Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Raising the rocker

Postby jespin4845 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:47 am

Anyone shim their board to raise the nose rocker? I’ve been using a wake skate board for the past couple of months, the aggressive rocker made my front foot higher like a ketos board and I got so used to it for strapless crap in the surf until is broke. Now going back to my production board I’m pearling like crazy.

To raise my dwarfcraft nose two inches I am going to make a 3.5° shim from composite shims.

Unfortunately won’t have wind till Tuesday-ish. Looking for guidance on someone who has done it.

And kite companies please start making some aggressive rockered boards like ketos and Kanaha shape...I don’t feel like shelling out 1k for one thou. Pretty soon 90% of the kiters will be on surf foils and want a small board with a lot of rocker. Not a short flat board.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Re: Raising the rocker

Postby plummet » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:02 am

Make your own board!

Wazza Foil
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hams
Style: Kite surfing strapless. Foil, SUP and ka
Gear: lots

Postby Wazza Foil » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:37 am

Airush have a mast base specifically for kitefoil with a 3 deg built in angle.

Breze
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 90kg
Style: Foiling
Gear: Foils&Tubes

Postby Breze » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:50 am

There are two methods
Shim

And a tail rocker, like the Groove Skate

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:40 am

jespin4845 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:47 am
Anyone shim their board to raise the nose rocker? I’ve been using a wake skate board for the past couple of months, the aggressive rocker made my front foot higher like a ketos board and I got so used to it for strapless crap in the surf until is broke. Now going back to my production board I’m pearling like crazy.

Snip...

You are spot on, flat boards sucks bigtime, particularly if they are short they do, it gets a lot worse.

The longer the board the less important with aggressive scoop (or nose scoop which is the same as "rocker" in the nose).

For foiling, boards that are flat sucks, you will nosedive often and not be able to start easy on the short ones.
Then one can raise the nose (not raise the rocker, that would require a new board) relative to the mast, which is often necessary to ride okay.
It sucks a bit too, although you can ride just fine, but you need to ride with your front foot bent - VERY uncomfortable in the long run :(
But better than nose diving or not being able to start easy.
I had to raise the nose a tad on my 3 foot totally flat skimboard, as too difficult to start otherwise, but now I have to ride with front leg bent more...

The other scenario is heavily rockered boards (all the way through like wakeboards), which isnt much better, as here your front foot will also be "higher" than the rear, so you have to stand awkwardly with front foot bent :(

The solution is to make boards without (much) rocker, and only scoop (= nose rocker, violent on supershort boards, gentler on longer ones), here my shorter 118 board and medium 130 cm, where you can see the idea, and how at longer boards you can have a gentler scoop because it must not start till in front of your front foot to give a balanced stance:

ScoopKetos.jpg

This will give you the best of both, as it is "flat" between your feet thus you can stand perfectly relaxed at even height, and the aggressively or gentler curved nose will make starting and also touchdowns a joy, instead of nosediving :thumb:

That is why Ketos and Kanaha and Groove Skate got this very rockerline on shorter boards - a tad at the rear (maybe or maybe not), almost flat on at least 2/3 of the rear of the board, and then aggressive curve up at the nose - works splendid :naughty:

This ia also why skimboards are not good for foiling, and wakeboards are almost as bad, a tad better though.

Maybe this wasnt the answer to your question, as I believe you simply ask HOW to raise the nose, sorry, but some might get some useful information of the balanced feet and rocker/scoop principles :D

8) Peter

PS: What does "Pearling" mean? Diving the nose under, like going to search for pearls at the seabed ?

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Jupiter, FL

Postby jespin4845 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:58 pm

Yep diving the nose under :lol:

butterfish
Rare Poster
Gear: trying to keep it simple
Has thanked: 0

Postby butterfish » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:55 pm

would love to have such a "shim plate" for my foil (165x90mm). how to get a easy and good result? what materials to use and how to work with it? or does anybody know if there is an item like this anywhere available to buy?

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:00 pm

The dwarfcraft totally sucks in this regard. I had to shim mine to make it work at all back when i hade the moses 550 on it Otherwise it was a torpedo during starts.
I shimmed using a wedged plate and it helped a lot

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Jupiter, FL

Postby jespin4845 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:12 pm

(Actual: 0.1875-in x 1.5-in x 7.9375-in) 12-Pack Composite Shims https://www.lowes.com/pd/(Actual:-0.187 ... ms/3377156

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Jupiter, FL

Postby jespin4845 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:12 pm

I bought those, drilled holes and put on both track, trying it out today

Return to “Hydrofoil”