Why none of the top 50 use Ram Airs?

Forum for kitesurfers
Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Sat Jan 11, 2003 11:52 pm

Hey Royce, here's to ya guy, 35th best kitesurfer in the world after 4 events, fuckin hell, Robby Naish is 30th, shit I take my hat off to ya man, does anyone have the final rankings? Anyway I bettcha you'll do even better this year and if you actually come in before him I'm crackin out the bubbly, would that make ya feel like a million dollars or what, have you ever been up against him in a heat or even beat him, like I've run outta words.
I luv ya
Jo

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mr Jo Macdonald on 2003-01-11 23:56 ]</font>

KiteGlider
Very Frequent Poster

Postby KiteGlider » Sun Jan 12, 2003 2:09 am

these guys will spend hours shaving mm off their fins
I spend hours shaving mm off my fins, so i'm ready! Come on sponcers! Now's your chance!

KG

i fly LEI AB, FS Mastair, and C quad, love'em all..............

KiteGlider
Very Frequent Poster

Postby KiteGlider » Sun Jan 12, 2003 3:14 am

come on, someone's suposed to ask how i shave mm off my fins..........

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 12, 2003 3:16 am

ALL those who have posted in favour of foils have yet to justify their choice.

Without exception, the foil supporters on this forum have used emotive terms like "hate," "precious point that foil kites are shit," and anecdotal references to obscure kitesurfers to justify their fixation with their obsolete equipment. NOT ONE foil user has used non-emotive language or given a credible aerodynamic explanation to support the use of ram airs.

Where science, user feedback, and pro-rider experience clearly support the use of inflatables, the only option for foil supporters is to cry "foul" and resort to emotional arguments.

C'mon ram boys - it's time to accept the weight of aerodymic science and user experience: Foils have had their day; 'tis the era of inflatables.

KiteGlider
Very Frequent Poster

Postby KiteGlider » Sun Jan 12, 2003 3:33 am

On 2003-01-12 03:16, Anonymous wrote:
it's time to accept the weight of aerodymic science
My 16.4 projected AB has 22m2 of surface structure and weight. My Mastair 16 is 16m2, so how do you figure?

How do I shave mm off my fins?
Clue #1, it involves LEIs and foils.........

KG

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 12, 2003 3:39 am

Hey Taina,

I checked the top 96 for the PKRA at http://www.pkra.info/Rankings/Rankings.htm like you suggested.

You said there was a foil there at about 90 something but I couldn't see it. Where was it? Were there any foils in the top 96 at all?

skipfrommichigan
Medium Poster

Postby skipfrommichigan » Sun Jan 12, 2003 3:43 am

Interesting debate.

I ride Naish tubes and F1 Shadows. The tubes seem to be the best option for me for water use. I pull out the foils for downwinders and riding really overpowered for big jumps. I have not used the new 'sheetable' foils.

For mountainboarding and snowboarding (in the cold) - a foil works the best.....for me.

Ride them both - they both have pros and cons.

Skip

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 12, 2003 4:45 am

Similar to other rammies, Kiteglider (KG) limits aerodynamic performance purely to the power output of a kite and its weight.

Because of the wacky bridle system, rams have a projected area very close to actual surface area... but so what. The OVERALL aerodymamic performance of an inflatable is far superior to a ram air. KG's limited view of aerodynamic performance ignores the superior stability of 2003 inflatables, the superior water and beach launching, durability, gust handling, rotor handling, surf handling, boosting, jumping, wind dropout, and all round performance of inflatables.

In terms of weight, square for square, ram airs weigh a bit more than inflatables but in the end, a ram or inflatable that pulls the same amount in the same amount of wind will weigh about the same.

So what if projected is similar to surface area in a ram... if you want an inflatable with a bit more pull, you buy a bigger one... it will still be a LOT easier to handle than a smaller foil.

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Sun Jan 12, 2003 5:52 am

I am a diehard blimp pilot. I for one like the idea I can float in on my kite if need be. My friend was once just about dragged to the bottom with a blade in a lake. Thank goodness for curious onlookers with boats. As for Ted Bautista, I know him as well. I kited with him back in Virginia Beach. I know that Ted currently pimps Psychos to anyone that will listen. I can't tell you about the power, but I DO know that Ted likes to ride WAY overpowered and go big. I also know that he is perhaps the most destructive kiteboarder I've ever known. He has some sort of nickname like "demolition man" or something like that :evil: . If you have a piece of equipment that you don't like and need an excuse to replace, let Ted use it. If he's able to ride consistently on the Psychos, that may be a testament all by itself. I did however see someone on a psycho last week that didn't do very well and ended up walking back after he couldn't do a water relaunch. Oh well. I'll just stay nice and comfortable with my X2. :razz:

SENDIT!

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 12, 2003 5:52 am

I personnally use an EKKO 4.8m
it is awesome, though a bit hard to control in gusty winds.
I've tried several kites, from mosquito to wipi airblast.

I think that if you feel secure, you can use a non relaunchable ram, because it's more radical, powerful, etc.
Now, if you don't feel confident enough, use an inflatable. easier, relaunchable, etc.

Return to “Kitesurfing”