Does it matter to have a heavy board for foiling

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
snowycarter
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Does it matter to have a heavy board for foiling

Postby snowycarter » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:20 am

Hi all, i am just about to get started in foiling world and super excited.

I have some old boards that i have used for either strapped or surfing and trying to see what would be good to put track inserts and use as my first foiling board.

I have a 5' 1" (155 cm) small directional strapped board that I dont use but is a heavy glassed board and weighs like 4 kilo before adding the foil......it is a small bomb proof board.

Is a heavy board like this a disadvantage to learning or riding in general on the foilboard? The other option would be to use a small surfboard that may weigh about 1 kilo less.

Thanks for any advice....

Foil is a Liquid Force Foil Fish,..... I weigh about 68 kg's

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Does it matter to have a heavy board for foiling

Postby tomtom » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:10 am

YES!

1. You must manipulate board - taking in out to water - any foil setup is more difficult to carry manipulate than normal board - so everything count here
2. It hits you harder
3. Swing weight while riding

But if your foil is very heavy you feel all this proportionaly less.

BTW my dedicated 130cm foil pocket board weight 2.3 kg

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave & hydrofoil
Gear: Moses hydrofoils, Ozone kites, Dynabar sliding hook + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, AXIS, HB ....
Brand Affiliation: www.famousfrank.com

Postby Frank Rosin » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:36 am

Board weight makes a big difference, but I would not say anything specific is better or worse, it is more complex than this.
In the end everyone needs to figure it out individually or have good advice. Only saying lighter is better does not do it really, there is quite a bit more to it.

Cheers,
Frank
www.famousfrank.com

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jumptheshark » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:25 pm

Agreed, it always makes a difference, but for some forms of foiling weight its a lot less detrimental to the fun than others forms of kiteboarding. Strapless, jumpless is still pretty fun without a carbon set up.

I learned on a fairly heavy converted surfboard I had kicking around and it had both good and bad. The length and nose rocker helped a lot for those early frequent touch downs. The bad was that the inertia of the foil/board with that pointy rocker meant the board Would often follow you in a scary way on crashes. It also bounced up into my lines a couple times. My current set up is not very light, but the pocket style board tends to ditch nicely when crashing. Does not follow you at all or bounce up the same way. Some of that is learned technique, but a lot is the board shape. I recommend you dull the nose and wear a helmet if you use the surfboard. All in all not a bad way to get into foiling without shelling out for a board your likely to upgrade.

f2020
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Phuket
Favorite Beaches: Phuket
Style: Kitefoil Performance and freeride
Gear: Taaroa Sword RS Ti 2018 UHM
Taaroa Sword RS 2017
Taaroa Sword2 Race Wing 2016
Ozone R1V2
Cabrinha Switchblades
RRD Passion MK9
Brand Affiliation: NONE
Been thanked: 0

Postby f2020 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:47 pm

If the board is heavier, it will hit you with more power in a bad crash situation. So it's not good.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:48 pm

The less weight in the nose of the board, the easier it will be to feel what the foil is doing in the water while you are trying to master carves and jibes. The more weight and momentum swinging out there in front of you, the harder it will be.
your brain “feels” the combination of the board/foil center of gravity and foil center of lift, and several related forces, as if it were occurring at a single point, “X” below the board, somewhere between the board cg and the foil wing. This is the point around which it feels like the board wants to rotate. The farther apart these points are, the more the point “X” will move around.
I’m sure it could be described more accurately in physics or engineering terms.
Anyway, if you think about this it becomes intuitive why shorter and lighter foilboards are often preferred, and why a light foil is nice, but a heavy one can do ok too, especially if its weight is mainly in the mast and front wing. You want the foil/board to feel centered and not ready to suddenly develop momentum in an unchosen direction!

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby grigorib » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:45 pm

IN general a heavy board would be disatvantage. A large board with a good nose rocker might be easier to learn on.
4kg is not as bad, you're fine. Except carrying aluminum foil and a heavy board is not fun.

3InletsWindsports
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shallow Inlet, Corner Inlet, Andersons inlet.
Favorite Beaches: Shallow Inlet, Point Danger.
Style: freeride
Gear: Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: Zeeko importer in Australia

Postby 3InletsWindsports » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:03 am

For just starting and getting through the first stages of porpoises, a bit longer with nose rocker will help and if it’s a converted surf board then weight will be ok.
But when you get to wanting to turn then Swing weight will become your focus.

Return to “Hydrofoil”