Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The stagnant foiler.

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Re: The stagnant foiler.

Postby Mossy 757 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:01 pm

plummet wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:46 am
I just want to ride and cant be arsed spending whole sessions on practicing/crashing.
So you're saying you'd rather just 'hoon along' than practice foot switches???

:rollgrin: :lol: :lol: :P :P :P :P

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby plummet » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:48 pm

Mossy 757 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:01 pm
plummet wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:46 am
I just want to ride and cant be arsed spending whole sessions on practicing/crashing.
So you're saying you'd rather just 'hoon along' than practice foot switches???

:rollgrin: :lol: :lol: :P :P :P :P
Yep. Oh ill practice a foot switch every time i need to turn.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:02 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:43 pm
You need to try some other wings. Others have suggested as much, but they'r talking at you, not with you. You always come back with "I prefer ....." when in reality, your experience of value is on one set up. Two years ago that might have sufficed for an experienced opinion, but so much has evolved. There are bigger wings that are drastically different from one another. We have big fat profile wings from the surf and sup side, but we also have big low aspect wings that are thin and fast in profile. Add sleek production fuse and mast and your talking about foils with more than double the wing area you ride, but on foils with likely less than half the overall drag.

What you think will take years to learn, could easily take a session or two on a number of current foils. Experiencing that type of progression and change in overall foil character could change your perspective drastically.

Even if you want to do it on the cheap, there are highly affordable mast and fuse options out there that would cut your drag and allow you to DIY wings to your hearts content at very low cost.

https://www.clearwaterfoils.com/collect ... f-foil-kit

There is no reason to become stagnant as a foiler when foil development for everyone who is not a racer is just starting to get interesting.
Your right i havent ridden other many other wings. I've only ridden a Zeeko Spitfire. I actually preferred my foil to that. I felt that mine was more stable was faster and went better upwind.

I should make/try more wings and fuse options, But right now I have other things to focus my money and or time on than foiling. So what I have is what I have got.
Also im not too fussed with the footswitch as long as i can get around. I'm way more interested in the ride. At that i'm happy with my performance and the foils performance.

The next kite thing I need to make is a boosting, better upwind mutant. But thats also on the back burner until i make some mountain bike, bike racks.... So much to do... so little time.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:33 pm

Some changes are an instant upgrade that you know the moment you start using it. Others, take a bit of time to get to know. Foiling has both. I bet it takes a bit of time to dialled into a spitfire set up. There is a learning curve between any non two similar types of gear... say LEI to foil kite.

A couple years ago I found it hard just to switch to another foil.... any other foil than what I was used to. Just getting up and going was tricky.

That alloy mast and fuse in the link I sent you is a cheap ass set up that would do any DIY wing builder justice.

matanshapira
Medium Poster

Postby matanshapira » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:56 pm

I was able to learn flying foot swtich in 2 sessions(80 percent success) thanks to the huge LF Impulse. So it's worth considering such wing

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:59 am

Not sure how old your are but in my experience, foils dont take too kindly to older riders....

The balance, coordination, reflexes and timing skills needed are much greater than TT....

That said, once you get it down its no problem...

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:37 am

I will make some more wings at some point. But not at the moment. I wont buy the clear water mast. I dont want a nasty heavy aluminium mast when i have a nice light floating carbon/bamboo one. its real easy to make more wings. It just takes time. Time i'm spending on other things right now.

An easy way for me to learn the foiling jybe would be to crank my aoa back up to stable foil levels. But I just prefer super loose and figure the foiling jybe will come in time. I'm way more interested in blazing at speed with sweet carves on an off wave/swell faces. If theres any of that to be had on any given day i'll take that over the splash and learn.

Yep i'm an old bastard. Well 47.

There is only one other foiler at my local and he uses is big fat surf foils. Our riding windows hardly ever intersect. But i'll try and have a go on his big fatty one day.

MaximumAC
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay, Assateague MD
Style: Foil; Freestyle
Gear: Flysurfer Soul and Sonics; SAB 679/800 and Mikes Lab Bullet 5

Postby MaximumAC » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:45 pm

Real weird how long this topic has gone on with people offering suggestions and you just replying all the reasons why you don't really want to progress any faster. Sounds like you're content as is, which is all good. You do you.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:06 pm

MaximumAC wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:45 pm
Real weird how long this topic has gone on with people offering suggestions and you just replying all the reasons why you don't really want to progress any faster. Sounds like you're content as is, which is all good. You do you.
Most of the responses are buy new kit. I'm just not in a position for new kit right now. It's not going to happen. It is what it is. I'll progress with the kit I have.

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:00 pm

I’m with you. No need for anything new if you are enjoying what you are doing. It seems odd to get a different foil just so one can learn a particular maneuver when one is liking their current foil.

Return to “Hydrofoil”