Re: Levitaz Vs. Ghost Whisperer

Postby windmaker » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:58 am

Kitemanmuc wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:05 pm
windmaker wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:22 pm
Kitemanmuc wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:24 pm
I prefer Moses of Levitaz, better price, better foil in my honest opinion, but you are looking at the two best in the industry.
The 2 best in the industry????
Absolutely. Sure there are faster foils, but if you look at price/quality and the ability to mix and match wings and set ups. They are the best. Not doubting Banga, Mike’s is faster. But they are one trick ponies, customer service is impossible and expensive. Delta foils are great. But again, it’s a race foil and very expensive. Spotz is great but only a race foil. That’s my rational. I don’t think you beat Moses on price/quality and Moses and Levitaz on product range or customer service. Had a guy at the beach crack his mast and 7 days later he had a new one. No questions asked. We had the same happen to a guy with an Spotz and, well, that was a year ago and they still have not replied. The size of the operation at Moses and Levitaz makes for a better product.

SparD
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Almanarre
Gear: Foil kites : Ozone R1V3
Tube kites : Ocean Rodeo Flite
Hydrofoil : Chubanga

Postby SparD » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:28 am

Kitemanmuc wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:38 am
Speaking of Enata, Parlier is their newest team rider!
What ? where is this coming from ?

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:49 am

jeffrydamico wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:31 pm
Looking to purchase a new Foil for the 2018 season. Something for Speed, Stability, Durability & light wind use. I realize there is a compromise between all these attributes. But I'd like to hear anyones input on these 2 foils.
I am not a Pro Racer, although I like to be faster then my friends, & ride aggressively. I've ridden the 2017 Levitaz Aspect, and really like the speed. It did feel a little pitch sensitive, but It may have been the foil placement on my friends setup. I have never ridden the Slingshot Ghost Whisperer. I was told by multiple friends to consider this foil.

I tend to Foil in less then 20knots. But really like the challenge of Super Light Wind Foiling. I'm often foiling in 5-12knot winds. I do jump big sometimes too, so thats why I'd I need something well built. Please tell me your thoughts or review of either of these Foils..
Hi Jeff,
as there is till now nobody who has ridden both as me, but discussion is going a bit out of track:
There are many other very good brands as Ketos, Zeeko, etc. for sure, but if it is about freeracing, I think your first choice with Levitaz and Slingshot, which is an last years Moses, was not that bad.
As both have the strongest orientation to freeracing while having biggest selection of freerace wings and different and also longer struts. And they are both bigger brands and people have good experience with their after service works.
On the other hand for last point a in land company could be good, but as Slingshot is just a re seller of Moses, there is maybe just Delta Hydrofoil to name again. But can't tell nothing, just like his nice, professional and informativ performance in his videos, but don't know how much choices of freerace foils he has and so on.

All about the difference between Moses and Levitaz I can tell without having used the race foils from Moses, just the Freeride once:
I think Moses is more interesting for having lighter constructions and a lower price. While maybe Levitaz Racefoils are even a bit less draggy due to thin fuselage so good for light wind, but also heavier and more expensive. But the last model struts from about the last 6 month are extremely reinforced and should be close to imbreakable. So maybe also a bit about your weight.

You can also write Gunnar from https://www.boardroom-fuerte.com/coaching even if he just sells Moses and no Levitaz, he should know both good enough to tell you the difference first hand.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:13 pm

Horst Sergio wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:49 am
maybe just Delta Hydrofoil to name again. But can't tell nothing, just like his nice, professional and informativ performance in his videos, but don't know how much choices of freerace foils he has and so on.
Not to sound like a broken record, but George makes a freerace setup that's cheaper than the race foil: http://www.deltahydrofoil.com/kite.html

Either way, if you're buying any of the brands mentioned in this thread you're probably going to enjoy and appreciate your purchase. Having ridden a couple different foils, you'll get used to the one you get and unless you're using an objective measure of performance like racing against people or something, it'll be unlikely you'll find yourself dissatisfied.

Plus there's the incongruity between saying "better" or "different." Having owned a Sword2, a Delta Hydrofoil, ridden a Spotz2 and a Spotz3, and seeing almost all the others in person or knowing people who rode them, unless you're talking about race results, "better" is in the eye of the beholder. I mean for heaven's sake, there's a guy on these forums who rides without a stabilizer because to him, that's "better."

I'd think along the lines of price, company reputation, durability of construction techniques, and whether I've spoken with someone who owns one and can tell me about anything unique, like, "oh it's great but you need to shim it 1mm in this direction to get it to ride properly."

