Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Can you ride the duotone Jaime with boots?

Forum for kitesurfers
VDK
Rare Poster
Gear: Naish park with a North Jaime board
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Can you ride the duotone Jaime with boots?

Postby VDK » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:05 pm

I was thinking in buying the duotone Jaime and I wanted to ask if you can ride the board with boots or not. Also if you'd recommend it or not? Also if someone could add how strong is the difference in upwind capability with the gambler and Jaime. Keep in mind I'd say I am a intermediate rider. Thx

Dan-at-Duotone
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Crazy Beaches
Style: Kooky
Gear: Go
Brand Affiliation: Sales/Marketing/Service for Duotone/Ion in North America

Re: Can you ride the duotone Jaime with boots?

Postby Dan-at-Duotone » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:25 pm

I recommend against riding the Jaime with boots. Some people (particularly lighter or less aggressive riders) have done so without a problem, but the tracks in the Jaime are not reinforced as they are on the Team Series, Hadlow, and Gambler, so if you ride it with boots there is a chance that the added force from the boots will crack the tracks.

As far as upwind goes, the Jaime is probably a bit better than the Gambler. but both will go upwind fine.

-Dan

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:34 pm

I hate the gambler in boots. I love the old jaime in boots. This is an older one without the track system, so it's possible once the Jaime went to the track system it's no longer as safe to ride in boots. I weigh 200 pounds and have slammed this board, sometimes I feel like I'm about to bend it in half, have been ejected several times in kite loops, and the inserts have stayed tight the entire time. I say go for it, let us know how it goes. I mean you could wreck the board but that's still better than having to ride the gambler ;-) Or maybe get the Team Series. I like the team series a lot better. Just my preference about boards, I can't ride the gambler just don't like how it rides, feels like I'm slogging on a windsurfer. My friend has a newer textreme Jaime with the track system and I think that board is also a fantastic board for boots, I mean if the track holds, and you can only find out if you give it a shot.

But don't take my word for my board preferences go out and demo the boards! who knows what you'll like. Maybe you'll love the gambler.

Most boards from all manufacturers are strong enough for boots and the manufacturers are usually over conservative about telling people not to ride with them. Regular riders don't stomp the landing nearly as hard as pros do. The only reason I would not suggest trying boots on a board is if the board is too flexible. If the board is too flexy, it bows up and down in the middle like some kind of see saw and is unridable. Boards have to be stiff enough between the boots that there's not too much flex.

caduo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby caduo » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:55 am

maybe the board may hold the boots,but you have to ask your local shop if duotone covers the warranty when using jaime with boots to avoid troubles,also maybe check the team series instead of the gambler

Return to “Kitesurfing”