Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Raising the rocker

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Slyde
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Raising the rocker

Postby Slyde » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:10 pm

Maybe not the easiest unless you have the tools but I made a shim for my SUP foil by getting a nylon bread cutting board (about10mm thick), cutting it to shape and using an electric planer to thin and bevel it down to a wedge of the angle I wanted. Then drilled holes as needed and cut some larger holes in it in the non weight bearing areas to reduce the weight. Works perfectly and very durable. Took about 20 mins to make.

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:48 pm

butterfish wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:55 pm
would love to have such a "shim plate" for my foil (165x90mm). how to get a easy and good result? what materials to use and how to work with it? or does anybody know if there is an item like this anywhere available to buy?
As a short term solution, or to experiment with different angles, you can use nylon washers to raise one side. On the pic, experimenting on the Zeeko Wakeskate. Before settling with two washers.
If you need a more permanent solution, you can sand down a plate of G10, or ideally 3D print one.
IMG_20180413_174146.jpg

mikesids
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Pt Chev, Auckland
Favorite Beaches: Aitutaki lagoon, Cook Islands
Style: Foil, surf, speed, jumping, freestyle
Gear: F One Furtives / FS Souls for speed, Airush Ultra's for freeride foiling , Chrono UL for freerace foiling, Parks, Bandit and Union for all round, JShapes / Levitaz / Spitfire XLW foil, F One AC21 Speed boards, Groove Skate

Postby mikesids » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:10 am

Not quite in the home-made vein , but I can say that in my opinion Michele at Groove has absolutely nailed it with the Skate - absolutely frickin LOVE mine, one of my favourite pieces of kiting gear. The substantial nose rocker is so forgiving in heavy chop , waves and when touching down at speed you can really survive potentially hairy touchdowns quite easily. And it feels like riding a little go cart. Also has long tracks on it so you can use with a variety of wings , from large surf wings to race wings. Cannot speak highly enough about it. Was inspired to get a board like this after talking to a mate at my local who has a Ketos with lots of nose rocker - looks like you were right Eric ;-)
These users thanked the author mikesids for the post:
Peter_Frank (Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:29 am)
Rating: 3.03%

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:47 am

mikesids wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:10 am
Not quite in the home-made vein , but I can say that in my opinion Michele at Groove has absolutely nailed it with the Skate - absolutely frickin LOVE mine, one of my favourite pieces of kiting gear. The substantial nose rocker is so forgiving in heavy chop , waves and when touching down at speed you can really survive potentially hairy touchdowns quite easily. And it feels like riding a little go cart. Also has long tracks on it so you can use with a variety of wings , from large surf wings to race wings. Cannot speak highly enough about it. Was inspired to get a board like this after talking to a mate at my local who has a Ketos with lots of nose rocker - looks like you were right Eric ;-)
What size Skate do you have?

mikesids
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Pt Chev, Auckland
Favorite Beaches: Aitutaki lagoon, Cook Islands
Style: Foil, surf, speed, jumping, freestyle
Gear: F One Furtives / FS Souls for speed, Airush Ultra's for freeride foiling , Chrono UL for freerace foiling, Parks, Bandit and Union for all round, JShapes / Levitaz / Spitfire XLW foil, F One AC21 Speed boards, Groove Skate

Postby mikesids » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:32 am

120 - was the only size they had earlier in 2018. I forgot to say that I was also very inspired by Gunnar's videos.
These users thanked the author mikesids for the post:
slowboat (Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:37 am)

francis luengo
Medium Poster
Gear: moses , cabrinha , ozone.
Been thanked: 0

Postby francis luengo » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:13 pm

Does anyone know the kanaha´s nose rocker..?
thx
Last edited by francis luengo on Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards

Postby jespin4845 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:02 pm

so the shim helps a lot, mimics the front foot higher like a wake skate, touchdowns aren't as good thou, I suspect cause of the shim...either way its a lot better

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:07 pm

jespin4845 wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:02 pm
so the shim helps a lot, mimics the front foot higher like a wake skate, touchdowns aren't as good thou, I suspect cause of the shim...either way its a lot better

A bit confused, do you prefer to have your front foot higher BECAUSE you have gotten used to it now?

I noted your first post:
"Anyone shim their board to raise the nose rocker? I’ve been using a wake skate board for the past couple of months, the aggressive rocker made my front foot higher like a ketos board and I got so used to it for strapless crap in the surf until is broke. Now going back to my production board I’m pearling like crazy."

Above underlined is not correct, Ketos and Groove boards DONT have your front foot higher, that is the genius idea of it!
They dont have aggressive rocker, hardly any rocker at all, quite flat and then violent nose rocker / scoop - that is the whole idea :thumb:

Most riders hate having an unequal stance, so we, and manufacturers do what they can to avoid it, for a pleasant ride.

Of course, if you have a board without nose rocker/scoop, you can shim so you need to ride with front foot higher, as the best of two bads - was that your thoughts?

8) Peter

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards

Postby jespin4845 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:44 pm

to be honest I do like to have my front foot higher now, at first it was different, then you start to get used to it, then it becomes an annoyance when you go back to flat

and I'm not talking about 3 inches higher or something ridiculous, but a smidge at the heel of my front foot then at the ball of my front foot the aggressive scoop starts to take over, and i believe if I had a ketos/groove skate I would have my front foot very fwd where the scoop starts to become aggressive

the ability to control my foil solely on my front foot (heel/ball) while my back foot is able to quickly shift anywhere it wants is what I believe is leading to my current riding. Cause I quickly go from having the back foot on top of the plate to all the way back whether its to ride a wave or go for a jump/backroll whatever...

keep in mind im riding surf foils now like the gofoil and Onda solely, kitefoils have become completely alien to me, I need a lot of more front foot pressure, that also might contribute to a flat board feeling weird now, cause on a flat board I feel like i have to lean more fwd if that makes any sense
These users thanked the author jespin4845 for the post:
Peter_Frank (Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:38 pm)

Return to “Hydrofoil”