Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Soul

Postby Adventure Logs » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:15 pm

tomtom wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:37 pm
New bar for fs peak is very nice. Eventhough you dont like fs bars look at it. Its very minimalistic setup one of cleanest from mass production. I personaly use custom carbon bar.
How is it minimalistic? I’m sure we will get a version of it for the next kite release. Does it have a click in QR like ozone? That’s really all I hope it has. Looks like the floaters are nicer so I hope they don’t tear in the first couple sessions like the older ones did for me. I hear it’s quite light as well which will be fantastic for travel.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:42 pm

Its light, it has one hole which doesnt block sheeting while turning like old fs bar. Everything is clean and tidy. QR dunotnow. I did not open/close. Basicaly its good bar which just work as bar should.

Armin Harich
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Armin Harich » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:46 pm

Here you can see the new Connect Bar. The Bar is clean, light and simple but has 5 Lines (7+14m) (all same length).
It is possible to use it at the SOUL, but than you need to mount the 5th Line to one front main to use it as a frontline safety and extend the stopper that it will flag out completely.

Last edited by Armin Harich on Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:48 pm

Armin Harich wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:46 pm
Here you can see the new Connect Bar. The Bar is clean, light and simple but has 5 Lines (7+14m) (all same length).
It is possible to use it at the SOUL, but than you need to mount the 5th Line to one front main to use it as a frontline safety.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-rlzFB79tE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-rlzFB79tE
Armin, I’m excited for the next bar from Flysurfer and was wondering if you could give some previews. Will we expect a mini 5th line like before? Also will the QR be line Ozone’s with the very easy reset or more like the traditional setup we have gotten with the last couple infinity bars? I’ve always honestly have been a little disappointed with the bars from FS compared to the fantastic kites you guys have designed. It’s always felt kinda like the bars were afterthoughts. I have high hopes for the new one coming. It’s time to bring the bars up to the level of your foils.

Armin Harich
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Armin Harich » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:03 pm

We are working hard on the Bars. The new Connect Bar ist the first step which we are very happy now and it has a very hot price.
More info will follow as soon as we passed all tests. We prefer to speak about the details public, once they are ready to deliver.

Thank you, Armin

BOEMIX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sant Pere Pescador (Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Etang de l'Eole, La Franqui (France)
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Kites: ozone: Flusurfer Soul15m, Flusurfer Peak 11m, Flysurfer Peak 8m, Ozone access 6m, Ozone Enduro 7 and 10m, Ozone Edge 13m,
Boards: Naish Bullet 5,4, Liewe Shotgun 138x41, Custom Saul 145x45, Custom Race TTBoard, Custom Rikyshapes foil board with Sabfoil.

For winging: Duotone 5'5 Aluula Unit, Takuma Ride3 5m, Cabrinha Mantis 4m, Slinshot 3'2, and also Custom Rikyshapes winging with Sabfoil as the biard/foil.

Postby BOEMIX » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:32 pm

It gonna look like just more FS Soul hype, but my 15m is the first kite that I actually enjoy mountainboarding with.

It pulls you in almost nothing and handles inland gusty conditions nicely but I'm still not confident enough to try jumping yet with the mountainboard, because in the recreational airstrip I ride, wind can drop or chance direction without warning. But one day I will try because when I jump in the water the hangtime is impresdive even in misstimed jumps.

Can't wait to try my Soul 15m on snow, but this year in the pyrinees snow is missing completely.

Kristan
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plescheevo lake
Favorite Beaches: Mejvodnoye, Crimea
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Eleveight XS 14m, Paraavis Smile 3 15m. Boards: Flysurfer Radical 6 144x46, Flysurfer Flydoor4 170x50

Postby Kristan » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:40 pm

Here goes nothing.
For the last few days we've finally got decent winds so I've unpacked newly bought Soul 12m. I've watched videos of happy testers, read so much about this kite, how stable it is, how friendly it is, not a kite, but a miracle... And it all was HUGE BULLSHIT!

A bit about myself and what conditions that I had. I am 98kg (216 in freedom units), I ride for more than two years, yet I can't call myself as an experienced rider. My experience with foil kites was ancient FS Pulse2 for those two years that I used it on the water and snow alike, but mostly on snow. For now I snowkite and for the last two days we had 8-14 knots of wind, which was gusty and turbulent.

