Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Liquid Force Radnium vs Echo vs older Element?

Forum for kitesurfers
swimmer
Medium Poster
Style: TRICKS
Gear: Liquid Force, Cabrinha, Best

Liquid Force Radnium vs Echo vs older Element?

Postby swimmer » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:57 am

Anyone tried the new LF Radnium and could report/compare it with the Echo or Element?

I rode the 2017 136cm Element extensively; I loved that it was stiff, had great edge bite and popped very well. Downside was it landed a little too harsh for my liking. If it only it had a tad of rocker in the center to smooth out the ride/landings more. Wondering if the Radnium is any different than the Element with how it lands and rides?

Tried the Echo briefly and landings were smoother than on the element but it didn't quite feel optimized for straps. Maybe I just didn't give the Echo enough time....
Considering getting the echo to let my knees last longer per session unless the radnium was changed up
Last edited by swimmer on Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Werito
Medium Poster
Gear: kites, boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Liquid Force Radnium vs Echo vs older Element?

Postby Werito » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:00 am

Haven't ridden Radnium, but for me it looks like re-named Element.

My experience with Element and Echo is similar to yours. Echo lands smoother, is more skatey while Element feels more stiff, straight and rides more like train, having a tad more pop maybe as well. They've added rocker to it gradually, but I think Echo still has more of it. I've also experienced Echo with straps lately, and when I got myself adjusted I actually liked it a lot. It's different ride compared to Element(and Rarnium i suppose) though.
These users thanked the author Werito for the post:
swimmer (Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:38 am)
Rating: 3.03%

swimmer
Medium Poster
Style: TRICKS
Gear: Liquid Force, Cabrinha, Best

Postby swimmer » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:38 am

Right i recall the Echo had a bit of a skatey/loose feel which was kind of surprising since it has more bottom channeling than the Element. Maybe it's because the rails on the Echo are fatter and offer less bite.

Werito do you ride your echo with the standard 4cm fins, smaller fins or no fins?

Werito
Medium Poster
Gear: kites, boards

Postby Werito » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:31 am

Yeah, I think it's because Element is more squared shape and also less rocker. Btw, I actually think that their Legacy has a bit skatey feel as well compared to Element, but it was long time ago when I tried it.

I usually ride Echo 142 with boots and without fins or with 2cm fins if it's choppy. I also tried Echo 137 with straps and 4 or 5cm fins, and for me it worked well. But it's different board definitely. When I switched to it few years back, I was struggling a little in the beginning because I couldn't get that same edge bite that I had with my previous, more squared shape board.

galzohar
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Old school and kiteloops
Gear: Duotone Rebel 13m 2023
North Orbit 9m 2023
North Atmos Carbon 138x41

Postby galzohar » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:12 am

While I realize this post is old, it comes up in google searches, so I figured I'd add my comments in case others find it as well.

Element 2018 vs 2017 is just slightly different sizing.
Radium vs element 2018 is slightly more rounded corners.
I haven't had much time on the echo and rode it in a small size but the main difference I could feel that it's much less stiff than the element/radnium. Not sure why, maybe because I've always used them, I usually like the stiffer boards better (even for just jumping big in a storm, not just for unhooked freestyle).

Just for comparison Cabrinha Xcaliber Carbon is (surprisingly?) much less stiff than the element, but placing the element next to a duotone team series (hadlow edition, but should be the same for any TS) the element felt like a soft board... Yet all 3 are targeted at competitive freestyle.

Overall I'm loving the Element (just broke mine almost completely in half after 1.5 years, but LF are replacing it with a Radium under warranty).
I don't notice the harsh landings but maybe I haven't compared it to more rockered boards. But I suppose it tries to make up for it in great upwind ability. Though you should make sure to get a proper size - At 85kg I had to be overpowered to enjoy the 137 element... Changing to 142 was a huge upgrade, and even with that and a 14m Cabrinha FX kite in choppy conditions I need at least 15 knots to have fun. Take 4cm fins if you ever ride in choppy conditions, I tried the 3cm and it was a bit nicer in flat but significantly worse in chop. The board has incredible edge grip - While it doesn't have any rails in the center, the significant rails in the corners seem to get the job done. And while the center is a bit flat (which supposedly trades landings with better speed generation before popping), the edges got a nice rocker which gets you past chops and waves very nicely.

Return to “Kitesurfing”