Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

New foil from Ozone

For all foil kite riders
Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave & hydrofoil
Gear: Moses hydrofoils, Ozone kites, Dynabar sliding hook + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, AXIS, HB ....
Brand Affiliation: www.famousfrank.com
Has thanked: 0

Re: New foil from Ozone

Postby Frank Rosin » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:30 pm

early bird2 wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:46 pm
Any ideas of the weight of these Hyperlink ? 9 and 12 ?

The 12m is 2244g.

Cheers,
Frank
www.famousfrank.com

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Moses hydrofoils, Ozone kites, Dynabar sliding hook + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, AXIS, HB ....

Postby Frank Rosin » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:45 pm

borist wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:59 pm
Looks like it turns well. Can you make a comparison to 9m race foil and perhaps 9m Edge?
Can compare to R1V2 9m and Edge V9 7m.
Are you after anything in particular?
Litsupplyco wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:01 am

Frank what are your impressions after being out on the 9?
I will keep the Hyperlink in my personal quiver, which I really did not expect.
Can not wait for 7m and 5m to arrive!

Will work on a more complete report the next few days, this time in German first though.

Cheers,
Frank
www.famousfrank.com

borist
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby borist » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:01 pm

Frank Rosin wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:45 pm
borist wrote:
Looks like it turns well. Can you make a comparison to 9m race foil and perhaps 9m Edge?
Sure. Power pike. Turning speed. Weight (lighter vs heavier). Bar feel. Overall feel of the kite compared to Edge. Basically I'm interested to know how different or similar this kite feels/behaves to those other models. You seem to like Edge (especially the small size) with HF and I do as well, so I assume that your gut feel about this kite is very useful to me.

early bird2
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lake Champlain
Favorite Beaches: Magdalen Island , Baja
Style: freeride
Gear: Ozone , North

Postby early bird2 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:23 am

Drift ?
Does the 12 performs as well as the 9 ?
Drift launch ?
Compare to the R1V2 really ? to the V2 and Edge I would understand but the R1V2 seems to be way more high AR .

Kitemanmuc
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Big Air, Kiteloops, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Eleveight

Postby Kitemanmuc » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:28 am

Frank Rosin wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:45 pm
borist wrote:
Litsupplyco wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:01 am

Frank what are your impressions after being out on the 9?
I will keep the Hyperlink in my personal quiver, which I really did not expect.
Can not wait for 7m and 5m to arrive!

Will work on a more complete report the next few days, this time in German first though.

Cheers,
Frank
www.famousfrank.com

Whats the range of the 9m on your foil. German works for me :)

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Frank Rosin » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:25 am

borist wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:01 pm
Sure. Power pike. Turning speed. Weight (lighter vs heavier). Bar feel. Overall feel of the kite compared to Edge. Basically I'm interested to know how different or similar this kite feels/behaves to those other models. You seem to like Edge (especially the small size) with HF and I do as well, so I assume that your gut feel about this kite is very useful to me.
Yes it does turn well, not super fast and responsive, but smooth and very predictable.
It delivers the power in that same way, even when looping, no sudden peak power, but always smooth, it has power, but doesn't yank you around.
I really like the R1V2, just a performance machine and also loving the power spikes (especially of the 6 and 7m) for maneuvers, the Hyperlink is completely different, but still I fell in love. I am very surprised myself. Expected to think that it is a good kite, but surely did not expect I would like to keep riding it after testing. But I do. I really do. It has become my go to kite since... the first flight.
The Edge in 5 and 7 is very responsive and much more aggressive than the Hyperlink, I like that a lot. But the Hyperlink is just so easy, so reliable, so predictable and offers the quickest water relaunch I ever experienced. It is the first foil kite I would give to anybody to try no matter if the person has ever used a foil kite before. So yeah, the biggest surprise to me is that yet it is that easy to handle I like it that much for myself. Just a nice everyday freeride (hydrofoil) kite for me.
early bird2 wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:23 am
Drift ?
Does the 12 performs as well as the 9 ?
Drift launch ?
Compare to the R1V2 really ? to the V2 and Edge I would understand but the R1V2 seems to be way more high AR .
Going downwind on hydrofoil works really well and easy. I guess it means it drifts well.
In general I am a fan of small kites, but yes, I like to fly the 12 and will keep it for myself.
Drift launch, what exactly is your question?
It is very different to the R1V2 for sure, so no problem to compare characteristics. Started to do that above. It makes sense to me as these other two kites (R1V2 and Edge V9 are, or should I say have been, my two main models I used.
Litsupplyco wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:28 am
Whats the range of the 9m on your foil. German works for me :)
Massive. If I had to choose just one kite for hydrofoiling today, it would most likely be the 9m Hyperlink as I would not miss out many days.

Cheers,
Frank
www.famousfrank.com

early bird2
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lake Champlain
Favorite Beaches: Magdalen Island , Baja
Style: freeride
Gear: Ozone , North

Postby early bird2 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:56 pm

Thanks for the review Frank ! I meant drift water launch when there is no beach .

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Frank Rosin » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:00 pm

early bird2 wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:56 pm
Thanks for the review Frank ! I meant drift water launch when there is no beach .
Should be relatively reliable possible.
I already had some thoughts in this direction (related to the Hyperlink), there are some spots that are no real spots ;)

Cheers,
Frank
www.famousfrank.com

borist
Very Frequent Poster

Postby borist » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:35 am

I really like the R1V2, just a performance machine and also loving the power spikes (especially of the 6 and 7m) for maneuvers, the Hyperlink is completely different, but still I fell in love. I am very surprised myself. Expected to think that it is a good kite, but surely did not expect I would like to keep riding it after testing. But I do.
Thanks Frank. This is what I was looking for

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:12 am

Frank Rosin wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:00 pm
early bird2 wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:56 pm
Should be relatively reliable possible.
I already had some thoughts in this direction (related to the Hyperlink), there are some spots that are no real spots ;)
Hi Frank,
also thanks to your reviews and videos, hope to get it in hand this weekend, but not sure. Still not sure if ordering blind the 5 m² or going for another brand with a smaller model.

- Maybe you can produce a video of a first water launch in the deep as I have done with a breast cam? Maybe also pushing some liters of water into the valve to see how well the kite is able to push it out.
In your video https://www.famousfrank.de/2017/07/05/o ... aunch-test
it seems to be pretty much wind and also feet on the ground, no water coming in, ... so not so high challenge for relaunch, isn't it? Would be nice if you have the possibility, know it is some effort and for sure also not so important for small kites, but in fact I also have done drift launch with small foils in the past.
- As you now have better feeling about windrange: Would you expect an experienced 62 kg could stay more or less relaxed on the water in a gust till max. 40 knts with the 5 m²? I know it is much speculation doing extrapolation from 9 to 5 m² but what is your feeling? It was possible with my old 6 m² PS4 but this had very low power per size.

Thanks

Return to “Foil Kites”