Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Fast wave hydrofoiling.

Postby plummet » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:31 am

Not sure about the speed i'm going. I don't have gps.

Below is the wave in question. Thats not the day but gives you and idea of the size and wind angel

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:13 am

Frankieboy wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:02 pm
Ketos has different wave wings:
- wave span 500 - surface 570
- wave xl span 575- surface 790
- 1200 span 660, surface 1200
The smaller the faster. I guess 30knots with the wave and 25knots with the wave xl
I have the Ketos Wave and the 1200 cm2 ; before the new trend to surf slowly the waves, this Wave wing was really appreciated in waves and carving, but still riding fast (indeed 30 knots for certain riders) ; it is very agile

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:22 am

plummet wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:31 am

Below is the wave in question. Thats not the day but gives you and idea of the size and wind angel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK6c0-kX9-Q
Great wave location. Would love to see similar video but foiling.

tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Hood River/Caribbean
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone/Levitaz

Postby tkaraszewski » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:53 pm

plummet wrote:

I don't understand how these guys can keep up with this wave just fine on regular surfboards doing lots of carving turns that slow them down but you can't keep up with it on a fast foil. That doesn't make much sense to me. Watching that video, it seems like it'd be easy to keep up with those surfers on a foil.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:46 pm

tkaraszewski wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:53 pm
plummet wrote:

I don't understand how these guys can keep up with this wave just fine on regular surfboards doing lots of carving turns that slow them down but you can't keep up with it on a fast foil. That doesn't make much sense to me. Watching that video, it seems like it'd be easy to keep up with those surfers on a foil.
plummet wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:14 am
I'm close to maximum speed for my foil.
Can you borrow some else's? Is there anyone at that spot who foils that wave successfully?

cor
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: -

Postby cor » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:48 pm

tkaraszewski wrote:
I don't understand how these guys can keep up with this wave just fine on regular surfboards doing lots of carving turns that slow them down but you can't keep up with it on a fast foil.
I don't understand that either.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:03 pm

cor wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:48 pm
tkaraszewski wrote:
I don't understand how these guys can keep up with this wave just fine on regular surfboards doing lots of carving turns that slow them down but you can't keep up with it on a fast foil.
I don't understand that either.
It does not make sense to me either :roll:

Maybe it is because you are more interested in high speed along the wave, than surfing/turning, or?

We dont have waves with much speed, but when kite surfboards can ride like that in the video, it should be no problem even with a much bigger wing I would think, especially when you ride so powered :D
Would even say these waves looks like a much bigger surf wing would work better.

8) Peter

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:08 pm

Interesting comments. Maybe most of the issue with the wave is that it is cross off, with more offshore than i'm used. You have to go FAST upwind to get onto the wave and stay on it, plus you still have kite power going down the line. Then when you turn down the line you can turn tighter and slower like you see the guys doing on the face, But every time you face down the line you get a shoot of speed. If you look closely you can see that with the guys surfing the wave. They counteract that shoot of speed with another tight turn quickly before they gain too much speed.
On the foil that shoot of speed is amplified dramatically. You wang real fast real quick. I did note on a few occasions that when I managed tighter turns I was more in control. So maybe the answer is a slower surf wing that turns tighter. Getting on the wave with a slow surf wing may be an issue and dealing with the all that lift this wave gives might also be an issue.

On the other hand I actually prefer to shoot at high speed down the line doing big fast carves. So maybe i need to focus on a foil that can handle fast shooting down the line speed rather than the tight turny stuff.

Another compounding issue with this location is that there are subsurface boulders if you run out in front of the wave. You need to get on the wave ride it for a bit without shooting out in front of the wave and then pop off the back before you hit boulders.

I am not aware of anyone else foiling this location. Nor would it be reasonable to expect to borrow another foil for here either. Any mistake leading to loosing the board in the surf would mean the foil would get smashed up on boulders.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:53 pm

Doesn’t sound like a good spot for foil riding!

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:00 pm

Rad spot! Looks fun as ... for any kind of board!

Seems like they are all facing challenge on staying in the pocket, allowing any downwind direction means getting pulled too quickly along the face. So on a foil, I'd think the challenge would be more about being able to slow down enough to stay on the wave and ride it versus shooting out ahead of it too quick. Maybe aiming for a top to bottom surfing style would work better: top turn down the face, then cutback where you are pretty much going back upwind, repeat. Kinda like how tight S-turns helps control speed when snowboarding, versus longer drawn out GS turns ... aim for tighter turns almost like doing a series of figure 8s in and out of the pocket?

But easy for all us keyboard fliers to say! I know how challenging it is to drop in on waves a quarter this size and just deal with the acceleration in a straight line, much less stomping tight turns at speed. And then attempting to link the turns without pause adds even more complexity and commitment. It would help to ride it myself, to get a feel for it -- hope to see you there in 2025 or so. :-) It would also help to see video of you foiling it, to get a sense of what you're doing and what might be improved -- but that's the same for 99% of us, not going to happen, because the likelihood of anyone filming us doing this nonsense is virtually zero. D'oh! :lol:

Anyways, for wings ... I don't think you want a big surf front wing ... it won't be able to handle the acceleration in those waves. You need something that can go pretty fast, very quick turning / carvey, but also have enough surface area to handle the "pauses" in between turns. I don't have tons of experience with different wings, but personally I am fan of the stringy wings .. the new XL ones I think will be good for smaller wave carving, I bet the regular ones would work well for you. Similarly, I suspect the spitfire XLW would be awesome, once used to the rear foot bias (also helps for stomping those turns). Nice thing is ... both are just a piece of G10 sanded to wing shape, so with $100 in materials and a few hours with a belt sander, you could start experimenting.

Return to “Hydrofoil”