Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Which inflatable do you find best for Hydro foiloing

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Which inflatable do you find best for Hydro foiloing

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:39 pm

Flag53 wrote:Can anyone offer some more advice on this subject as at the moment my quiver is a 5/7/9/12 Vegas .
I'm new to foiling but not Kiting and for now I'm just looking at replacing the 12m for something more suitable for light winds on the foil.
The clouds look interesting but they are not available in the UK.
I like the look of the Ozone Reo but am not sure wether the 10 or 12m would be best.
I'm 86kg.

Many thanks
But you are using your 12m2 Vegas for freestyle, or ?

If so it would be better to keep it, and get a light 12m2 for foiling.

Either the North Mono, Naish Trip, the Storm Voyager 2, the LF Solo, or the Zeeko Notus Air :thumb:

All excellent kites for hydrofoil light wind, but very different - so you have to choose whether you want low end grunt or range and depower - you can not have both :wink:

Assume several of these brands are available for you ?

8) Peter
Last edited by Peter_Frank on Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pikovsg
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Boston, Cape Cod, Outer Banks
Favorite Beaches: Cape Cod, Tarifa, Maui, Cabarete, Guadeloupe, Pleasure Bay.
Any session with a BRM Cloud and a hydrofoil.
Style: Soul, Freestyle, Race
Gear: -
Duotone Dice SLS, BRM Clouds, Ozone R1V2
Lift 150, Moses 637
Triton Custom V3 Bat 37", Temavento Sync
Carved Imperator

Postby pikovsg » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:58 pm

C.5 Clouds are by faaaaaaaaaaaaaaar the best match for freeride/freestyle foiling kite.

That feeling of weightlessness is present with a lot of kites, but it feels like you're on the moon when riding Clouds. It's so much better than anything I've tried I sold all my kites except the Rebels, for boosting.

The other cool thing is the 3.5 Cloud's range is ginormous - I was the only one out AND foiling, AND riding waves last month, when it was blowing 40 on Cape Cod. All others kiters folded their LEI and just hunkered on the shore or left. But for me, I could just depower and feel nice and cozy. I'm guessing you may even be able to push the 3.5 to upper 45-55 wind mile range if there are people on the beach to help you land in case shit hits the fan.

Flag53
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rhosneigr
Favorite Beaches: Rhosneigr

Cayo guiermo
Style: Mixed
Gear: Mixed
Has thanked: 0

Postby Flag53 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:00 am

Cheers guys.
Yes Peter I'd like to keep the smaller Vegas for TT Freestyle . Still lovin that ;-)

North are very popular around here so maybe the Mono .

The Naish Trip also looks interesting although I haven't seen one on the water

Unfortunately Clouds aren't available in the Uk.

Thanks guys

leepasty
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: porthleven, west cornwall, uk
Favorite Beaches: gnaraloo,curral jouel, One Eye, Haakgat,
porthleven, Gwithian
Style: Waves
Gear: Duotone Pro Wam, Pro Session and Neos
Brand Affiliation: sponsored by Duotone & Ion

Postby leepasty » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:01 am

Mono is perfect for foiling. Unless you want super light wind go with 9m.
Good from 8 knts and has much higher top end than 12.
12 will only get you going 1 knt sooner as long as you have good foil technique.
My Mono quiver will be for sale soon if you are looking at 2nd hand.
Cheers

pitbulldoug
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Fortaleza,Cumbuco,Uruau,CE Brasil Ventura Co.California
Style: Wave and foil
Gear: Naish Kites/Wings,ASD surfboards Fortaleza CE Brasil,Kalama supfoil, MHL kitefoil,GoFoil surffoils,Scrivy Surfboards CA.Axis foils,Camet winging boards,Starboard/Airush Wings

Postby pitbulldoug » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:34 pm

pikovsg wrote:C.5 Clouds are by faaaaaaaaaaaaaaar the best match for freeride/freestyle foiling kite.

That feeling of weightlessness is present with a lot of kites, but it feels like you're on the moon when riding Clouds. It's so much better than anything I've tried I sold all my kites except the Rebels, for boosting.

