Forum for kitesurfers
Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Cloud Kites A Caution

Postby Matteo V » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:47 pm

Bill C wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:01 pm
Instead of a 'Thanks' button for lightandfrost, there ought to be one for 'Your an idiot'.
Great reply! (complete sarcasm)

The forum is supposed to be an exchange of ideas and information. What ideas and information have you posted, Bill C? Really think about that.

I am not for censoring personal attacks, but at least put some evidence for your personal attack and any other claims you are making. "lightandfrost" at least presented some evidence that is verified by the MFG's website.

So from this thread, I can conclude that there is some evidence for "lightandfrost's" position to be based in truth, and your are really butt hurt by an statement that is at least partially true.

And last question - What part of his position do you think is true, and which part do you believe to be false?

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:14 pm

kite_hh wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:40 am
..........Otherwise I find the statement: "You need help.." offensive and uncalled for.
I find that statement "You need help.." very helpful and telling of "james's" personality. It also establishes that he has a lack of credibility in presenting unbiased reasoning on the subject. Unfounded personal attacks are the quickest way to determine the value of a reply. Occasionally, a personal attack will be backed up with evidence and reasoning, lending some validity to the attacker's position. But no matter how true a response containing a personal attack may be, it still tips you off to the personality of the respondent.

Thus I highly value the freedom for anyone to make a personal attack. Those who have a tendency to make a personal attack, rarely possess the restraint to stop themselves from doing so, even when they realize that behavior is an obvious indication of emotional distress.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tautologies » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:54 pm

Hmm, I am not one to get personal, but OP's post seems speculative and not actual. It could be a language thing tho so no problem for me.

I do not even know there is an actual issue since the post say it might blow...having had these for a long time..I have never heard of this before.

Like has been mentioned, BRM are very upfront with what service can be expected outside the US...but the community that rides the kites helps out...its a matter of being nice and asking for help.

That said, no the kite does not need extreme pressure at all. No, the tips don't bend. There is no flaw in the design...so no systematic failures should be expected.
Yes if you put a bladder that isn't designed for an LE that it might blow. I mean that is blatantly obvious and it holds for every single kite in the world.
These users thanked the author tautologies for the post:
james (Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:14 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:16 pm

My suggestion of “you need help” was entirely factual.
These users thanked the author james for the post:
jonysan (Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:21 am)

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:22 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:14 pm
kite_hh wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:40 am
..........Otherwise I find the statement: "You need help.." offensive and uncalled for.
I find that statement "You need help.." very helpful and telling of "james's" personality. It also establishes that he has a lack of credibility in presenting unbiased reasoning on the subject. Unfounded personal attacks are the quickest way to determine the value of a reply. Occasionally, a personal attack will be backed up with evidence and reasoning, lending some validity to the attacker's position. But no matter how true a response containing a personal attack may be, it still tips you off to the personality of the respondent.

Thus I highly value the freedom for anyone to make a personal attack. Those who have a tendency to make a personal attack, rarely possess the restraint to stop themselves from doing so, even when they realize that behavior is an obvious indication of emotional distress.
As for the unwarranted and Un requested carachter assignation, I will thank you to practice what you preach.

Declaring that I am obviously in emotional distress is about as personal attack as you can make don’t you think?

IF I was and you had just used your cod psychology to out me as emotionally distressed it would likely shatter what emotional stability I was clinging too.

Maybe Let’s keep it about kiting rather than digging through every post that you don’t agree with?

apollo4000
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Camber / Lancing / Whitstable
Favorite Beaches: The next one
Style: trying hard
Gear: All sorts
Brand Affiliation: Nope. Just a regular Joe.

Postby apollo4000 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:26 pm

kite_hh wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:45 pm
james wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:24 pm
Ok, if the op knows there is no international shipping h how did he buy the kite?
I don't know. Ask OP!
I think it was rhetorical.

apollo4000
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Camber / Lancing / Whitstable
Favorite Beaches: The next one
Style: trying hard
Gear: All sorts
Brand Affiliation: Nope. Just a regular Joe.

Postby apollo4000 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:35 pm

lightandfrost wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:12 am
If you are considering purchasing a Cloud kite we provide the following caution.

First there is nothing wrong with the design. These kites fly fine.

However this kite requires high pressure to function properly. The designers own videos suggest pumping the kite with a hand pump until you can barely push the plunger down.

This pressure puts allot of stress on the input valve and the restraining material around the internal bladder and of course the bladder itself. Should a failure occur, the bladder can easily become damaged to the point where local repair is difficult. Even small pin holes can become problematic. This means replacement parts are required.

The problem with owning this kite is the companies lack of support for anyone living outside the USA. The company dose not offer international sales/service/shipping.

And if you think you can use other bladders of similar size be advised that where these kites bend near the tips, the bladders themselves have a external padding as protection. Other bladders of the same general shape length and size just explode when installed.

In closing if you intend on using or purchasing these kites for use outside the USA think twice before you buy. Your kite may enter bladder purgatory.
Do you own one of these kites and did the bladder fail and did you know when you bought it there’s no support outside the US and did you try another bladder that failed? It’s not clear if you’re speculating or speaking from personal experience? If you did, and it did, and you did, then it’s kind of the risk you took. If you’re speculating, why?

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:52 pm

Everyone has limits in what they can do, and it's too bad BRM can't support international sales, but fellow cloud fliers can help you out if you need it.
There is some support available from fellow users via a facebook group and online communities, including this one.

If you use a non original replacement bladder for any kite, you need to make sure it is big enough, installed carefully, and well supported.
There are well known companies all over that specialize in kite repairs and bladder replacement, and most retail and kite school operators have experience with this too.

I have had no bladder problems with clouds and have flown them for years. bought one of the first production C1s in february 2013. Still holds air and flies fine.
I also have a 7m C2 with extra pigtails all over it I bought from a guy who bought it used from Greg.
Greg told me it was a prototype used to develop the C2 bridles, and had 100,000 miles of use equivalent.
I bought it anyway. After 4 more years, it still flies fine from 15 to 30 knots. No complaints from me.
Last edited by BWD on Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:07 pm

Post asking for assistance with pretty much any aspect of the cloud kites, you will get the help you need. The community around these kites is very strong and genuinely full of Aloha.

Choose to post your issue as a general warning/complaint with little to no solid information as you have done and this is what you will get.

Do it in third person and... well your kind of asking for it.
Last edited by jumptheshark on Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
james (Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:02 pm)

bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils

Postby bigtone667 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:14 pm

I have owned 7/9/12/14.5/17/17 C2, 3.5/5.5/8.5.13.5 .5's, 3.7/4.8/6.2/8/10.4/13.4 D's and have only worn out the main canopy on the 12m C2 due to scraping sand etc on self launches.

I certainly had to have higher pressure in the 17 C2 and 13.5 to avoid wingtip bending. But they were dragging 105kg around. But the higher pressure has never caused an issue.
These users thanked the author bigtone667 for the post:
nixmatters (Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:45 pm)

Return to “Kitesurfing”