Style: Old School
Gear: Naish Board 130cm
Slingshot Fuel 11
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Training Airstyle tricks on an old bar

Postby Sinthoras1 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:54 pm

Wakestyler train their handlepasses on old bars. Has anyone ever tried something similar fo airstyle tricks?
I was thinking about hanging an old bar with chicken loop on the branch of a tree. Than I will climb on a stool, put an old board on, hook in and kick ithe stool away. After that I can train whatever trick I want. Once I'm tired I will ask a friend to get me down or if I train alone I might just open my quick release.
Might that work or is it just a stupid idea?

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Re: Training Airstyle tricks on an old bar

Postby FLandOBX » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:51 pm

Will you post a video?? :o

Never thought of doing this myself, but I have thought of doing it to several acquaintances. :evil:

Sorry, I'm done.

Seems like it could work, maybe to practice some board-off style tricks? Only trouble you might have is too much swinging around as you move. You can practice board-offs in a chair for some stability. But neither practice technique precisely mimics the pull of a moving kite.

If you try it, let us know how it works.

Sinthoras1
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Panama Beach
Favorite Beaches: Panama Beach
El Gouna
Hurgharda
Slingshot Fuel 11

Postby Sinthoras1 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:26 am

Yes I will post a video if it works. It will take at least 3 weeks though since I'm still on (kite) vacation. With all the swinging around you will at least get used to stopping techniques for the rotation tricks.
Board offs are definitely the moves you can mimic best but I guess all kinds of rotations should be fine too.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:14 am

I think it is ok for basics, but then doing it in the air while flying is a different story.
I regular have big problems flipping the board on land...much easier in the air.

When I have new ideas, I always try on the water...because there I need to land it ;-)

Sinthoras1
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Panama Beach
Favorite Beaches: Panama Beach
El Gouna
Hurgharda
Slingshot Fuel 11

Postby Sinthoras1 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:04 pm

If i was living in Brasil with perfect conditions I wouldn't bother about this method either ;) But if you are living in a place where you mght have a month without wind I feel it's really important to do at least something.
Of course you can't never simulate it 100% but it's definitely better than lying on the couch.

lindseym
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa
Favorite Beaches: Islamorada
Style: airstyle, oldschool, freeride
Gear: Rebel 15, 12, 9
Brand Affiliation: Duotone

Postby lindseym » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:00 pm

Depending on what you are specifically wanting to accomplish this might reduce some time bring you closer to a trick. Getting geeky here for a second...whenever considering these simulated activities the most important thing to keep in mind is the concept of "fidelity"; that is, the degree to which the simulated tasks mirrors the actual task. A suspended harness could potentially enable you to refine and strengthen your board off board off grabs, board off kick flips, single grabs, and such. That's probably about it. Anything beyond this may be dangerous. Working on a king dead man for example could be lethal if something went wrong. As mentioned in a previous post, you could probably accomplish this just as easily sitting in a chair and it would be far safer.

The issue with any of these types of simulated tasks is that there is no way to replace moving through the air while having to control the kite and executing the trick at the same time. This is why I laugh when I see people do any type of trampoline training. Sure, it may get you used to going inverted but controlling the kite while being inverted is most important.

Something to consider as an alternative. Instead of training for specific tricks, you would probably be better off spending your time doing physical training specifically for kiteboarding to keep your muscles conditioned and prevent injury. This will probably give you far more return for your time and keep you kiting longer. I see too many people not kite for weeks or even months and then go out for a 2 to 3 hour session and then wonder why they are in pain the next day (i'm more guilty of this than anyone :lol: ). So, I started using resistance bands tied that are connected to a bar. Using a strap I tie the bands to a pole (or use a door mount). I can work back, shoulders, core, quads and replicate all the stances used when riding (upwind, blind, toeside, etc). And the best part is that its all very simple and compact so I can take this stuff anywhere. This has been a true game changer for me with regard to activity that contributes to kiting.
Good luck and be safe.

Return to “Airstyle”