Wazza Foil
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hams
Style: Kite surfing strapless. Foil, SUP and ka
Gear: lots
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: The stagnant foiler.

Postby Wazza Foil » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:56 am

Plummet you seem to have made your choice on what does it for you with the underlying requirement is full on only.
Others get their kick at all different levels.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:31 am

Haha. Yeah that's me. I'm at my happiest when it's full on. So I will always take the full on option if it's available.

I will explore the bigger wing idea though. Maybe not a full fat sup wing. But a higher aspect larger wing that will be good at speed but lenc it's self the a bit more stability

Wazza Foil
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hams
Style: Kite surfing strapless. Foil, SUP and ka
Gear: lots

Postby Wazza Foil » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:35 am

Plummet the Zeeko Carver wing maybe worth a try.
I bought one direct about a yr ago and did my first on the fly Jybe.
Zeeko claim it's good to 26kn but I am sure you would push it past that.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:52 am

My current wing is loosely based on the Moses Fluente, at around 560cm2. The Zeeko Freeride wing is probably closest to what I have.

A 750 cm2 high aspect front wing might be interesting.
Attachments
19621150_1540004906073881_3461867615274677259_o.jpg

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:01 am

Today was apparently 8 knots average with gusts of 12 knots. I had an excellent time foiling around...but then, my foil has nearly 4 times the area of yours :D

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:11 pm

plummet wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:52 am
My current wing is loosely based on the Moses Fluente, at around 560cm2. The Zeeko Freeride wing is probably closest to what I have.

A 750 cm2 high aspect front wing might be interesting.

Wings are always interesting, true :thumb:

So you seek a wing to be able to ride in marginal wind, and good upwind angles?

As if not, and for waves or maneuvers, I would choose a 750 cm2 (or bigger) low aspect, so it can hang on the wave and turn really well/narrow, instead of a high aspect.

I would say high aspect really big wings got quite limited use, they are not as fast and turn slow, but for ultimate marginal winds they are top so nothing beats these here.
Got one myself eventhough only around 800 cm2 but ok high AR, I use a lot, but I also try to ride relatively often in 6 to 7 knots with 12-13 m2 LEI kites.

Still usually change to either a lower AR wing when around 8 knots and up, or to a higher AR smaller wing if I want to go fast and high angles.

8) Peter

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:24 pm

To be honest.No I dont want to ride 6-7 knots... or sub 10 knots. Bigger faster waves riding at speed is interesting to me. Slow maneuverable wings that can't handle fast waves I am not interested in. I'd prefer to be riding a head high plus wave at speed. Below that size the waves are too close to the sub surface rocks for my liking and I dont want to risk smashing the foil. I im looking to ride the swell or larger waves deeper out to sea.

I also don't want slow and stable. I prefer fast and maneuverable with light front foor pressure. As such i've backed the aoa off the rear wing to give me that kind of ride. I makes flying foot switches hard, but I enjoy the ride better.

I'm all ears for ideas for a a wing that will give me fast, more stable, maneuverable, ride big waves at speed.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:40 pm

I'm a bit confused. On this thread you talk about going hard and big waves and speed and stuff. On other threads you say you can't do a foiling gybe. How does that work? How do you ride these big waves if you can't turn in and out of them or carve around on them?

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:46 am

OzBungy wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:40 pm
I'm a bit confused. On this thread you talk about going hard and big waves and speed and stuff. On other threads you say you can't do a foiling gybe. How does that work? How do you ride these big waves if you can't turn in and out of them or carve around on them?
I can surface jybe footswitch easily and toeside healside turn easily on the foil. So direction changes are not so bad. Just not a cool foiling footswitch. I think it will take me years to master the foiling footswitch. For several reasons.
1) I dont get enough time on the water to practice,
2) I love a very twitchy shallow aoa on the stab with light front foot pressure. It makes for a very fast and maneuverable foil. But it also makes the foiling foot switch real hard. I could revert back to more aoa for more stability. But no i prefer the loose foil feel.
3) my swell/chop combo makes learning moves hard,
4) I just want to ride and cant be arsed spending whole sessions on practicing/crashing.

As for riding big waves and charging fast. I am blessed with cross/on, cross/off, peeling reefs. I can onto a monster and off again well before it closes out and be enough away from the impact zone to not put myself in harm even if i crash. I also am alot better at riding that am at foot switching trickery. I can ride some pretty silly stuff and then crash on a botched up jybe....

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:43 pm

You need to try some other wings. Others have suggested as much, but they'r talking at you, not with you. You always come back with "I prefer ....." when in reality, your experience of value is on one set up. Two years ago that might have sufficed for an experienced opinion, but so much has evolved. There are bigger wings that are drastically different from one another. We have big fat profile wings from the surf and sup side, but we also have big low aspect wings that are thin and fast in profile. Add sleek production fuse and mast and your talking about foils with more than double the wing area you ride, but on foils with likely less than half the overall drag.

What you think will take years to learn, could easily take a session or two on a number of current foils. Experiencing that type of progression and change in overall foil character could change your perspective drastically.

Even if you want to do it on the cheap, there are highly affordable mast and fuse options out there that would cut your drag and allow you to DIY wings to your hearts content at very low cost.

https://www.clearwaterfoils.com/collect ... f-foil-kit

There is no reason to become stagnant as a foiler when foil development for everyone who is not a racer is just starting to get interesting.

Return to “Hydrofoil”