Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Crossing a lull by pumping? Material & How to?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Crossing a lull by pumping? Material & How to?

Postby Horst Sergio » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:14 pm

My question is less about crossing a long term lull, but more how to reach a part of the shore line which is hidden behind a small wood / high rock so that you come from let's say 15 knts and have to cross the last 100 m through a region with turbulent 0-5 knts.

This is a common problem at our mountain lakes if you're not kiting at the few regular spots, but starting anywhere by swimming out to start far outside in the wind. The question is: Is it possible to come back with a dry kite by hitting one of the few landing places with less trees, but nearly without wind?

In fact I have already done something similar one time with my old Levitaz Aspect foil, but as having no experience with pumping on a sup foil, can't say how effective my pumping was or if it was most the speed, momentum and rest pull from the kite which carried me to shore.
As ohters I have seen the videos from Kay Lenny pumping in between ten waves 30 sec pumping 30 sec riding for ten minutes, but how about combination flying a kite?

So to all experienced SUP - pumping foilers as Gunnar:

1. What material is favaroable for pumping? For sure big slow wings, but what else?

2. Is pumping while kiting a good way to learn or what alternatives?

3. Do you think pumping is suitable to face the named conditions or is a race foil charged with kinetic energy more effective?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Crossing a lull by pumping? Material & How to?

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:12 pm

An interesting question indeed.

Can not answer on the pumping thing...

But regarding #3:
3. Do you think pumping is suitable to face the named conditions or is a race foil charged with kinetic energy more effective?

I think it depends on the course, as if it is offshore and you have to go upwind, the pumping way is maybe the only chance (if possible, dont know, and doubt it a bit if upwind)...

But if you can ride halfwind or even a tad downwind, a racefoil (not too small wing and racekite) will be able to keep foiling the longest IMO, when you come from wind and get to gusty lulls of almost nothing, as the speed and apparent wind works for both averaging/smoothing the horrible wind quality, as well as staying foiling.

Technically you are not "charged" with kinetic energy for very long (not even close to 100 meter), but you extract so much more energy from the same wind, once up foiling - so racefoil would be my best bet on how to ride through these conditions :thumb:
Another advantage is you have lesser risk of dropping on the water, where you are toast and in for a swim no matter if using the big wing pumping method or the speedy racefoil method.

Because it would be easier to ride fast through "crappy almost nothing wind" on a low course, instead of pumping I would think...

Curious to what others got to say :D

8) PF

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:22 pm

Interesting question. Seems like it could make sense, to generate enough speed to gain apparent wind and make that 100m.

There was a video this year of someone at La Ventana dropping their kite in light wind, then pumping around it to get the lines taut and relaunching. Not exactly the same, but in the ballpark maybe.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:37 pm

This video of Jacob Olivier on a Mike's Lab race foil last year has him gliding/pumping over 100m:

https://www.iksurfmag.com/kitesurfing-n ... e-pumping/

He has serious talent though, so your results may vary :lol: I know I've never had much luck pumping on my race foil. I seem to get best results from just gliding and keeping angle of attack low when trying to get going when underpowered.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:39 pm

He has serious talent
to go with the serious motorboat towing him up to 30mph or so to start. But definitely knows how to pump a foil. :thumb:

I think regarding the original question, the more speed you start with the farther you can go when you lose power, fairly obvious.
I recently sailed a lagoon spot with gusty wind and a point projecting from the weather shore that killed the wind for 100 yards, with glassy water there, but choppy everywhere else. Probably 14-24 knots elsewhere but 10-12 there. Or less, it was glassy!
I was on a 9m kite and a wide surfboard with big fins, but not a hydrofoil (shallow spot).
The only way to make it across was to heat it up aiming for the base of the point and then soak past the tip of the point, then come up a little bit and bleed speed over the 100 yards of no wind.
If you timed it with a gust, it worked out well, otherwise good technique would yield slow planing out of the dead zone, mistakes = dead in the water.
Foiling did not apply at this spot, but I think a similar approach to the course would be good with a foil.
Re-imagining that scenario with deep water and a foil, I would see the next move as feeling the foil start to stall as you bleed off speed, then bearing of again and slowly raising the kite as you pump to get the most distance you can, while the kite gradually sank with slackening lines. I would bet on a big foil kite to make it farthest, but if you did it with an LEI just right, you might catch the kite as you came off the foil, if you didn't make it through the lull to find wind.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:32 pm

1) Surf Foils with a mast over 70cm are great for pumping. depending on your energy, you can pump it for a good 300m.

2) Yes. A good way to practice pumping is to crash your kite at the edge of the wind window whilst riding and then try to pump a circle around it. Do not unhook. That way you do not risk loosing the kite

3) Pumping a surf foil will get you farther and its easier to pump. Also it will get you thought the lulls better anyways

--
Gunnar

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:48 pm

Well i am no expert on the foil, some might me called an improver, I have just had my first day on my Moses Onda in 12 mph, around 10knts.with my Ozone Reo 12mtr.
The onda is a complete wave foil for a sup, but I used it today on my Moses T60 with the standard short 60cm mast, and I tried the pumping thing as you are asking about to cover 100 yards,
when the wind died to silly low wind every few minutes,I gave it a go, I did not believe I would be able to pump the board as I thought it would be a skill that would take time, but No! it was very easy, in fact the speed I generated was at times too fast for the kite, or rather I forgot about the kite and was leaving it behind and had to slow down to regain control of the kite, simply amazing, I was thinking this is another sport only limited by your leg power, heading upind was easy.
the effort required was easy for the first 15 seconds but then just like the stair master at the gym my legs started to burn as I tried to go quite fast, but it was so amazing I just could not stop myself going for it.
I had an hours drive to get home and guess what?
yep, as I was getting out of the car my legs nearly gave way, my calves are cramping up along with thigh muscles, brilliant, so much fun.
out again tomorrow, but I will try out my longer 101 mast.
I went for the Moses Onda after seeing gunner use the same in his latest video here--https://youtu.be/I4XUBfao4Ek
Last edited by Foil on Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:46 pm

its Onda :) welcome in club!

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:03 pm

tomtom wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:46 pm
its Onda :) welcome in club!
thanks,
onda or onga, silly name, but great kit! :thumb:

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:58 am

I have similar conditions on occasions. Ie wind shadow close to shore in cross off conditions.Windy would typically be higher mayby 20-28 lulling to 8-10.

I blast as fast as i can into the lull zone. Take the as much apparent wind as possible. Then i aim to ride a swell or wave in. I can use the wave energy to add a few knots of apparent to the kite. Then when i'n in he real dead zone its loop like crazy. while trying to ride the wave to keep kite aparent up. Most of the time i am successful.

Return to “Hydrofoil”