Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How can I repair a waveboard that was run-over by a car?

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
kite_hh
Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha, North, own
Brand Affiliation: None

How can I repair a waveboard that was run-over by a car?

Postby kite_hh » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:00 pm

My Kiteboard, a 2017 Slingshot Tyrant was run over by a car. :(

This has led to some serious damages that I would like to fix. I have some experience with epoxy and polyester work, but the "rugged EPS core, reinforced glass, carbon integration, high-end bamboo laminate finish" on the Tyrant is new terrain for me.

Damage report is as follows:
All fins have broken off flush with the deck in the fin boxes. I managed to get them out (with a screw) and learnt, that the fin boxes are fine. Phew!

However, the tail has been crushed. So it desperately needs fixing. I attached some pictures.

Also there is a 20cm crack on the rail on that probably resulted from the car rolling off the board.

Everything else seems fine.

My biggest question is how should I go about fixing the tail.

A) Do I rip out huge chunks and try to remodel it?
B) Do I try to leave as much of the old stuff in place as possible and fill the gaps with epoxy?
C) Something else. Will the sandwich construction complicate matters?

Any advice will help. Thanks!

PS: I am very willing to provide more pictures if that helps.
Attachments
374731-01.jpeg
Tail 1
374731-01.jpeg (17.12 KiB) Viewed 3148 times
DSC_7419-01.jpeg
Tail 2
36715-01.jpeg
Tail 3
_20181104_164610.JPG
Tyrant 2017

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Re: How can I repair a waveboard that was run-over by a car?

Postby norcom » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:52 pm

Check this resource for good ideas:
https://boardlady.com/repairmenu.htm

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:13 pm

cut out the damage, glue a block of foam in place ( probably polystyrene). shape it and fair it.. glass with decent overlap (70mm)

it is probably polystyrene so use epoxy, polyester resin will melt polystyrene.

as for the bamboo.. i wouldnt worry about that too much..

id almost be tempted to glue a block of higher density PU foam onto it if available for more compressive strength, but not a huge drama.. plenty of polystrene boards without sandwhich construction ( bamboo/ wood or pvcfoam skin)

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?
Has thanked: 0

Postby NorCalNomad » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:52 am

^ that right there.

But I wouldn't worry too much about compression strength since it's behind the tail pad.

kite_hh
Frequent Poster

Postby kite_hh » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:18 am

To get this right, you are suggesting to cut away the area with the damage completely? I marked this in the picture below with a green line.

Two things worry me a little bit:
1. What does the hole in the black area do? (see purple arrow on picture)
2. The mount for the leash is within the affected area. (red arrow) I don't really have a question it's just that I am worried I will mess up building a new mount from scratch. Is it hard to do?

How many layers of epoxy and glass do you suggest? Which strength of glass do you suggest? Is 200g/m² ok? What would be ideal?

Thanks a lot!
Attachments
Screenshot_20181105-090550-01.jpeg

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:51 am

i really am not sure, the only thing icould guess was a gortex valve like a sup has to stop a hot board deleming when it hits cold water... sometimes a problem with polystyrene ... dont know of this neing a big probem with low volume surfboards.. a mountvl for a device?? hmm. contact them and ask them first... or look it up

then report back

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:04 pm

leash plugs are not difficult to install.. that is if you need one at all.. a km out cross off reef riding i would use one but on/ side shore riding small medium wave i would never bother unless some stupid rips as i dont like the board to smack back into my head.

handy
Medium Poster
Gear: wave
Brand Affiliation: ahcustoms.ch

Postby handy » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:22 pm

as it's only the tail area, the easiest way for the repair is to inject some resin in the cracks, put a piece of plywood on the top and bottom and press it. When resin is cured, sand down +- half of the old glas, then glass over the whole tail with 2 layers of 6oz fiber glas . Btw, the black insert is a 2hole footstrap insert.

kite_hh
Frequent Poster

Postby kite_hh » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:59 pm

longwhitecloud wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:51 am
contact them and ask them first... or look it up
I wrote them. Let's see what they reply.
longwhitecloud wrote: leash plugs are not difficult to install.. that is if you need one at all
This is my big days, strong wind, huge waves board. :D I can imagine a leash coming in handy. :P Also I'd rather have the plug and not need it than need and not have it. If it is not difficult I might just add it.
handy wrote: as it's only the tail area, the easiest way for the repair is to inject some resin in the cracks, put a piece of plywood on the top and bottom and press it. When resin is cured, sand down +- half of the old glas, then glass over the whole tail with 2 layers of 6oz fiber glas . Btw, the black insert is a 2hole footstrap insert.
Interesting! What kind of resin do you suggest? I have some expoxy resin 4300 and expoxy hardener 390
(Mixes 100/55, open time 40 min, cures in 24h). Would that work?

Also, when you write "put a piece of plywood on the top", how do I keep the resin from flowing everywhere but staying where I want it? Should I built s/th similar to a frame to keep it from flowing "away"?

What do you think of removing the top layer of paint before starting to fill up with resin? It seems pretty cracked and I have the impression the colliding cracks have interlinked unleveled keeping the rest of the board from getting into the original position.

I have yet to apply any force on the broken parts.
Last edited by kite_hh on Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

handy
Medium Poster
Gear: wave
Brand Affiliation: ahcustoms.ch

Postby handy » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:15 pm

that resin will work fine, perfect would be a slightly foaming resin. The plywood is only to keep the bottom nicely leveled. just tape the area where you don't want to have any resin, and put some plastic between the board and the plywood. resin that comes out of the cracks and the paint is no problem as you have to sand down the whole area before reglasing it anyway.

Return to “Gear Builders”