Rocker for Plywood Board

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
Gigi;)
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Rocker for Plywood Board

Postby Gigi;) » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:13 am

Hi,

I've made some wood boards in the past.

IMO You'll get really good results with okume plywood. Epoxy 3 layers (3 times 3 or 4mm) together with epoxy. You can do cut-outs in middle sheet to reduce weight. You need to put reinforcements (glass woven will do IMO not good to play with carbon on 1st boards since it is too expensive) otherwise will break near the heels.

Make a woody rocker before, lay glued sheets on it and put a lot of weight on. make a good distribution of them to seal the edges good.

Tip 1: draw board outline on top sheet and laminate equally squared! sheets together, nail sheets together and then put it on the table and weight it. When it is dry work the outline

Tip 2: usually board will bend slighly back from designed rocker so keep that in mind

Tip 3: If you want to have fins do the cut outs where you wanted them to be and seal the cutout with mixture of epoxy and microbaloons.

Tip 3: If you can work with 2K components and mix only the amount needed. Buy higher quality products. When you will switch to 1K component then is no returning back to 2K component on next layer.

I'd advise to make 1st boards easy and simple as it goes, only then experiment on "exotic" materials like abs, 'carbon etc ;)

M2C

Here are few pics from my days when I make woody boards too... seems that I should put old kite-stuff.org back on...
Attachments
Gigi155TT_01.jpg
Gigi135TT_07.jpg
Gigi135TT_04.jpg
Gigi135TT_04.jpg (83.03 KiB) Viewed 2591 times
Gigi135TT_02.jpg
Gigi135TT_02.jpg (75.21 KiB) Viewed 2591 times

zob
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grado Pineta (IT), Fossalon (IT)
Style: Freeride, strapless hooked-in
Gear: FS S3 19m2 DLX, S3 CE 12m2 DLX & S4 8m2 DLX
Homemade Surf & Snow Boards
MBS Pro90

Postby zob » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:59 am

Gigi;) wrote:... seems that I should put old kite-stuff.org back on...
I am clicking the link at least once per week to see if it is back on, but it has to be more than one year now, down. :(

duartemv
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby duartemv » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:50 am

Pablo, when you say "Mix and wet the uderside of the upper piece and wet the lower", what exactly do you mean? With water or resin? And for what purpose? To soften the wood so it assumes the rocker/concave easier?

I'm portuguese and still find it a bit difficult to understand when you simplify the methods description...

peterheirman
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 2002
Been thanked: 0

Postby peterheirman » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:05 pm

Have a rocker table.
Use 4 layers of 1/8 plywood
Bottom and deck same size.
In between:
a) 36-37 inch x 10 inch wide
b) 31 x 4 inch wide
Use PU glue (Poly Urethane one component) quality D4 (=waterproof)
Wet all internal surfaces of plywood with glue and stick them together in rocker table.
Then bury the board with bricks: they need to stand up vertically and at 3 layers high.

If you want a concave: just put a strip of 1/8 plywood 2 or 3 inches wide and 35 inch long

Leave the board under the bricks for 36 (summer) to 48 hours (winter)

Simple

bay surfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Dam Beach
Favorite Beaches: Lake Michigan Beaches, OBX
Gear: Airush, Switch, Pansh, Kites, LF boards, Home Brewed Foils and boards

Postby bay surfer » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:04 pm

Making a composite wood board with rocker is so simple, people over think. a rocker table can be a piece of ply wood with strip of wood at both ends, want concave too put a strip of wood down the center.
Use Drywall screws and screw the board down the center and edges, take the screws out after epoxy cures, fill holes with epoxy and floor.
one note only use AC ply or Marine ply, some luan underlayment has watersoluble glue.
Spar Poly Why Why your not leaving the board out 24/7, spit coat of fast dry then 7 more coats done in 2 days, Epoxy heavy and cracks

Return to “Gear Builders”