A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
HardyB
Rare Poster
Gear: Nobile, Slingshot, Naish
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: Neil Pryde Glide Reports/Reviews?

Postby HardyB » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:41 pm

Hey Foilfun. I’m curious how you mounted the NP to the Double Agent since the NP is designed to be bolted from below. Would you mind showing that? I’m planning to get my first foil this spring and you all have sold me on the Np, but I’m having difficulty deciding on a board. Any input would be welcome.

foilfun
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Hefner, Oklahoma City
Favorite Beaches: SPI, Texas
Style: kite foiling, surfboard, winging
Gear: LP, DT, Cab, NP, Fanatic, Takuma

Postby foilfun » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:34 am

Actually, NP designed the plate to be mounted both ways. The plate and nut are made to use the same nut upside down. Pretty nifty.

As for the board, there are many types to fit different styles. Find the person you want to ride like, and buy one like he or she is using. I've used many boards, but I like the thin ones best. Like most who love foiling, I have different foils and boards for different jobs. My friends call me a "foil hoarder"--I don't see it. 🙄
Attachments
WP_20190113_15_22_20_Panorama.jpg
WP_20190113_15_14_41_Pro.jpg

Huib
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Brouwersdam, Ouddorp
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Groove Full carbon Wave, Ketos 118cm board, Ketos Foil, BRM Cloud E8+ 6.2 +4.8+3.7+ 2.8+2.2

Postby Huib » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:23 pm

topmick wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:08 am
So far, I have been very happy with my NP Gide foil - only problem is that I cannot find any foil covers.
Has anyone found some that fit the L & M wings ?
NP can deliver a foil cover for the Large wing
https://www.hawaiiansurfing.com/static/ ... il-Bag.jpg

HardyB
Rare Poster

Postby HardyB » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:00 pm

Thanks for that response foilfun. Great to know that they’ve made the mounting so versatile. I’m currently debating between a NP crx deck or a Liquid Force Happy. Leaning toward the latter, but it’s hard to ignore the versatility of the crx for travel.

jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff

Postby jkrug » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:16 pm

had my first outing on NP Large Surf Glide with 80 Cm mast yesterday. Was comfortable immediately on it (coming from the LF Impulse wings, and for reference, i'm 200 lbs). I did get overpowered on it, but that's because it ended up blowing upper 20's and I was on a 9M...too much kite obviously. Regardless, it handled it fine. I'm still pretty much a beginner with about a year of foiling under my belt, but my turns seemed easier as the foil just stayed up there if i didn't perform a smooth transition with the kite. Looking forward to a more tame day with it and some better waves (mostly just chop yesterday), but initial impressions are this NP offering is pretty sweet.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:35 pm

Finally got out on my NP Glide L foil yesterday. First time riding a true surf wing, first time riding with any form of hooks/straps. Took a while to get it dialed in mostly because of the foot hook placement. I had the foil set almost all the way back and the foot hook in the front most spot but it was pretty much unridable at my 165 lbs. Once I figured out I could ride fine with my foot in front of the foot hook things went much better.

Still too early for me to pass judgement on the foil. I sure was thinking about buying the S wing when I was out there though.

Normally I wouldn't be foiling in 14-18 knots, I'm a LW only kind of foiler but the wind picked up and there was more swell than I was expecting. I was using a 9m LF Solo with 50-80% depower. I would have much rather had my 6.5m solo.

With my foot ahead of the foot hook I found the foil very stable and a more respectable speed. I tested canted wing breaches and it could withstand the tips coming out but not much more which is much better than my old foil could handle.

I had trouble going downwind though, very hard to control my kite while heading downwind. I had to actually start pulling on the back lines with my other hand as just pulling on the bar wasn't generating enough turning force.

I was unable to ride with the board on the surface, it was either riding on the foil or sinking.

<video>

PrfctChaos
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Style: Wave
Gear: Peak4's, Chrono V3, Skimboards, foils

Postby PrfctChaos » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:40 am

I think the small size is great for kiting (78 Kg), and in swell. Goes slow, goes pretty fast, turns feel great.

I adjusted the rear stabiliser to give less front foot pressure (did not want to move strap or mast position on the board) (adjusted by the thickness of a credit card shim), still works just as well and no loss in stability. Very balanced foil, carves sweet.

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Ozone,Firewire, Moses, Zeeko,Levitaz, NP, ION

Postby airsurfer » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:24 am

try this one washer under rear stab screw I think you will like it. smaller kite is more fun too :)
Attachments
Screenshot_20181204-040151_Chrome.jpg

topmick
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sunshine Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cotton Tree
Style: surf
Gear: Switch
FireWire
Has thanked: 0

Postby topmick » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:33 am

Slappysan wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:35 pm
Finally got out on my NP Glide L foil yesterday. First time riding a true surf wing, first time riding with any form of hooks/straps. Took a while to get it dialed in mostly because of the foot hook placement. I had the foil set almost all the way back and the foot hook in the front most spot but it was pretty much unridable at my 165 lbs. Once I figured out I could ride fine with my foot in front of the foot hook things went much better.

Still too early for me to pass judgement on the foil. I sure was thinking about buying the S wing when I was out there though.

Normally I wouldn't be foiling in 14-18 knots, I'm a LW only kind of foiler but the wind picked up and there was more swell than I was expecting. I was using a 9m LF Solo with 50-80% depower. I would have much rather had my 6.5m solo.

With my foot ahead of the foot hook I found the foil very stable and a more respectable speed. I tested canted wing breaches and it could withstand the tips coming out but not much more which is much better than my old foil could handle.

I had trouble going downwind though, very hard to control my kite while heading downwind. I had to actually start pulling on the back lines with my other hand as just pulling on the bar wasn't generating enough turning force.

I was unable to ride with the board on the surface, it was either riding on the foil or sinking.

<video>
That was way too much wind for a 9m kite on a L Glide for you weight.
I have the Large & Medium wings (73kg), only use the medium for light wind foil & Large for prone surfing tiny waves.

HardyB
Rare Poster

Postby HardyB » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:51 pm

Nice vid Slappysan. Appreciate you didn’t edit out when the shit hit the fan a bit. Reassured me that I’m not the only one who has those moments. One of my fears as I am planning to learn is getting my lines tangled in the foil. Nice recovery though.

My daughter was living near Spanish Banks. Beautiful part of the country!

Return to “Hydrofoil”