I'd look at the equipment listings in peoples' signatures on here and if someone lists that they own a brand you're considering I'd shoot them a PM before making any final decisions. I'd also consider that when someone from eastern Europe makes a recommendation on here or someone who lives in Cape Town, their opinion about customer service and access to parts might be skewed. I have found access to George via email and phone to be great, no small part of my decision to go with a Delta was that the owner/founder/designer made himself available to his customers by phone and email AND attends most of the major regattas on the eastern seaboard every year as a sponsor and competitor. Plus he and his mom cut out all the carbon fiber patterns when he builds his custom foils, which I get a kick out of.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:31 pm

SparD wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:28 am
Kitemanmuc wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:38 am
Speaking of Enata, Parlier is their newest team rider!
What ? where is this coming from ?
https://media.giphy.com/media/l0Iyau7Qc ... /giphy.gif

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby TomW » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:23 pm

I ride moses 2016 fluente 1+ season and am still intermediate rider. I've used 550/548 and 330/325 wings and recently bought the 590 wing but not used it yet. Good set up would be Vorace 101 GT with 558 with 330 stab, and get 590 front wing as Slower wing or get the Vorace 101 R with competition 637 wing and 420 stab and get other slower wing ( 558/550/590) with 330 stab.
Another guy here I kite with has the levitaz cruiser and element and it's an excellent setup too. Finish and quality feeling is top end- it's BMW level. Moses is solid kit, but cosmetics are not always perfect. It's gonna get scratched anyway, and doesn't effect performance. There's a price difference that I think is directly related to that final mirror finish...
Levitaz has an outstanding range of boards too. Moses more limited.

Im in Europe and the availability and customer service is good. I'm sure Moses dealers in USA are helpful, you can see everything on their site in English. Same goes for levitaz.

Ketos is a French company, and Peter here on the Hf forum rides them and are apparently highly regarded and well made. I would have bought one, but their website is not very understandable, even after their redesign of the site.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:36 pm

windmaker wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:54 am
Kitemanmuc wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:05 pm
windmaker wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:22 pm

The 2 best in the industry????
Absolutely. Sure there are faster foils, but if you look at price/quality and the ability to mix and match wings and set ups. They are the best. Not doubting Banga, Mike’s is faster. But they are one trick ponies, customer service is impossible and expensive. Delta foils are great. But again, it’s a race foil and very expensive. Spotz is great but only a race foil. That’s my rational. I don’t think you beat Moses on price/quality and Moses and Levitaz on product range or customer service. Had a guy at the beach crack his mast and 7 days later he had a new one. No questions asked. We had the same happen to a guy with an Spotz and, well, that was a year ago and they still have not replied. The size of the operation at Moses and Levitaz makes for a better product.
I have been foiling since 2005 and have seen or tried a good share of foils available on the market. Ketos foils are as versatile as any of the brands you mentioned, same for Zeeko (both pioneers), and F-One who has the biggest range of all, with wings ranging from speed to SUP or windsurf on the same mast, carbon or aluminium! There are certainly others.
Most foil brands have top after sales service. Without it you don't survive. Spotz that you mentioned and Carafino are good examples.
And that is the key point. If the company isn't big enough with enough volume to handle replacing issues and breakage then they will soon be gone. When I broke a mast, Moses shipped next day from stock. If that had been a hand laid up mom and pop shop that had spent most of the last week building a few, then having to cough up a replacement is simply not an option. That and the proliferation of chinese options there will be no room for anything but the highly sought after custom or specialized at a wildly high price or the volume players. Just like the surfboard market went.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby davesails7 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:57 pm

Fast replacement of broken masts is nice, but shouldn't the masts not break? :-?

Talking with people who have ridden both, either company makes good foils, but you'll have to narrow it down. Both Levitaz and Slingshot/Moses offer several different wings and masts with very different riding characteristics.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:40 pm

davesails7 wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:57 pm
Fast replacement of broken masts is nice, but shouldn't the masts not break? :-?

Talking with people who have ridden both, either company makes good foils, but you'll have to narrow it down. Both Levitaz and Slingshot/Moses offer several different wings and masts with very different riding characteristics.
Well, yes in a perfect world....but lets face it, 1m under water at high speeds near shore and shit is bound to happen....and one could argue that you are totally on your own if you break one. In Moses case they helped me out.

I don't care what brand, stuff is breaking around here with some frequency. The stuff guys invested $10k in and down to the most basic aluminum. What happens in these situations is all over the map.

Spotz: ha ha
Alpine: nope, or sorry, we will make tougher versions at your expense (big expense)
Moses: warranty (multiple times)
Ghost Whisperer/SS: nope
Hoverglide/SS: nope
Taroaa: nope
Nobile: nope

Some of the base aluminum rigs feel broken even when they aren't. But you won't feel that until you ride a carbon fiber setup.

jeffrydamico
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lake McConaughy
Favorite Beaches: Lake McConaughy
South Padre
La Ventana
Prea, Brazil
Style: Free Style/Big Air, Foiling, Surf
Gear: Naish!
Brand Affiliation: Naish
Been thanked: 0

Postby jeffrydamico » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:29 pm

Kitemanmuc wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:24 pm
If you are going Ghost Whisperer, get a Moses. Ghost Whisperer is last years Moses Vorace gear rebranded for Slingshot.
I prefer Moses of Levitaz, better price, better foil in my honest opinion, but you are looking at the two best in the industry. Comes down to personal preference. If you want to hear honest feedback, Kite Hydrofoil Miami carries both brands and has tested them both extensively, you could give them a call or shoot them an email.
Thanks Kitemanmuc!
Agreed, I just figured that out about Moses before I read your post. I also just left Kite Hydrofoil Miami a message, Great idea.. Now I'm leaning toward the Moses Vorace 101 Gt. Have you ridden it? I know there is a lot of choices in wing sizes. Please let me know your thoughts. I could use some good opinions. I also noticed the fuselage on the new 2018 moses looks faster. Levitaz 2018 stuff won't be available until April/May..

Return to “Hydrofoil”