A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Ozone,Firewire, Moses, Zeeko,Levitaz, NP, ION
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Mouth guard?

Postby airsurfer » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:39 pm

if you don't want to ride in full storm trooper gear this is a tip that my buddy showed me. First most already know this but whenever you feel yourself losing control on a foil don't try to save it try to jump off or send it. Second (this is the tip my friend showed me ) whenever you fall regardless of the type of board tuck your head down into your lead elbow to cover your ear and face this will break the water surface tension and protect your face and eardrum. Also if you exaggerate this move it sends you into a slight front roll so that your head is tucked and away from your board usually also protects your ribs and can be kind of fun. Practice and make it a reflex. This is obviously not fool proof and doesn't prevent every situation things can still happen but its pretty affective for most forward crashes. Whether your 5 or 55 In open water it's a good idea to wear a vest reagrdless of experience anything can happen out there and at the very least it will buy you some time. Have fun and be safe in 2019

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:41 pm

^ Good advice. When I fall on the foil, I try to oversheet the kite and let it pull me away/downwind from the board. This allows me to body drag back the other direction and if you get the timing right, the board should be gently cruising towards you on an easy intercept course. The first time I fell I instantly looked back and realized the board was still on a foil coming right towards my face.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby TomW » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:22 pm

tomtom wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:25 pm
How thats happens? I mean kind of fall where board hit you from behind?. Maybe we should incorporate protection in board - EVA tip. Board cannot go sideways or backward so We know point of impact.
Yea, fall in at speed and it follows you and bangs you in the head while you are recovering. Ive been hit, but only lightly a few times. Wear a helmet for sure.
I´d wear a face guard if i could find one that is not going to get caught up in lines or something.

Return to “Hydrofoil”