Favorite Beaches: Hatteras Island, Montauk NY
Style: Twin tips, Naish Mutant
Gear: Ozone, Liquid force, Nobile, Naish
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Why the long depower rope??

Postby AndrewJMcGee » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:34 pm

I totaly flamed out and right inside of west marine I started rigging. I didnt really look at the orbit blocks card. I ripped the thing right off, and tried to work with it. I did not see any white rope. I went right over to the shelf and ripped a harkin block out. That seemed better to me, only cause the orbit pulley was missing pieces. I paid for everything of course. I didnt want to drive back.

What do you thing I should use? It was not a cheap pulley.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:53 pm

AndrewJMcGee wrote:I totaly flamed out and right inside of west marine I started rigging. I didnt really look at the orbit blocks card. I ripped the thing right off, and tried to work with it. I did not see any white rope. I went right over to the shelf and ripped a harkin block out. That seemed better to me, only cause the orbit pulley was missing pieces. I paid for everything of course. I didnt want to drive back.

What do you thing I should use? It was not a cheap pulley.
The pulley has to be rigged through the hole that the wheel rotates round for it to achieve its maximum working load. If you google orbit pulley, you can see several examples including the way ronstan recommend.
Here is one way to do it.
http://www.extremekites.com.au/content/ ... pulley.jpg

This photo shows the rope Ronstan supplied with my series 20 pulleys, You just loop it through the centre of the wheel 2 or 3 times like this to create a loop.
Attachments
RF25109%20with%20rope.jpg

MattW
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha
Style: smooth
Gear: directional/straps
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby MattW » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:51 am

As far as blocks go, I've always used Harken blocks on racing sailboats and now kite bars.

Easy to clean out sand and mud from the block bearings with a quick dunk and spin of the sheave.

Return to “Kitesurfing”