:
- they don't powered loop very well, you get tip flutter
- dogs have a tendency to run over them on the beach which puts holes in them (they lay flat on the sides like a picnic blanket)
- they wont boost as high as a high aspect 5 strut kite (this is can also be considered a positive for strapless riding)

I myself fly LF Solo's and am very happy with them.

As for learning on a TT vs. directional I think that it's fully possible to start with a directional, you just need to pick the right board. You need to get a board that rides well both forwards and backwards.
Boards like:
- Shinnster: by far the best first directional to learn on, very fun, very smooth, rides perfectly backwards
- OR Jester/Duke: very fun directional, Duke for bigger guys, only issue is even though it looks like a surfboard it doesn't surf waves well at all
- Wave Bandit Performer 4-10: my one board quiver, I love this board but I'm only 75 kg, dunno if it would work for you at 90 kg

Return to “Kitesurfing”