Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ontario
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer, ALPINEFOIL
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Hydrofoil Big Air

Postby fogmeister » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:44 am

well always being on a smaller kite than you normally would be on would account for less hang.....the increased height doesnt seem to change much......me being on a kite 3 to 5 square meters bigger often out hangs the foilboards jumps although they could be 10 feet higher.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:10 am

fogmeister wrote:the guys in my neck of the woods jump like crazy on foilboards.......in 10 knots around 30 feet 15 knots into the 40s and in 20+ knots 50 feet plus........it def seems to be the biggest jumper in under 30 knots!!!!
Yeah there are 2 guys in particular who are out for 7 hours at a time, covering 200+ km and 400+ km in height in a single session.

Andokite
Medium Poster
Gear: TT, surfboard, raceboard, foilboard
Been thanked: 0

Postby Andokite » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:47 am

Recently at Martha's Vineyard Cup Nico Parlier won the Big Air contest on his Mike's Lab foil and board / Ozone R1 V2 11m on 15m lines.

He scored 59.7 feet = 18,1 meters in 18-20 knots of wind.

Enough said.

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:06 am

V impressive, but the thought of landing from those heights with a hydrofoil strapped to my feet, makes me feel nervous !

Even on a light wind session on a Mutant, with reasonable hangtime (6.4s & 10.3m), I sometimes land with 5G's - I am worried that I would quickly destroy my foil or body !?

Any tips/hints on what to do with the board for landing from height would be appreciated

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:48 am

Always try and pearl in the foil, so the wing enters the water nose first and not slap down with the wings horizontal to the water.

lezo
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 80kgs
Local Beach: I have local friends at many beaches now!
Favorite Beaches: Mostly riding these days North Fuerte beaches or wavespots of the French Atlantic/North coast.
Gear: Custom wavesurf board with RRD Religions, custom foilkite with Peak5s, Ozone Edges for boosting.

Postby lezo » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:49 am

So, is there any special technique to jump high with a foil and a foil kite, as compared to standard TT big air?

Lokihel
Frequent Poster
Style: Yes
Gear: North, Shinn, Zeeko foil

Postby Lokihel » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:55 am

When we're talking about those big jumps, how many do you land properly?
I see on the video he doesn't exactly ride away smoothly from many of the jumps.

Can anyone land smoothly, or it is simply too dangerous to try to land 'hot' like you would with a twin-tip.
I would rather not imagine the carnage if you someone get caught on your foil after crashing with too much speed.

Andokite
Medium Poster
Gear: TT, surfboard, raceboard, foilboard

Postby Andokite » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:09 pm

Lokihel wrote:When we're talking about those big jumps, how many do you land properly?
I see on the video he doesn't exactly ride away smoothly from many of the jumps.

Can anyone land smoothly, or it is simply too dangerous to try to land 'hot' like you would with a twin-tip.
I would rather not imagine the carnage if you someone get caught on your foil after crashing with too much speed.

If you have the proper technique and keep your foil kite overhead at landing time, you will dingle dangle like a feather and your touch down will be so gentle you may keep foiling with no "board touch down" at all. There's many videos showing this. Just take a look.

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:14 pm

Andokite wrote:If you have the proper technique and keep your foil kite overhead at landing time, you will dingle dangle like a feather and your touch down will be so gentle you may keep foiling with no "board touch down" at all. There's many videos showing this. Just take a look.
? I though the foil would have to be redirected as with a LEI to avoid overflying when overhead, also if you're using an LEI, you will still run the risk of a heavy landing from anything over 10m :-?

Return to “Hydrofoil”