Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Cloud Kites A Caution

Postby plummet » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:43 pm

Wow, So much rage towards this guy who has only discussed his experience with this brand.

I think there are some fanboys here that need to calm there virgina's down and chill out.
These users thanked the author plummet for the post (total 2):
tautologies (Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:28 am) • Pemba (Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:35 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:02 pm

Vagina..

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:17 am

Plummet I not only fly clouds, I live in Virginia, and I must take exception to your remarks.

There is some irony in the fact that we are confronted with an entity which prides itself in hacking together odd diy combos of old surfboards, hydrofoils, and prosthetic aquatic rodent appendages,
yet has nothing but whinge over minor kite issues, the like of which most riders have to face on their own at some point.

In the end, I’m all in favor of diy, new designs of boards, foils, and kites, and the people who make it possible. This thread is kinda funny, reminds me of the old days...

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Postby GregK » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:26 am

I've owned 6 and 8m C1 Clouds for many years, still using them and really enjoy them now for foiling. Adjusted the bridles to remove 4 of the 6 stainless sliders / pulleys that came on the original bridle, that's the only significant work I've done to mine. The durability of these kites is superb.

May have had a pinhole or two in them at some point, no problems removing & re-installing the LE bladders to patch the pinholes. For surf-style wave-riding and foiling, Clouds are the best IMO, once you are used to how they fly.

Looking forward to buying a quiver of the new D-zero Clouds when funds are available.

lightandfrost
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: N/A
Local Beach: N/A
Favorite Beaches: N/A
Style: onshore waveriding
Gear: N/A
Brand Affiliation: SOKG (Self Organizing Kite Group)
Has thanked: 0

Postby lightandfrost » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:01 am

To clarify some points.

1. The flight performance of the Cloud series is excellent. Buy one and test it yourself.

2. The kites were obtained outside the USA.

3. A request for spare parts was sent to the company.

4. The bladder valves in these kites in our possession delaminated. Also bladders exploded during inflation. The reasons are NOT from poor bladders but spare parts were required as local repair was difficult.

5. Other bladders were tried as mentioned.

6. All these kites have a bend near the wingtip The bladder is thickened in that area with another layer of plastic to protect the bladder itself

7. Reference Pressure See the words of the designer himself

http://boardridingmaui.com/cloud-history.html

June 2, 2016
The C.5 leading edge is considerably smaller than any other kite to give her the highest possible performance from lowest possible drag + weight. This requires considerably higher inflation pressure than other kites.

In closing

Again this is a spare parts matter not a design problem.

We wish to thank bigtone667 for his commentary on how resistant BRM kites are to damage. Anyone with that number of kites will have a better view of this kite line then ours.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:33 am

Plummet this isn't rage at all. Its people not recognizing their experience reacting. That should be fine.

In any case of one complain it should be warranted and in this case...not sure sure if we're there. The community around BRM is great. Ig might might make more sense to go that path first.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:22 pm

@ Lightandfrost

You have stated in other threads that you are not for profit, open source with intent to share relevant information with the community. Could you give a bit of explanation as to who you are for others in the community to better understand your perspective.

Thanks in advance.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:20 pm

james wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:16 pm
My suggestion of “you need help” was entirely factual.
So......some would say that this reaffirmation of your previous statement is what you would call "doubling down". There is a current national figure notorious for this trait in his rants. A better way of expressing a rebuttal, would be to present more evidence in a logical and reasonable manner to explain your position further. This is something that the referenced leader seems unable to do. You also seem to share this trait, but that is not something I would hold against you as it is just part of your personality.

james wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:22 pm
As for the unwarranted and Un requested carachter assignation, I will thank you to practice what you preach.

Declaring that I am obviously in emotional distress is about as personal attack as you can make don’t you think?
You are correct. I apologize for angering you further. I should have tempered my response in a more sensitive manner. I will try to stick to a more logical rebuttal next time. However, I must point out, that I was defending you and the "voice" you present in this forum. I was defending you against the following statement:
kite_hh wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:40 am
..... I find the statement: "You need help.." offensive and uncalled for.
Ironically, you seem to hold the same position your attacker holds against you, against me. I believe this to the most telling indication of your personality as you present it in your writings on this forum. Forgive me, but I must state that there is some logical inconsistency in your thought process on this, specifically with regards to the issue you are complaining about to me.

james wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:22 pm
IF I was and you had just used your cod psychology to out me as emotionally distressed it would likely shatter what emotional stability I was clinging too.

Maybe Let’s keep it about kiting rather than digging through every post that you don’t agree with?
I agree with you that we should keep talking about kiting. But the emotions come through in writing our posts are still very much a "tell tail" indicator of personal bias on the kiting issue at hand. And this "tell tail" indication establishes a base line for credibility/bias of forum participants such as you, especially when you continue to double down.

Let me apologize in advance for any insensitivity that may have come through in my response while clarifying the evidence for my position.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:58 pm

Mat

Why do you do this? I don't understand why you dissect posts the way you do and reply with a myriad of questions all leading discussions off topic? Is it entertaining to you, or do you think it somehow improves things here on the forum? Do you do this for us, the other users, or just yourself? Kiteboarding used to attract a segment that were interesting, adventurous, genuine and helpful. With insights to share and a decent sense of humour to help navigate the sticky points. There was genuine Aloha. I see none of that in your efforts and I can't really tell why you do it.

Pimps I understand, trolls too, even the whinging warranty chasers or occasional outright crazy person is not that hard to have some empathy for, but your brand of beige ad nauseam off topic discussion is something new. Are you subversively trying to detract from the forum or do you actually expect other's to have an interest in your posts?

Personally I find it perfectly emblematic of the slow downward spiral in the quality of discussion round here.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post (total 5):
jonysan (Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:09 pm) • james (Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:14 pm) • iriejohn (Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:04 pm) • justbob (Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:20 am) • or6 (Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:09 pm)
Rating: 15.15%

Return to “Kitesurfing”