Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Sonic FR 11 Long Mixer Test

Postby foilholio » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:34 am

a99 wrote: Even if its not Flysurfer problem their can release official recommendations for used and shrinked their foils retunings.
You may find them somewhere. Information is not always easy to find. Flysurfer users were ahead of them on this stuff, and they are on forums like this.
a99 wrote: Still from their not any word kr recommendation how to do retuning in shrinking cases as for bcz can be lot of differences.
Main problem is no adjustment for Z as standard... People would find things much easier to do and understand if there was.
HaylingBilly wrote:C Pulleyline was 91.5cm
That is going to limit depower causing stalling in light wind.
HaylingBilly wrote:and another 95.5cm
Would cause the kite to fly to one side with enough depower. You could make an extension on the front or replace them.
HaylingBilly wrote:A Pulleylines were out as well by 7 and 9 cm
You mean B pulley lines? I don't have the specifics of the Sonic FR mixer on hand, but if it's the same as older mixers then this length is not really important. The mixer test will correct for it, but not the C pulley length correctly. The C PL limits the B PL, or it did on older ones.

OK guys before you go to all this measuring stuff, which is not really needed. Stretch all the bridles to symmetric . Compensate and level mixer for reduced B limit(shrunk C PL and other reasons). Adjust Z, most likely loosen, till kite flys as you like.
direnc wrote: Confusion starts when you expect a line to be longer and it turns out to be shorter because of shrinkage, etc...
Well why would you assume it would be longer? Where ever you got that information has not consulted reality :-)

haare
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lahti, Finland
Favorite Beaches: Egypt - Marsa Alam
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Zeeko spitfire
F one diablo 6.4 and 8
Flysurfer sonic 2 11, 13, 18
Elf Joker 15

Postby haare » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:55 am

Hi,

I have done the long mixer test to all of my flysurfer sonics. Race kites are quite prone to frontal stalls and even frontal collapses. I would tune little by little towards correct measurements.Most likely if you tune it all the way to correct, it will be unstable

HaylingBilly
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hayling Island U.K.
Favorite Beaches: Gotta be Hayling Island...
Gear: Slingshot Lift Foil, Liquid Force 12m solo, FS Sonic11 & 15, Naish Pivot 10m, Best TS 10m, Blade Trigger 7m, FS Unity 10, FS Peak4 8.
Moses Onda, Lift/Slingshot NF2

Postby HaylingBilly » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:26 pm

I have managed to turn my FR11 into a joy to use compared to before. I spent an hour on the beach playing with the mixer adjustments the other day. It has gone from being annoying with tip tucks every time i gybe on my foil to being a really stable kite that i feel able to attempt tacks with, knowing that it wont tuck a tip when i fall off.
I went from the Stock settings at the kite along a1 b1 c1 br1 with the Front-Main and Back-Main pegged together into the ground of a1(0), b1(44mm shorter), c1(17mm longer), br1(not measured). Like this I could not fly the kite without the tips tucked in, just impossible.
Now I have ended up at: a1(0), b1(80mm shorter), c1(60mm shorter), br1(150mm longer). I have pretty much run out of adjustment on C-Main, so I suspect the C pulley will be running up against the knot in C-Pulleyline with my bar pushed away; but for the kite to be so much more usable its worth it to me.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:49 pm

HaylingBilly wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:26 pm
Now I have ended up at: a1(0), b1(80mm shorter), c1(60mm shorter), br1(150mm longer). I have pretty much run out of adjustment on C-Main, so I suspect the C pulley will be running up against the knot in C-Pulleyline with my bar pushed away; but for the kite to be so much more usable its worth it to me.
That's what stopped all tip truck issues on my sonic fr 15m also. I did the change by adding a 75mm pigtail to the a mains. This gives the same effect as shortening b, c, and z without any issues with pulley range.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:02 pm

Rule #1 is to swap spare-part lines (yellow) if kite is flying badly. Spare-part lines are wear parts. On non-maintained kite I have broken several of those when going for jump..

Then check bar lines are equal in length. Now do the mixer test & reset.

If still behaving badly I'd contact factory and/or play with pig tails.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:45 am

davesails7 wrote:without any issues with pulley range
Why would the pulley range change? What you have changed is the B limit, which affects depower, range, speed.
Last edited by foilholio on Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

HaylingBilly
Rare Poster
Gear: Slingshot Lift Foil, Liquid Force 12m solo, FS Sonic11 & 15, Naish Pivot 10m, Best TS 10m, Blade Trigger 7m, FS Unity 10, FS Peak4 8.

Postby HaylingBilly » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:00 am

I'm going to have to read that through with a diagram infront of me, several times, to even start to get my head around it!

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:17 pm

Understanding the mixer is as simple as , understanding it's ratios and it has limits. If you adjust A or B you change one of the limits. You can change the profile with only adjusting C and Z. Altering Z you can effect the other limit, which more relates to relaunch.
Last edited by foilholio on Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

HaylingBilly
Rare Poster

Postby HaylingBilly » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:47 am

Just to be clear, those measurements are at the bottom skin of the kite, not at the top of the mixer.
As it flys well now, I may back off from this flat, stable profile over the next fews uses, until I get to a point where the tips are tucking again.
It just flys so differently compared to previously that it was a bit of a shock to find it could be tamed and made friendly; and I need it friendly as I am going to fall off a lot learning to tack!

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:26 am

Ok well, if they are not the numbers you changed the kite at the mixer then ignore mine, which I deleted not to confuse anyone.

If you tell me how much you altered the mixer with A and Z level, I can give you the "correct" numbers to alter C and Z instead. If you also measure your C pulley line, I can factor in the amount to correct your depower as well.

Return to “Foil Kites”