Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Which 9 pump for HF freeride/freestyle ??

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
antonell0
Rare Poster
Style: wave, foil
Gear: Hydrofoil, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Which 9 pump for HF freeride/freestyle ??

Postby antonell0 » Tue May 09, 2017 3:04 pm

As in the subject, I'm trying to understand which 9 pump is best for freeride/freestyle (e.g. Greg Drexler riding style )
BRM Cloud is not an option here in Europe! :angryfire:
Antonello

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Which 9 pump for HF freeride/freestyle ??

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue May 09, 2017 4:00 pm

antonell0 wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 3:04 pm
As in the subject, I'm trying to understand which 9 pump is best for freeride/freestyle (e.g. Greg Drexler riding style )
BRM Cloud is not an option here in Europe! :angryfire:
Antonello

I dont think one can answer this question, what is "best"...

Have you done a search on the forum for strutless and one strut kites ?

Some of the options out there, here 4 strutless and 4 onestrut to choose from :

Storm Voyager
BM Cloud (not available in europe)
Gong Strutless
Naish Trip

Zeeko Notus Air
Airush Ultra
LF Solo
North Mono

8) PF

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pedro Marcos » Tue May 09, 2017 6:28 pm

Not a fan of the brand, but the Ocean Rodeo FLITE 8m its a quite good kite for 12+ knots. Lots of performance.

borist
Very Frequent Poster

Postby borist » Tue May 09, 2017 7:05 pm

I would not get carried away with a notion that particular kite is the answer. I believe the choice of kites is very personal. What works for some, may not work for me. I for one am not sold on BRM Cloud yet although only had a chance to try larger sizes of C2 model. I do like Greg's design philosophy of simplicity and purpose. Perhaps if I get to try his latest creation I will change my mind.
I also tried Airush Ultra and LF Solo from one strut field and Trip from 0 struts. I was actually hoping to like one of those as they float so well and pack very small. Still I prefer quick turning 3 strut with a little bit higher AR kite like Flite. Partly because how they react to a gust.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Tue May 09, 2017 7:21 pm

You could have a lot of fun free riding with a Cabrinha Velocity. Super light construction, tons of depower, nice stable performance. I can foil in 12-30kts with my 9m...

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Tue May 09, 2017 8:47 pm

I'm doing fine as a beginner on my old 2010 RRD Obsession 9m with 5 struts. Generally I'm going out in 15-18 knots on it, so there's plenty of wind to fly it. In less I'm on my 12 North Mono. And that kite is good in light wind down in 12 knots or so. I'm not going out in less yet.

I'm looking to replace the RRD due to soft parts like valves and strut air links looking eroded and some splits developing. I'm leaning towards a 3 strut surf style kite like the Neo or Reo because I'll fly the kite on surfboard too.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Tue May 09, 2017 9:52 pm

I agree with borist. The same kite might be perfect for some and terrible for others, at no fault of the kite's.

Lets face it, racing and tooling around like Greg Drexler are as different as any two kinds of kiteboarding.

One of the main traits of the true strutless kites is their ability to luff to an instant stop. Makes for a complete shut off once you get the feel for it. Even one center strut stops that trait so there is definitely a difference between the single and no strut segment.

The no strut kites also have the smallest sweet spot of all types of LEI. They can be so awesome in their perfect power band, and then lose so much of the magic when it picks up by two knots. Conversely, a three of five strut kite will feel a little slower and heavier but will at least be comfortable for a pretty big range. The secret to liking the clouds is to never be out overpowered.

Basically I don't think strutless kites make for a good minimalist quiver. You have to get a few of them to cover the range well, or have other kites for variable winds and know when to use them.

I have both extreme ends of the spectrum. Strutless kites and super rigid 5 strut kites. I would think that most people would be happy right in the middle for 9m and down.... namely a relatively light 3 strut kite. Just be sure never to demo a strutless kite in nice steady wind....

tripman
Medium Poster
Local Beach: North Sea, Channel, Brittany
Style: Surfkiting + HF + wing
Gear: Noremana 5'2 95L
Gong Hipe pro 5'1
BRM W2 4m, 5.5m
Foil Allure 1300 + 1000
KETOS 1200 + stab Karver S
Pocket KETOS 107
Board Riding Maui Cloud E 2.8, E 3.7, E 4.8, E 6.2, D 8, D 10.4
Stallion V1 TDZ 5'2''

Postby tripman » Wed May 10, 2017 3:54 pm

when talking about freeriding HF, my feeling is that strutless are the real deal. I learned with a C1 8m with 27m lines in about 15knts and that was great. Only had to focus on the foil, a Spotz 2013 with the associated convertible board. 2 years after, I still use Clouds (C.5) for strapless HF and surfing. Those kites are great as they just sit there no prob even when the wind drops, they drift perfectly and are very reactive. To be fair, I tried once the C2 12m of a friend and did not like it. Quickly overpowered, sitting deep in the window so my quiver is made of 3.5, 5.5 and 8.5, but with a Ketos foil + Easy wing, I can foil from 8knts to... more than needed. I usually rig my 8.5 when other HF are using 10-12m but I can use it until 18-20knts. I put up my 5.5 with 15knts but I can use it in lower wind speed and up until 25knts++ when I would use my 3.5m. Fo my surfboard, I need about 5-6knts more to be ok with the same kites. I've been using Clouds for the last 3 years and don't plan to go back to struts kites. For me, when kitesurfing, I want to feel as a boardrider, not a kiterider, so the kite is only a way to pull me around with no hassle, I want to forget it, and focus on the waves, the swell, etc. And the Clouds make it real.

faklord
Frequent Poster

Postby faklord » Wed May 10, 2017 9:14 pm

Hi tripman. How are you getting your Clouds when Greg will only ship to US?

tswierkocki
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: Hydrofoil, Surf, Freeriding
Gear: 3m, 4m, 5m, 8m Flysurfer Peak 4 kites
7m, 10m Cabrinha Apollo kites
Cloud F28 surf foil
107cm Kanaha pocket board for kite foiling
4’8” Stretch Trow surfboard
133 Axis Vanguard twintip

Postby tswierkocki » Wed May 10, 2017 9:42 pm

I recently purchased a new quiver of Clouds and I'm selling my C2 Clouds. 4m, 5m, 7m and 12m are still available. Please see my ads on ikitesurf if anyone is interested. I would be happy to ship them overseas if they are paid for with PayPal.

http://c.ikitesurf.com/classifieds

Return to “Hydrofoil”