Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: WindFoil - KiteFoil

Postby airsail » Tue May 15, 2018 9:47 am

I agree with everything Peter Frank has said, and my windfoil is gathering dust too. I'll add that if you only windsurfed it is a great option for lighter wind, racing and to get foiling but the kitefoils are just more fun and easier to use.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Tue May 15, 2018 12:18 pm

Between kitefoiling and windfoiling - kitewing foiling. Flash Austin pioneering again.

Ivan and Nathan Van Vuuren on the Signature foil with kitewings.
https://www.facebook.com/SignatureFoils ... 5950970169

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Tue May 15, 2018 3:23 pm

the kitewing/wind weapon approach is very interesting with foiling.
kitewing on water was something I wanted to explore years ago, but on correspondence with others who have done it, it required lots of wind, and the kitewings very often broke their wingtips when crashed. A better construction or modification for water seemed not to hard, but requiring 25 knots or so to begin riding has no appeal in my area, so I never pursued it.
The hydrofoil's dramatic reduction in the power required though, makes it seem interesting again, especially if solid breakable spars and battens can be avoided. Slingshot has done this trick, too, it seems:
SSkitewing.jpg

Eltreato
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Acadia, 3rd Ave.
Favorite Beaches: Manzanita
Gear: old junk

Postby Eltreato » Tue May 15, 2018 5:54 pm

3Inlets, Peter,

Thanks for the follow-ups. I agree with all the downsides and inefficiencies of windfoiling vs. kiting. I'm interested in pursuing it as my beach gets effectively closed down in the summer due to swimmers, and the remaining kiteable beach only works at low tides due to a wind shadow. Quite often in the summer we get marginal thermals that would be great for kitefoiling if it were allowed, and good for windfoiling. I know my short kitefoil fuselage will make it a challenge, but I curious to see what it will be like.

Thanks!

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue May 15, 2018 7:04 pm

Eltreato wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 5:54 pm
3Inlets, Peter,

Thanks for the follow-ups. I agree with all the downsides and inefficiencies of windfoiling vs. kiting. I'm interested in pursuing it as my beach gets effectively closed down in the summer due to swimmers, and the remaining kiteable beach only works at low tides due to a wind shadow. Quite often in the summer we get marginal thermals that would be great for kitefoiling if it were allowed, and good for windfoiling. I know my short kitefoil fuselage will make it a challenge, but I curious to see what it will be like.

Thanks!

That makes sense :D

One thing I found was, that the mast/wing has to be quite a lot forward, in order to have a pleasant trim.

Otherwise, and many of the first windfoils were like that I believe, you have to push a lot down with your rear foot in the strap and lean the rig way back which is unpleasant and no good for very long.

Particularly when you want to jibe, as you should be able to stand in front of the rear strap with sail forward now, in okay balance here when carving - this will be almost impossible if you already need loads of rear weight when in the strap to keep flying.
Some windfoils have the rear wing trimmed to give a lot of lift down and are oversized compared to what is needed, to compensate for the "too rearward" front wing even with a forward pointing mast from the box and down.

But your kitefoil probably got a more balanced trim, meaning your wing should be a tad more forward than above windfoils.

The rig pushes down at the mastbase, meaning the wing should be even more forward for balance than if a kitefoilboard, although it seems the difference is not huge, but distinct and noticeable.

My findings at least :wink:

8) Peter
Last edited by Peter_Frank on Tue May 15, 2018 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eltreato
Frequent Poster

Postby Eltreato » Tue May 15, 2018 7:08 pm

Thanks Peter, I noticed in your pics you did a really good job making sure your foil is very far forwards. While mine isn't quite that far forwards it's far enough to give it a shot, and failing that I can likely get a new fuselage machined that will let me get it even further forwards.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue May 15, 2018 7:15 pm

You have some room to play with, as you can move the mastbase in the track, and also remove the rear strap for starters to find the trim.

Only problem is, that even if an experienced kitefoiler, you will feel more unsecure at first without the rear strap as you need more power.
The rear strap is excellent for pumping up into foiling, without being too powered for starters.

It is somewhat new muscle memory you need to learn - but you got the advantage you know everything about how sensitive it will be, how to avoid ventilation, and to be careful not getting torn to leeward.
Eventhough the last WILL happen, trust me, some crashes to leeward into the rig/sail - no worries just be prepared to get your feet out :naughty:

8) Peter

Eltreato
Frequent Poster

Postby Eltreato » Tue May 15, 2018 7:26 pm

Great advice, thanks Peter! Fortunately my sail already has some packing tape repairs from the previous owner's harness hook. I'm fully expecting to do the same, its' bad enough with regular windsurfing.

Return to “Hydrofoil”