Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Time for more stoke stories.

Postby plummet » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:03 am

I've had a couple of good rides lately.

Dailing jumps in on my new enduro 8m. 20-28 knots. Sweeeet wind and sweeeet ramps. By the end of the session I was fully dailed abd got some sweeeeeeet jumps and managed some real nice hover landings. I really starting to enjoy the kite.

Oh yeah.

Then the other day i had a sweet session on the hydrofoil. Rode some real long waves/swell for about a 1km run at a time. Clean swell about shoulder high, perfect wind angle to ride dtl for 1km then tack straight back to the start, rinse and repeat. A very sweet foil wave riding session.

Double oh yeah!!!

Share some of your stoke worthy rides.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Time for more stoke stories.

Postby Toby » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:14 am

That’s the way it should be 👍🏻

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Postby GregK » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:41 pm

Riding my foil board is really starting to click for me - made two foot switches on foil last time I was out, pretty stoked about that.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:23 am

Out today in head high swell and steady 9 meter conditions. Had a great early session with only 2 others out and was dialing in a fun move. Launch off the swell as it lips, big slow backroll ending with a downloop transition onto the same swell. Smoothest landing possible on the downslope. Feels so good. And then the day got better. Got into a pod of spinner dolphins playing in the swell and rode downwind with them for a mile plus. Three of us on the same swell, two to my left, one to my right. I turn left, they go left, I turn right, they go right. At one point I could have put my front foot on the left one he/she was so close. Un-f’n-believable. Best session ever. Stoked for weeks!

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE

Postby plummet » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:32 am

That is awesome!..
Keep the stories coming!

Macster
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Melbourne
Gear: Moses and Ozone

Postby Macster » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:29 pm

I live in a city of 4 million people where the isn't really such a thing as a secret spot anymore when it comes to kiting.

However, when crossing the bay recently on my hydrofoil I hugged the coast, looking out for new areas I hadn't been to and found something interesting.

The spot isn't accessible by land and you have to do about a 5km downwinder to get there from the nearest / safest launch site and it only works on a mid tide but holy crap: 1.5km x 400m, knee deep flat water paradise. Not a single other kiter, beach swimmer, kayak, jetski, fishing line, SUP, learner, dog, kid flying a normal kite. I kited there until it hurt and had an amazing session. Never had to look over my shoulder for others or abandon my tack to avoid a collision just as I was about to pull a trick.

Only problem was getting back. Had to do about 30 facts upwind...

Anyway, stoke located through discovering a new spot and getting away from the crowds in a city where that's almost... impossible.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE

Postby plummet » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:53 pm

That is cool. I have a few spots like that. Well quite a few as I'm typically the line foiler and my town is only 70000

BernieTomic1
Frequent Poster
Gear: XR 5
Neo
Cabrinha Secret weapon
Cabrinha Spade
Epic Droid
F-ONE Trax HRD
Been thanked: 0

Postby BernieTomic1 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:07 pm

Macster wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:29 pm
I live in a city of 4 million people where the isn't really such a thing as a secret spot anymore when it comes to kiting.

However, when crossing the bay recently on my hydrofoil I hugged the coast, looking out for new areas I hadn't been to and found something interesting.

The spot isn't accessible by land and you have to do about a 5km downwinder to get there from the nearest / safest launch site and it only works on a mid tide but holy crap: 1.5km x 400m, knee deep flat water paradise. Not a single other kiter, beach swimmer, kayak, jetski, fishing line, SUP, learner, dog, kid flying a normal kite. I kited there until it hurt and had an amazing session. Never had to look over my shoulder for others or abandon my tack to avoid a collision just as I was about to pull a trick.

Only problem was getting back. Had to do about 30 facts upwind...

Anyway, stoke located through discovering a new spot and getting away from the crowds in a city where that's almost... impossible.
How do you hydrofoil in knee deep water?

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:44 pm

Perhaps with a short mast... or very carefully... :D

My stoke session was yesterday. I was very happy to get out on a warm southerly winds, 16-22 knots, gusty, 72 deg. F, on my 11m xbow. After navigating through the 15 or so kiters and the 7 windsurfers that have to ride next to the beach/launch area, I got as far away as I could from them. No one for several hundred yards. I was in some nice flat water and was able to boost some big air. Later went outside to navigate around to the leeward side of a causeway (no trees/obstruction) for some good flat water speed runs and to boost some good air. After that I came in to get my surfboard, rode for about another 1/2 hour and came in as the wind was dying somewhat and I was getting tired. I'm happy to get out once or twice a week.

Today the wind is higher, more gusty and the air temp is around 50 and dropping. I'm happy to just watch the football playoffs and have a cold beer. Cheers!

Macster
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Melbourne
Gear: Moses and Ozone

Postby Macster » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:51 pm

I cruised past on the foil in deep water further offshore. Came back with my twin tip.

Return to “Kitesurfing”