Medium Poster
Local Beach: Fay Bainbridge
Favorite Beaches: Squamish, Crissy, Waddell
Style: All types!
Gear: Ozone kites, Project Cedrus foil
Brand Affiliation: Owner of Adherend Innovations / Project Cedrus

Lightweight carbon mast for any wings

Postby BayAreaKite » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:42 am

Hello everyone, I wanted to share a project I've been working on for a few years now. It's a carbon foil mast that's designed to be compatible with any board or wings. As of now it is compatible with Liquid Force, Slingshot, and Moses. I am working on other adapters as well. The 90cm mast weighs 1.5kg, while the 65cm version is <1kg. Don't let the weight scare you, it is stiffer and stronger than any other mast.

https://projectcedrus.com

One of my biggest frustrations with foils is the weight. Even the carbon foils are heavy because they are SOLID CARBON FIBER. It's crazy! A complete waste of material, which makes manufacturing, shipping, and traveling more expensive. This mast is hollow, so it uses less material and has soft leading/trailing edges for damage tolerance and safety. Another frustration is the fact that when you buy a foil, you are locked into a brands boards and wings. It makes no sense, like forcing you to buy the same ski boots as skis, or bike frames as wheels. Project Cedrus allows you to invest in a nice mast that you use for a long time, and will allow you to explore other wings, boards, and styles.

I hope you enjoy the website and thank you for letting me share. I am a mechanical engineer, and my marketing budget is exactly $0, so I rely on these forums to share. I own a forum as well (https://www.bayareakiteboarding.com) and I know how valuable these resources are. I review this forum often. I am posting as a kiter, a forum moderator, and friend :D Just want to share some new technology with the foil world.

Thank you!

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Lightweight carbon mast for any wings

Postby BWD » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:52 am

6CEC87AD-D6FA-43C4-BC81-99DC49EE0740.jpeg
...already on market, weight about same, 5cm longer at 70cm, thickness 11mm at fuse, 14mm at base.
There are others out there too.
I applaud the project, but these are facts.

The adaptability to different fuselages and the softer edges are very good features I wish were more common, and more of a priority for bigger manufacturers. The safer trailing edge is unique as far as I know. :thumb:

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:46 am

Compatibility is good as long as it does not stop progress. I have 2 masts from F-One, carbon Grand prix full carbon 95cm (1.5kg) and F-One aluminium 85cm hollow (1.45kg) so nothing special there.

BayAreaKite
Medium Poster

Postby BayAreaKite » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:04 pm

Thank you for the feedback. I know there are others out there, as new products have been introduced since I started almost 3 years ago. But very few publish weight numbers so it's hard to know without the forums:) Super helpful to learn about these products, which are more common in other parts of the world, too.

It's pretty crazy that F-one carbon weighs more than aluminum. That's the problem with solid carbon masts. I also compared stiffness, and Cedrus is much stiffer than F-one.

The light carbon versions all have foam core as far as I know, which over time can degrade due to the shear strains in bending. I also understand from reading this forum that some cored masts, such as lift, can absorb water. I have seen a few broken moses masts, with the core exposed.

Anyway, thank you for the feedback and info. My goal with this project is to make a lightweight mast that works with any wings and for surf, sup, kite, and windsurf. Of course I could make it lighter, but this is a nice balance given all the variables.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jakemoore » Mon May 04, 2020 9:43 pm

I'm curious how the Cedrus masts are holding up?

BayAreaKite
Medium Poster

Postby BayAreaKite » Tue May 05, 2020 4:52 am

Happy to report the project is going great! We are beyond serial number 50 now, after a brief setback due to COVID-19. So far all of my customers are really happy with the stiffness and compatibility of the mast. I have transitioned to the bigger Lift 150 wings, and Project Cedrus is perfect for them. Much stiffer than the Lift mast, but also a little lighter. Cedrus was designed with these bigger wings in mind, where the stiffness is especially important. I am excited to announce it is now compatible with Axis as well, you can see some of the updates here: https://projectcedrus.com/cedrus-update ... a-updates/

Thanks for your interest and let me know if you have any other questions!

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Tue May 05, 2020 8:10 am

I believe the latest moses masts have wood cores not foam,
just one thing that guys must remember when weighing their masts, the removable base plates weigh a considerable amount, and if your making adaptors for your masts the weight of these is not to be ignored.
I had all these combinations last year, moses carbon and slingshot aluminum with moses adaptor parts, and was so glad when Moses came up with their new 82cm carbon mast, great length, super light and much stiffer with wood core.
declaring mast weights without their fixings is confusing,adaptors with their extra bits are not light, some of the base plates feel like a house brick when you pick one up.(slingshot)
for your own reference the new 82cm moses mast complete is 1.464 grm.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

qqqq

Postby Foil » Tue May 05, 2020 8:11 am

qq
Last edited by Foil on Tue May 05, 2020 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wazza Foil
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hams
Style: Kite surfing strapless. Foil, SUP and ka
Gear: lots

Postby Wazza Foil » Tue May 05, 2020 9:01 am

For kite foiling carbon masts maybe a little superior however for SUP and Windwing aluminum masts work for me.
Why, I find a bit more stability and minimises big wings causing board to float on their sides due to the additional weight of the mast.
Kite boards on their side is a good thing but Sups not so for me.
On my Big Moses wings I use Slingshot masts with Jimmy adapters and kiting Moses carbon.

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Tue May 05, 2020 9:48 am

BayAreaKite wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 4:52 am
Happy to report the project is going great! We are beyond serial number 50 now, after a brief setback due to COVID-19. So far all of my customers are really happy with the stiffness and compatibility of the mast. I have transitioned to the bigger Lift 150 wings, and Project Cedrus is perfect for them. Much stiffer than the Lift mast, but also a little lighter. Cedrus was designed with these bigger wings in mind, where the stiffness is especially important. I am excited to announce it is now compatible with Axis as well, you can see some of the updates here: https://projectcedrus.com/cedrus-update ... a-updates/

Thanks for your interest and let me know if you have any other questions!
Any response to comments online that your masts might be a big draggy due to its dimensions?

Return to “Hydrofoil”