The other cool thing is the 3.5 Cloud's range is ginormous - I was the only one out AND foiling, AND riding waves last month, when it was blowing 40 on Cape Cod. All others kiters folded their LEI and just hunkered on the shore or left. But for me, I could just depower and feel nice and cozy. I'm guessing you may even be able to push the 3.5 to upper 45-55 wind mile range if there are people on the beach to help you land in case shit hits the fan.
Yep agree the C.5 clouds are excellent for foiling have the 8.5 and 5.5. Naish trips are right up there as well :thumb:

Flag53
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rhosneigr
Favorite Beaches: Rhosneigr

Cayo guiermo
Style: Mixed
Gear: Mixed

Postby Flag53 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:05 pm

Cheers Guys :-)

ulx
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter-Ording, Germany
Favorite Beaches: Klitmøller (Denmark) and South Africa
Style: Strapless Surf- and Foilboard
Gear: Slingshot SST 8,7,6,5
Firewire Vader
Ketos Foil with Kakoo board 108x44

Postby ulx » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:50 pm

Peter_Frank wrote: ...Have also tried a 12m2 Storm Voyager 2 (no strut) that performed very well, more power but not the same depower ...
I got myself one and was quite disappointed. I could get hardly any manoeuvres done. Even in winds that would have been sufficient for my 9m Wavekite. It just took the kite so long until it started pulling again after a change of direction. I tried longer lines as well. 25 or 28 m. I think both, not sure. For now I am ok with my 9m Wavekite as the biggest but am keen on trying other light wind kites when I can grab one. It would have to be good for freestyling. Going in a straight line is not for me.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:14 pm

ulx wrote:
Peter_Frank wrote: ...Have also tried a 12m2 Storm Voyager 2 (no strut) that performed very well, more power but not the same depower ...
I got myself one and was quite disappointed. I could get hardly any manoeuvres done. Even in winds that would have been sufficient for my 9m Wavekite. It just took the kite so long until it started pulling again after a change of direction. I tried longer lines as well. 25 or 28 m. I think both, not sure. For now I am ok with my 9m Wavekite as the biggest but am keen on trying other light wind kites when I can grab one. It would have to be good for freestyling. Going in a straight line is not for me.
Yes, I dont know - but I know that with a 12m2 kite everything becomes slow, whereas in 9m2 winds everything is easy and joyful :thumb:

You havent tried other light 12m2 kites you write - so be warned that they might all feel slow and dull compared to a 9 - OR the Voyager is not good... :wink:

I go out with my 12m2 one strut if 7-9 knots, but when 9-10 I ALWAYS take my 9m2 wavekite instead as much more fun than a fully powered 12m2 :rollgrin:

8) PF

abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos (prasonisi), Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Style: freeride, very light winds
Gear: Peak4, Airush Ultra, hydrofoil Moses 633

Postby abel » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:59 pm

As a beginner I stick to the 12 Solo 29 m lines up to 12 knots.
Today I was lucky and finally got 12-14 knots :D , so following recommendations in the forum I took a smaller kite, 10 m Switchblade 24 m lines.
At the beginning it was a disaster, it was like stating all over again :-?
It took me about an hour to recoup and reach the low level 8) that I had with the 12.

Should I better keep the 12 on the 12-14 knots as long as I'm a beginner????

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:31 pm

abel wrote:As a beginner I stick to the 12 Solo 29 m lines up to 12 knots.
Today I was lucky and finally got 12-14 knots :D , so following recommendations in the forum I took a smaller kite, 10 m Switchblade 24 m lines.
At the beginning it was a disaster, it was like stating all over again :-?
It took me about an hour to recoup and reach the low level 8) that I had with the 12.

Should I better keep the 12 on the 12-14 knots as long as I'm a beginner????
Nope, as you are absolutely spot on - changing kite size WILL make you start all over again particularly in the learning phase as everything sits fragile in muscle memory so changing even the slightest thing will make everything worse :(

BUT, it is the road to glory and being able to change things easier - so there is no way around it, you have to take these lousy sessions with smaller kites - and one day you can not understand why it was so difficult when learning and you love these "small kite" sessions much more as you have full freedom to do things now :naughty:

8) PF

Return to “Hydrofoil”