Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Foil Board rail protection

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Re: Foil Board rail protection

Postby Mossy 757 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:03 pm

Not really an on-topic response, but this stopped happening to me entirely once I switched to a Dyneema slider rope instead of a metal harness hook...I just pull my safety & loop the chicken loop through the rope. Since the CL is covered in plastic tubing, there's not really any metal to smash into my rail anymore when body dragging or recovering my board.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Foil » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:00 pm

Huib wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:05 pm
Interesting topic. I have a lot of problems with protecting my Alpinefoil board VR5. The paint of the Alpine is very fragile and I have tried various types of tape. Nothing seems to help.
These are photos of some damages after 6 months of use.
WhatsApp Image 2019-01-07 at 16.36.04.jpegWhatsApp Image 2019-01-07 at 16.35.16.jpegWhatsApp Image 2019-01-07 at 16.34.43.jpeg
I was shocked when I looked over a hardly used alpine VR5 foil board on Flag beach a few weeks ago, everything under the board was like new, (wings mast and fuse)
however the rails of the very chunky board were very worn looking, not as bad as yours but very much scratched up, I was thinking the owner was bit clumsy, but it scratches up too easily.

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby cglazier » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:19 pm

Tip for Alpine board owners:
Get a roll of blue electrical tape and put a strip of it along each side. The blue tape is hardly noticeable and it gives a little protection for the blue paint.

Electrical tape is also widely available in white, blue, red, green for other color boards. It sticks very well in a marine environment.

CG

scottnorby
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 210
Local Beach: WASHINGTON
HOOD RIVER
OREGON COAST
PISMO BEACH
LA VENTANA
Favorite Beaches: Northern Oregon coast downwinders
Gear: SPACESTICK - Foilsurfer - Wingsurfer
SPACESTICK- 5’3 MICRO convertible surf foil
NAISH - 2020 jet foils
SLINGWING V2
Tomo- Hydroshort
CHANNEL ISLAND SURFBOARDS - 6'8 bandit
FERAL wetsuits
Neil Pryde Armorskin wetsuits

Postby scottnorby » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:02 pm

....seriously.
If you have foiled for any length of time you have thrown your board in a boat. Or come out from under you and smacked a boat. Or its fallen over on a dock. Or smacked a tree branch walking a trail to the beach.

Soon all boards will have a softer type strong skin over them.
There are a few companies experimenting with alternative skins—- and of course the “cheap” solution is eva foam soft tops— but even they rip tear and stain.

But only one man has the patent with the solution he has tested on big waves of the north shore for over 15 years. Pato Teixiera has a few. Mark Occhilupo has a few. Soft shelled boards are well respected among big wave riders for their dampening and strength.
The inventor licensed the patent to spacesticklab.com two years ago.

Cush surfboards makes them for spacestick—-a true bunch of hard working surfers with a startup cranking out dingless boards.
There are a few being built for some top tow in riders on the north shore as we speak.
Its been on the down low a while but people are starting to see the foilboards built with Cush Tech and are taking a closer look.

Most of them are also equipped with wax mat by Surfco Hawaii. Amazing grip! No wax. Close to the board thin and responsive. Silicone like grip —and durable.

All the highest tech on the spacesticks.

3 years on a spacestick board with CushTech aeroskin and no dings at all.
They are the same price as any good board— but will never hit a landfill or trash dump. They will be passed on and on. Better than recycle— re use.

The production 4’6 surf/foil board will be out in the spring.

Wax mat grip hexes (NOT hexagrip- much better) are also available but ive heard that manufacturer has almost sold out of the yearly run of stock. So Grab waxmat kits asap.
tps://spacesticklab.com/collections/accessories

Return to “Hydrofoil”