Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: The stagnant foiler.

Postby TomW » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:35 pm

Simple: muscle memory decreases with age. Google it.

Example: 5 years ago i decided to learn to do simple 50-50 truck grind on the coping of a 1m quarter pipe at our local indoor skatepark. I´d been a re-born skater since 48 yrs old. , 53years old at the time, so i wasnt so bad actually. I enlisted Henke: 35+ pro level skateboard friend to coach me. I spent 12 months practicing once a week- a solid 30-40 min per session on that trick. About 12 months in i was getting confident at it and had some style. a kid of like 22 showed up and tagged on to the coaching session- it took him 15 min to nail it.

K-Roy
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Balaton
Taiba, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco to Jeri
Style: strapless SB & strapless FB
Gear: Fone Bandit X, XII, Breeze V2. and Diablo V.1
FW Vader, OR Duke, Mitu Pro, Fone foil
Brand Affiliation: Fone brand Ambassador

Postby K-Roy » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:10 pm

plummet wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:31 am
I will think about a bigger wing. But i like to go fastish. So reducing the speed for a big slow wing just so i can practice transitions might not be fun for me.
I was thinking the same, before I got the 1000cm2 front wing (Fone) and have to say I was pleasantly suprised to go 45 kmh on it (measured with Locosys GW-60)
Its not the biggest wing around, but its a lot more forgiving then my 600cm2...

cheers

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:56 am

My take on this, and most things: Too much thinking. Not enough kiting.

Get out there and do it. You'll get better at the things you can already do. Maybe learn some new things. Maybe nail something you've been trying for ages. Either way you've had some exercise. Maybe had some fun. Exposed yourself to the chance of having an adventure.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:44 am

OzBungy wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:56 am
My take on this, and most things: Too much thinking. Not enough kiting.

Get out there and do it. You'll get better at the things you can already do. Maybe learn some new things. Maybe nail something you've been trying for ages. Either way you've had some exercise. Maybe had some fun. Exposed yourself to the chance of having an adventure
Well you are right about 1 thing. Not enough kiting.
I do expose myself to adventure. I do it often and relentlessly. Often taking myself well.beyond safe distances on the foil. Problem there is that I'm Nigel no mates on the foil. Foiling has to compete for my time with mutant riding, buggying and mountain biking.i have a crew of dudes on the bike and in the buggy to advanture with. I'm in the mountains every week with my bike. Several times a year I'm blasting sand dunes with my buggy mates. Awesome times.
Foiling is pretty sedentary by comparison to mutant and a far cry from the effort expended biking. As far as exercise is concerned it's my second worst activity.

I guess if I had a crew of foiling buddies the fun level would be higher.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:41 am

I kite and foil solo, or with my kiting mate. Most of my adventures are solo. I never go more than 500m offshore. I am very risk averse.

My most recent foiling adventure is being bumped off the foil by a couple of dolphins and ending up in the water surrounded by 5-6 dolphins. Lots of encounters with waterbirds. Lots of other close encounters with dolphins (mostly surfing). Being up close with a mother whale and her calf. Being metres away from a southern right whale.

The adventures don't come because I'm adventurous. They happen purely because of time on water. You get out in the environment and stuff happens. The only virtue I would claim is that I am very solid on the fundamental riding techniques. I don't have to worry about being able to ride where I want, when I want or how I want. That also comes from time on the water.

There's a fairly common thread on the forums recently. "I'm not foiling because there's something wrong with foiling." It's absolutely fine to make choices to do other things. It's not fine to invent spurious excuses to justify that choice.

junebug
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 195 lbs
Style: Freeride Twintip, Strapless Foil
Gear: Rebels (6m, 8m, 11m, 13m)
Nobile NHP
Boxers (3.5m, 4m, 5m, 7m, 10m, 12m) (flat water)
Peak4s (3m, 4m, 5m, 6m) (waves)
Lift 150 v1 Surf front / 38 back (flat water)
Lift 170 v1 Surf front / 26 back (waves)

Postby junebug » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:40 pm

I have been foiling for just over 2 years now. Other than my wife and my job, it is still pretty much all I think about. During the late-spring/summer/early-fall months, I get to go foiling probably about 4 days a week on average. I definitely have not stagnated. I’m still working on getting tacks with a footswitch dialed in, which has been challenging because I prefer flying way underpowered.

Never say never, but I can’t see myself getting bored with foiling in the near future.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:09 pm

There are people who are deeply passionate about long distance kayaking who never learn anything more advanced than how to dip their paddle into the water and propel themselves forward.

Sounds like the stagnation is in your mind, not in foiling.

If you want to someday beat Nico around the race course, sell your mountain bike. If you want to appreciate the opportunities you do get to foil more, give yourself that permission.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:18 pm

I stagnate every winter while the ice is in. This is the first year where I'll foil into the colder weather. Last year I put the foil away when the hooded wetsuit came out.

Worried that it would be a big regression, but found it a bit like riding a bike. The basics of getting up and going never leave you, takes a few minutes to find your feet, but its fun enough just feeling the float again. Was back onto the learning curve in pretty short order.

If your home brew foil is the only one you have every tried, you should likely try something commercial. Preferably with a bigger wing so you can assess what all the fuss is about. Up to you, but without doing that, your not really in much position to gripe.

Sandras
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Fort Walton Beach, FL
Favorite Beaches: Okaloosa Island, FL
Gear: .
Has thanked: 0

Postby Sandras » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:36 pm

Okkiteboarder wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:49 am
This short video shows the Moses 633 Wing and how friendly it is for a newbie on transitions.
https://youtu.be/6KWdJP5VBBE
Nice Video! :thumb:

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:22 am

Mossy 757 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:09 pm
There are people who are deeply passionate about long distance kayaking who never learn anything more advanced than how to dip their paddle into the water and propel themselves forward.

Sounds like the stagnation is in your mind, not in foiling.

If you want to someday beat Nico around the race course, sell your mountain bike. If you want to appreciate the opportunities you do get to foil more, give yourself that permission.
I certainly wont be selling the bike! I can ride my bike at any time of the day or night, rain, hail, snow, wind, no wind. I get in many rides when kiting isnt an option. Like night time and early morning when theres no wind.
I have been out on the foil twice in the last week! Whoot. Its enjoyable when i'm out, but the gloss has certainly worn off. I wont be foresaking other activities for foiling if conditions are better for other activities. IE if a sweet wave riding day i'll bust the mutant out and ride waves, If its a boosting day i'll do that, if conditions are ripe for foiling then thats what ill do. I guess i'll consign myself to no progression or very slow progression given the number of times i do the activity.

Return to “Hydrofoil”