Let's start with yesterday. I assemble it, check bridles, hooked in, launching, getting in the starting position, diving my kite... nothing. Diving again, nothing. Third dive, it's not even pulling the harness. But there is plenty of wind. Somehow I manage to start. I heard people saying that Soul ignores the gusts, no it doesn't, it gladly catches the "bricks" and goes slack with the small lulls. Also for some reason pressure on the bar was monstrous, I had to put a lot of effort in order to turn or sine it. I'd say it went slack with any inconvenient reason. Mostly it recovered itself without much of problem, it even got into tie once, but unfolded it. But then I've decided to take a small break and put the kite at 10 o'clock, keeping the lines tensioned. And guess what? It backstalled, going down like a rag, had some twists and ended up with the lines over the canopy. So I had to go to it and fix everything. For some reason some of the lines were inside the bridle, so I've disconnected the bar lines and pulled whole speed system through the bridle. Who knows, maybe that was main cause of my problems from the start or it appeared at the recent twist, I can't tell. After that incident kite went smoother and bar pressure got lighter, yet I think that's the wind got slower. I could not understand this kite, it had no power when I needed from it and gave explosive power when I didn't. Some transitions and downwind attempts sent me flying. But I guess it's just me not getting used to that kite. This kite requires apparent speed in order to ride well, otherwise it goes slow and lazy. I had to sine it all the time, but most effective way to get the speed was to downloop it. Oh boy it's so slow on the turns! My 17m LEI turns faster! The only thing that brightened my day were jumps. I'm bad at jumping, I only try my first ones, but this kite pulled me higher than I expected. Gladly it lands those jumps pretty smoothly. Fun thing, when I pulled the bar there was a half a second lag before liftoff, when my LEIs used to pull me out instantly.

The next day things got better, wind got smoother, so the riding. I still had to sine it constantly, cuz wind was pretty light, but at least it had really nice upwind, so I left the major traffic without issues. It was much more relaxing ride and I felt like I getting used to that kite. But it was still prone to go slack and fall with any inconvenience. So once I had an issue like yesterday, kite goes slack, falls twisting, lines over the canopy. Also it friggin loves to invert itself! I had a lot of times when kite decided to fly in the middle of the wind window with the trailing edge up, showing me the back of the kite. I had no idea how to react and how to fix such situation. I'll try to pull center lines next time, maybe that would help. Also the flying trailing edge is the reason why I couldn't safely self land it in wind over 10 knots by pulling the steering lines. So I had to use safety instead. Also because of how light the fabric is I had to throw half a ton of snow on it and a harness so it won't get blown away from the parking... And sometimes even that wasn't enough, so I had to run and catch the kite.

Why did I mention Pulse2? Because it gave me far less unpleasant surprises than Soul! I know it's ancient, slow turning and has less aspect ratio, but it's predictable. It had twists and ties sometimes. Sometimes! Not with every god damn session!

For now I slightly regret buying Soul. It's not the super-duper dream kite everyone praised it to be. If not for the sudden jump in price of Hyperlink I'd rather go for it. But I would get used to it, maybe I would find common ground and discover its charm. But for now I'm rather disappointed.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:48 pm

Soul may not be the perfect kite but it does literally none of the things you have just described. Did you close the intake valves?

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:51 pm

or had mixers twisted or something

Kristan
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plescheevo lake
Favorite Beaches: Mejvodnoye, Crimea
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Eleveight XS 14m, Paraavis Smile 3 15m. Boards: Flysurfer Radical 6 144x46, Flysurfer Flydoor4 170x50

Postby Kristan » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:03 pm

andylc wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:48 pm
Soul may not be the perfect kite but it does literally none of the things you have just described. Did you close the intake valves?
Intake valves? You mean deflation valves? I forgot to close them at first launch. When I noticed that I have instantly landed the kite to fix this. Only then I went for what I have described.
cwood wrote:or had mixers twisted or something
I've checked bridles. I'm not sure if they were fine after the time I have landed it to close the deflation valves. But after the incident with the tie I've checked them again and they were fine. It still didn't fix the other problems that happened after.

Return to “Foil Kites”