Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Belmont Shores
Style: Newbie
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Good board for beginners

Postby dlai » Tue May 01, 2012 10:28 pm

Hi, I'm a beginner that just learned to get up from a water start. I want to buy my first set of equipment in order to get started and practicing what I just learned. My instructor said he had a used kite and harness I can buy off him cheap, so now all I need to a board. He recommended a light windboard, as winds around here are between 10 to 20 knots in the afternoon.

What are some good boards you guys can recommend and places where I can buy them. I'm currently residing in the Long Beach area in California, USA.

Thanks,
Dave

sfpete
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: San Francisco Bay area
Style: stayin' alive

Re: Good board for beginners

Postby sfpete » Tue May 01, 2012 11:29 pm

Get a cheap, used on on craigslist until you learn enough to know what you want.

acctx
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: lake travis

Postby acctx » Wed May 02, 2012 12:44 am

dlai wrote:Hi, I'm a beginner that just learned to get up from a water start. I want to buy my first set of equipment in order to get started and practicing what I just learned. My instructor said he had a used kite and harness I can buy off him cheap, so now all I need to a board. He recommended a light windboard, as winds around here are between 10 to 20 knots in the afternoon.

What are some good boards you guys can recommend and places where I can buy them. I'm currently residing in the Long Beach area in California, USA.

Thanks,
Dave
definitely agree to buy used. Boards are really tough but depreciate pretty well. New you might need to pay 700-800, used you can get a 1 or 2 year old board for around $300. People sail plywood as a light wind board (flat and big)

for really light winds look for something a bit flat front to back, square corners and at least 145x40 or so.

How much do you weigh.

dlai
Rare Poster

Postby dlai » Wed May 02, 2012 4:19 pm

I'm 6'0, 190 lbs.

I saw a Liquid Force Edge selling for $450, is this a decent price to play for such a board? I'm thinking about the 146cm one.

---------------------
EDGE KITEBOARD
From the first time you get on a board with a kite to doing air transitions, you are guaranteed good times with the Edge. The Edge uses an asymmetrical bottom contour pushed slightly closer to the heel side edge to make it easy to find your sweet spot for upwind mastery. Combine this with a rounded toe side edge and hang-up in the chop is eliminated. This is a confidence-building board that will take you beyond mowing the lawn and push you toward hard carves and lofty airs.
Edge Board highlights:
• Medium rocker
• Stiff flex
• Off-set concave bottom contour
• Thermo-molded construction
• Composite core, sublimated graphics.

Board Sizes:
• 136cm x 42.5cm
• 146cm x 45cm

Miltsface
Frequent Poster

Postby Miltsface » Wed May 02, 2012 9:56 pm

I think $450 is more than you need to spend for a 1st board, since you don't really know what characteristics you will like at this point. you should be able to spend closer to $300. look here: http://www.ikitesurf.com/classifieds.iws?db=kiteboards
Figure you can offer $50 less than what its listed for.

You didn't tell us your weight, but for 10-20 knot wind, if you're anywhere in the 180lb range, look for something 135-140 long x 41-43 wide. the high end of that range will be easier to learn on, the low end is a board that will last you longer as you progress.

edit: there's a 2008 underground flx38 listed near the bottom of the 1st page. I used to own that board, but lost it in the water. great board and the seller is near you (so no shipping cost) if its still available.

kitesurfari
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: Southern California Kiteshop

Postby kitesurfari » Wed May 02, 2012 11:57 pm

Not sure where you saw the Liquid Force Edge for sale, but a brand new 2012 Edge 146 is only retail $339. The 146 size is good for you though. A 138 might be a bit small to start with, depending on your board skills.

Kitesufari
www.kitesurfari.com

dlai
Rare Poster

Postby dlai » Thu May 03, 2012 2:52 pm

I ended up buying the board. Anyways, thanks for the advice guys, I'll know where to look next time before I impulse buy.

Return to “Kitesurfing”