Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Peter Lynn Charger 3

For all foil kite riders
nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Peter Lynn Charger 3

Postby nothing2seehere » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:20 am

I don't fly arc kites but I imagine the problem you would encounter would be the shift in flying skills to constantly steer the kite back towards the water. I know I find it annoying flying kites that constantly seek the water as you need to keep moving them back up again.

geokite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Silver Strand, Mission Bay
Favorite Beaches: Sherman, Belmont
Style: Surf, Foil
Gear: Avoid the Triton foil board, made by Newind!

B: [Firewire SP, Kanaha MM, Triton] F: [Lift, Triton, Axis] K: [Kitech, Gin]

Postby geokite » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:52 pm

SimonP wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:00 am
I just saw one for sale second hand: https://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/kites- ... 91debc9b94
I used to fly an Arc back in about 2002. A kite with auto-zenith could be awesome for hydrofoiling in light winds when others are struggling to keep their kites in the air.
Does anyone hydrofoil with a kite like this?
I've been out, learning, on my HF with a twinskin three times now. First two times, the autozenith was not a problem, as I was riding healside and could comfortably keep both hands on the bar.

But yikes, now I'm riding toeside. Autozenith stinks when riding toeside, as the natural position of your hand does not counter-act the autozenith. Very hard on the wrist and shoulder to steer the kite down all the time.

Bridled foils rule in light wind. Twinskins might stay in the air, but they are still more likely to fall out than a bridled foil in the lulls.

zerogee_ca
Very Frequent Poster

Postby zerogee_ca » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:32 am

geokite wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:52 pm
SimonP wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:00 am
I just saw one for sale second hand: https://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/kites- ... 91debc9b94
I used to fly an Arc back in about 2002. A kite with auto-zenith could be awesome for hydrofoiling in light winds when others are struggling to keep their kites in the air.
Does anyone hydrofoil with a kite like this?
I've been out, learning, on my HF with a twinskin three times now. First two times, the autozenith was not a problem, as I was riding healside and could comfortably keep both hands on the bar.

But yikes, now I'm riding toeside. Autozenith stinks when riding toeside, as the natural position of your hand does not counter-act the autozenith. Very hard on the wrist and shoulder to steer the kite down all the time.

Bridled foils rule in light wind. Twinskins might stay in the air, but they are still more likely to fall out than a bridled foil in the lulls.
Do you ride with a rope harness? Makes riding toeside more fluid and natural.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:50 am

Don't think a rope harness is going to make any difference. The kite still wants to fly high - and you would normally use your bottom hand to counteract this. This is also the hand you would naturally want to remove from the bar - hence, its not ideal

For interest - I gather B&M stopped doing the rope slider in their ION range and went for a steel slider because the feed back from the foilers was that the rope allowed the angle of pull to change which threw them off balance. The steel slider keeps the pull more in line with the centre of the harness but still slides from side to side.

PugetSoundKiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Wake TT, Strapless Surfboard, Landboard
Gear: Cabrinha, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Naish, North, Pansh, Ozone, HQ, Peter Lynn

Postby PugetSoundKiter » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:31 am

The one arc kite still sold today it only has 2 inlet cells at the center of the kite and all other bridled foils today have 5 to 7 inlet cells spaced along the leading edge. The older arc kites similarly, had 5 to 7 inlet cells spaced along the leading edge. So did the arc mature concluding the design trade to a simpler, lighter, slower de-pressure resistant, less water ingress design, outweighs adding inlet cells to speed inflation time? Perhaps there are other design considerations like the highly curved profile that allows the arc to use so few inlets?

I have flown the Peter Lynn-ChargerV1 and it does take some patience and bar manipulation to get it fully inflated. Once full it seems to stay inflated in all conditions and after landing it deflates very slowly until the vents are opened. The arc has the side fill openings to pre-inflate, a feature most bridled foils don’t need. The 2 arc cell inlet openings may face the wind at the best angle at the top, and bridled foil with a flatter profile can add/space inlets that face the wind at a similar angle to the center cell, along the leading edge. Ozone-R1/Chrono and Flysurfer-Sonic Race foils have inlet cells located even further out towards the wingtips than most other current bridled foil designs. I am guessing that the added weight and drag is offset for higher and/or more consistent internal pressure for these race designs (reducing overall drag). Speed of initial inflation probably is only a concern for these race kites if a re-launch is needed.

Flysurfer on the Speed 3 included a nose valve viewtopic.php?t=2364293 to help depower when closed. This feature did not last, so I’m not sure how effective it was, since the concept has been discontinued. Wondering if there were bridled kites that had minimized the inlet cells to 2 or less and why the design trade was not optimum. Maybe years from now we will not only say "remember those 7 strut LEI kites...", but also " remember those 7 inlet cell foil kites..."?

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:23 pm

It is not very critical how many air intakes foil kite has. The more there is the faster kite inflates, but even two is sufficient. Air intake locations relate to cell count and also to inner structures (or bridle) to some extent. Lower number of intakes makes kite a bit lighter and cheaper to produce but these are not very relevant points. Too many is of course unnecessary.

Highly curved profile (C-shaped canopy curve) doesn't have much to do with air intakes, if at all. Race kites have huge cell count so they need quite many air intakes to ensure inflation, especially for the wingtips.

PL arcs have excellent air tightness because they have glued seams. They also have relatively wide cells so air intakes are also wide and efficient.

mar menor
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 70kgs
Local Beach: Mar Menor - los narejos ,la llana, Cabo de palos
Favorite Beaches: Calblanque, El Pinet
Gear: Ozone Alpha V2 10m,PLKB Ozone Alpha v1 8m,PLKB Synergy and Swell 8m & 6m
Boards-Groove skate and moses 633 and 679,north fish.ocean rodeo mako,Nobile 666
Brand Affiliation: Ozone ,PLKB,Prolimit

Postby mar menor » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:39 pm

Am learning to foil normally on one struts (12 & 9 LF Solo )and have a 9m Hyperlink to use when the crashes are less frequent...could be some time..
also have a 13m venom ( = to a 10 LEI),going to give it a go when its mid teens...

kitejumping
Medium Poster
Gear: Peter Lynn and Flysurfer kites

Postby kitejumping » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:23 pm

The 22.5m is super fun for snowkiting when the wind picks up to 15-20mph.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:44 pm

22.5 and 15 mph :rollgrin:

kitejumping
Medium Poster
Gear: Peter Lynn and Flysurfer kites

Postby kitejumping » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:46 pm

PugetSoundKiter wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:31 am
Maybe years from now we will not only say "remember those 7 strut LEI kites...", but also " remember those 7 inlet cell foil kites..."?
The main difference I've noticed between 5 and 7 cell inlet foil kites is how lazy you can be as far as preinflation before launch. Once in the air they seem to fly the same.

Return to “Foil Kites”